Car help - Stuck Oil Filter

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by SickBoy254698, Oct 9, 2009.

1. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    This isn't really the forum for this but Google is getting me nowhere fast. I have a 2005 Chevy Imapala (irrelevant but whatever) and the Oil Filter is stuck in place. I have the special little do hicky that you put on the end of a rachet but it's not budging at all. My right hand is also bruised and cut in numerous places thanks to that POS little do hicky cause it slips off the filter half the time. Any thing I can do besides take it to Jiffy Lube? It's only $10 more to have someone else do it but it's the principle of the matter. Stupid things like this just irritate the crap out of me.

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

sickboy, excuse my "mechanical" english, but the tool you refer it's something like this ?

[​IMG]

It's the only tool I've found reliable over time. It takes space (I don't know your car), I've used from 15 years on an *really* old Jeep Wrangler and in a 88' Jeep Wagoneer

I hope it helps. I know you can still buy it in some places.

Good luck with the oil filter

3. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Get an oil filter wrench. It's a handle with a flexible piece of metal that can be wrapped around the filter, and the filter can come off.

Sometimes, you can stab it with a screwdriver and use that as a wrench. Personally I prefer the former option if you can do it.

Edit: looks like ibitato beat me to the post. Well a picture is a better illustration than words anyway.

4. panZEr330

panZEr330 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX280 @666/2333
    Prior diesel mechanic here, don't give up!

[​IMG]

Get yourself one of those, take it out of the box in the autoparts store and make sure it fits your car's filter nice. When you finally get it off make sure it doesn't leave the rubber gasket/o-ring stuck to the filter housing or anything. Also rub a bit of oil on the new filter's gasket/o-ring before putting it back on.

When filling an engine I usually go by what the manufacturer says is the oil capacity, and not what the dipstick says. Put 5w30 in there too, not 10w.

Good luck!

----EDIT: wow someone posted the same thing while I was typing HA

Also, I've used nylon strap style filter wrenches and they've saved my butt a few times

5. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    if you still cant get it off after using the proper tools, you could try hammering a screwdriver through it near the top and just turn it while the screwdriver is still in it, ive seen it done many times before

6. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I've also used a large screwdrive and have both ran it completely through the filter then turned and have tapped it loose where the filter meets the mounting block. Some dilligent tapping has loosened them up. Make sure to put a thin film of oil on the new gasket so this doesn't happen again. And remember to tighten it "hand tight" and then just a little bit more. These things don't have to over tightened.

7. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    ^ works, follow advice above.

8. SickBoy254698

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I'm not sure if there is enough room for this bad boy. I'll give it a shot but you wouldn't believe the setup of this engine. You have to remove the Coolant Reservoir in order to access to the Power Steering Fluid Inlet. Even then you still have to attach a hose to a funnel since it's half way down the engine and blocked by the Alternator and belt. I always use 5w-30 and put oil on the filter threads. Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna go buy that stupid wrench, remove the filter, and then return it tomorrow because I already bought a tool that doesn't freakin work.

I tried the screwdriver once on my previous car and it was a huge FAIL for me. I thought I changed the oil the last time but I was wrong and that's the only reason this is happening. I always hand tighten the filter on so this little fiasco does not occur. It would be nice if the morons at Jiffy Lube and other places would do the same.

Personally I think this is a huge conspiracy perpetrated by auto manufacturers and repair shops everywhere. (Not really I'm just pissed so humour me.) They put it on too tight so you have to take it to them to get the oil changed. It's just ridiculous. On my last car the fuel filter that was put on at the factory could only be removed with a special tool that can be found nowhere. I had to use a wrench to snap the filter off the line so I could change it. The same with the door panels. If I was really into working on my car I would have to have a garage full of tools that only do one thing and are useless except for that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. Grifty

Grifty Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870 1GB
    if you dont want to hammer a screwdriver through it you could always drill a hole in it first and then put the screwdriver in and turn it

10. SickBoy254698

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    The Auto parts store is only half a mile away. I'm gonna go that route just in case. I don't want to have to walk over there if I FAIL again. :stewpid:

11. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Was this like what you bought? There are different styles of the "end grip" this one is getting to be common.

[​IMG]

12. SickBoy254698

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I wish. That one probably works. This is the POS I wasted $4 on.

[​IMG]

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Yeah, those tend to be too specific and generally are hard to use. You can get a decent "end grip" style with some diligent searching. I'd stay away from the cheap places and spend the money on something good from a reputable tool place. Don't know if you're in the US or not. But Sears has a decent selection of this type. Or you could possibly order from places like Snap-On, Matco, etc. Farm stores have a good selection as well. Please let us know how it all works out for you. :)

14. SickBoy254698

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I bought the strap wrench and it took all of five minutes to change my oil with it. Thanks for the advice. I'm still returning it tomorrow though. When I was at the store I saw the POS tool that wouldn't work and saw that it actually cost me more than the strap wrench. Naturally I find the irony in this situation greatly irritating.

This will be the last time I go cheap and do it myself. Minor repairs are one thing when it comes to saving money. I don't mind doing those since it's usually worth it. This on the other is just stupid. I wont even admit how much time I wasted this morning messing with that stupid tool. Saving $8 or $9 isn't worth this much aggrevation and don't forget they always throw in a window wash for free. Just can't beat that with a stick.

15. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    Ive had that happen before....so when all else fails...

[​IMG]

16. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    that will be interesting outcome to use that kind of wrench on a oil filter. op you ever try doing it by hand?some times that way works.

17. b101uk

b101uk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    you cannot get better than oil filter straps that go on 1/2" ratchet/ ½ extension bars

something like this (though this is a low quality one)
    [​IMG]

In 25 years of servicing my own and other peoples cars, tractors, lorries & plant I have not come across a canister filter they wont remove, though I do have a home made one for big stuff that uses seatbelt webbing strap and an old short ¾ extension bar with a ground slot.

18. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Yeah! The strap style kick much as$! Reason I went with an end-grip style was because I kinda took that there wasn't much room around the filter which is all too common. Some auto manufacturers really put their heads in their butts when it comes to things like oil filters.

19. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    I agree with a previous post, hit a screwdriver through the oil filter with a hammer and turn the oil filter with it. Very quick and easy way to remove an oil filter. It is the only method I use.

20. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah for my car I also used one of these:

[​IMG]

but when it started to slip I just put a thin towel on it and it gripped pretty well