Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260 (rumor) abandoning High/Mid Market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dipanzan

dipanzan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    maybe Hilbert knows what is really going on...I mean if it was true then it would be bigger then a Hollywood news:bang:

someone rape this Charlie guy or install a SeXFX PSU on his @ss...that should give him a break:biggun:
    http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1922186

2. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    Charlie Demerjian has no influence, he thinks people aren't laughing at him?

3. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    Holy crap!! this Charlie dude really has it out for Nvidia! I just read some of his other "news columns" , and this guy is relentless. Any of you guys know what his story is? Seems like he's been burned real bad by Nvidia some way or another.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Oh, something from half-accurate.

[​IMG]

5. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    HAHAHAHA Charlie... Thanks for laughs of the day.

I ordered 2 HD 5870s, but this is damn ridicolous bs!

6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    im not sure who this charly is or what he`s been doing,but i think there are to many low-mid range cards,i mean,i had a gtx285,changed it,bought a 275 £100 less than the 285 but there is very little drop in performance despite there being less memory,too many options,i also read the 587o`s arnt as good as the 295`s,never been a fan of ati naf driver support,if i upgrade again i`ll see whats available then,as for nvidia,i cant see that a multi billion dollar firm is going to quit just like that,ati and nvidia have been battling for years thats what keeps the market so healthy,ati`s been one step behind for so long,whats ati`s answer to the quatro series,nothing,just cause they turnout one good card,doent mean js

7. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    More than double the market share of ATI/AMD & they just quit ?. Nvidia must be sick of making the most money :p I loled hard :D .

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i dont believe a single word that charly guy says.

9. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    This isn't a fanboy thread:3eyes:

And Charlie....rofl:banana:

10. kingsface

kingsface Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570 @ 900Mhz AXP
    From the website that is SEMI-ACCURATE.

11. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    What a load of crap. I'm looking forward to GF100 quite a lot :D.

12. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    I laught at anyone who believes this BS, especially given the recent news on the G300 series of chips.

Also BTW, using the same financial reasoning, AMD would be long since bankrupt (they STILL can't make a profit...), etc. NVIDIA, despite its recent losses, is still profitable, controls 70% of the market, and is sitting on a ton of cash. Anyone who thinks they would suddenly abondon its entire market segment is an idiot, plain and simple.

13. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I think the GT200 cards are hitting EOL but NV is not out of the game.

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
  15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Considering that the market share for GPUs is supposedly 35% ATI and 65% NVIDIA, I'd say that if NVIDIA are in trouble then ATI/AMD are totally screwed! ;)

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    That's all about it then. :D

17. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I simply don´t believe in this story. Nvidia may have some real problems, but with the money that they have been making since the 8xxx generation and with the market share they have now on desktop and on workstations, they aren´t going bankrupt anytime soon.

As for ending the 285, 275 and 260, i don´t see a big problem as long as they release the new 3XX cards to the market.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I did read something about NVIDIA posting losses this year but in this current economic climate that's not surprising.

19. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    I've read a couple of this guys articles just to see where he is going with his ranting. Everything this guy seems to write is propaganda. It almost seems as if he used to work for Nvidia, fired, and is feeling bitter..

Just my opinion..

Why bash other companies? Does he not realize that without competition competitors could charge whatever they like?! What a retard. Whoever is employing this guy needs to let him go asap.

20. methylbenzoate

methylbenzoate Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY GTX 550 Ti
    No one knows for sure what goes on behind closed doors in the corporations of the world.

As far as PC gaming goes, the most profitable titles, MMOs such as World of Warcraft, do not have demanding hardware requirements. The shooters that were once the staple of PC gaming, pushing the hardware envelope (Doom 3, Crysis) met with strong backlash initially about the steep hardware requirements. Even once the dust settled on those games, and the initial WOW factor wore off, they were heavily panned by serious players as nothing more than a visual showcase, lacking substance in story and gameplay.

Having said that, most new games to the PC, especially shooters, are disappointing console ports (Far Cry 2, F.E.A.R. 2, and soon Crysis 2). Couple that with the worldwide economic downturn for the majority, you are left with a market in which few have the money to spend frivolously on cutting-edge computer hardware. Even the game consoles are hurting - Sony selling every PS3 at a loss, MS with selling XBOX360s at a loss (then having to fix a huge majority of them from Red Rings of Death). Nintendo is leading the console war. This could be due to them having their lovable proprietary characters (Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, etc.) or an ingenious and fun controller method. Also, the Wii does not differ that much in hardware specifications from the GameCube, which Nintendo admittedly stated was not much different from the hardware of the N64.

Not to derail this thread with console talk, but the point I am trying to make is, regardless of which GPU company is leading the market on performance, means nothing to that company's bottom line - profit.

Take the original article with a grain of salt, but it really would make sense for nvidia to switch its focus to low-end, low-cost GPUs, and cell phone chips, if it is in fact true that there is little to no profit for their high-end GPUs, and if they really are having terrible yields of successful Fermi chips.

Nvidia doesn't owe us anything. Neither does ATI. Neither company truly cares about gamers, or even computer users in general. They are businesses, not non-profit organizations. They exist to make money, not to hold the bragging rights of having the hardware which currently holds the 3DMark world record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.