Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260 (rumor) abandoning High/Mid Market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pagusas

pagusas Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX570
    http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/10...x275-gtx260-abandons-mid-and-high-end-market/

Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, abandons the mid and high end market
    Full on retreat, can't compete with ATI
    by Charlie Demerjian

October 6, 2009

NVIDIA IS KILLING the GTX260, GTX275, and GTX285 with the GTX295 almost assured to follow as Nvidia (Nvidia: NVDA) abandons the high and mid range graphics card market. Due to a massive series of engineering failures, nearly all of the company's product line is financially under water, and mismanagement seems to be killing the company.

Not even an hour after we laid out the financial woes surrounding the Nvidia GTX275 and GTX260, word reached us that they are dead. Normally, this would be an update to the original article, but this news has enough dire implications that it needs its own story. Nvidia is in desperate shape, whoop-ass has turned to ash, and the wagons can't be circled any tighter.

Word from sources deep in the bowels of 2701 San Tomas Expressway tell us that the OEMs have been notified that the GTX285 is EOL'd, the GTX260 is EOL in November or December depending on a few extraneous issues, and the GTX275 will be EOL'd within 2 weeks. I would expect this to happen around the time ATI launches their Juniper based boards, so before October 22.

The lone survivor, maybe, is the GTX295, available only as a complete board from Nvidia. This is said to be almost impossible to get, likely for reasons we went into in the earlier financial article, cost. AIBs do not expect this product to last very long, likely until current stock is depleted.

Basically, engineering failure after engineering failure has left Nvidia without a high end part, they are left waving shells while trying desperately to convince the loyal press that it is real. While that is a problem for the future, the current concern is that they have nothing that can compete with the ATI's Evergreen line, HD5870, HD5850, and the upcoming Junipers.

The G200b based parts can compete on performance, but not at a profit, so they are going to die. Nvidia was booted out of the high end market, and are now abandoning the mid range in a humbling retreat. Expect a similar backpedaling from the rest in January when Cedar and Redwood come out.

There are no half or quarter Fermi derivatives taped out yet, so at a bare minimum, Nvidia has nothing for 2 more quarters. To make matters worse, due to the obscene 530++mm^2 die size on TSMC's 40nm process, Fermi is almost twice the size of its competitor, Cypress/HD5870/HD5850. A cut down half version would cost less but still be barely competitive with Juniper. That chip would once again be vastly larger and more expensive than the ATI equivalents, and that is before board costs are examined. As the product stack waterfalls down, the ratios remain the same, Nvidia cannot be cost competitive for the Evergreen vs Fermi generation, period.

Massive engineering failures and cover-ups, starting with Bumpgate, have defined the company for the last two years. More recently, this includes the G212 failure, G214 fiasco and failure, now morphed into the G215 which is 3Q late so far, if it can ever be made profitably, and the G216 and G218 with the broken GDDR5 controllers. One or two failures are understandable, this many is flat out mismanagement.

As we have been saying all along, there is no savior chip, no plan B, they all failed. Nvidia can make chips and sell them at a loss, or retreat from those markets and lose less money. The only question now is whether or not they can fix their engineering problems and get competitive parts out before they run out of cash. Given that the earliest that this can happen is next summer, it will be very touch and go.

Nvidia has alienated anyone who could be their friend, spawned needless lawsuits that very likely drive the company to a net negative value, and failed to sell the company while it still had a perception of worth. If you ask them, Nvidia will tell you that it is boldly turning itself into a vibrant GPU compute and cell phone chip giant. Should you want to remain in their good graces, this is not to be perceived as an exit strategy.

With the cancellation of the GTX285, GTX275, and GTX260, possibly the GTX295 too, Nvidia is abandoning the entire high end and mid-range graphics market. Expect a reprise in January on the low end. The company is badly mismanaged and hated by the very partners they need to throw them a life preserver.

The only thing that can save them now is a ********* replacement of top management. Sadly, the only people with enough shareholder leverage to do so are those very managers that need to go, so that is very unlikely. Unless there is a white knight or buyer in the wings, it is game over. At $1/year, Jen-Hsun is overpaid.S|A​

Is this legit?

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I sure hope not, no competition leaves everyone SOL. Though this article makes me wonder about that other thread talking about the possibility of Jen-Hsun getting ready to jump ship...

3. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    OMG that is true ? 3dfx same history ? i will be hearthbroken if this actually happen..

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Charlie Demerjian

Charlie Demerjian

Charlie Demerjian

:wanker: :wanker: :wanker:

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I think there should be enough left over stocks in the market to tide them into the gt300 arrival. Just cant see Nvidia leaving a sizable gap in the market for too long even if all their resources are tied up into getting the gt300 out ASAP.

6. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    i gess intel would love this and to take over nvidia.
    would be pretty intresting tbh would maybe finaly see proper physx acceleration on cpu.

7. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Look at who wrote the article, it screams ATI fanboyism, its just Charlie on his anti-Nvidia parade, I wouldn't trust this till it starts showing on more legit sites, and there is nothing is that article even quoted by Nvidia saying that they're abandoning the high end market. No official press release = nothing but Charlie making some pretty stupid claims. Last I heard, the official news was everything was fine.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That is HILARIOUS. Nvidia can't even keep the GTX 285 product in stock the demand is so high. Ever since Nvidia kicked Charlie out the door he's bent on revenge. He latest round of FUD is no different.

9. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    If this is true, can we expect a price raise on ATi's card since they are the only GPU maker for mid - high end GPU? I don't like this news at all and hope its just a false alarm. Although I don't like Nvidia business practice, they are needed to keep the GPU market competitive, at least until Intel GPU is a factor on the mid - high end market.

10. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    i didnt even need to read more than the first sentence to know this is full of crap, so i didnt

11. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Charlie Demerjian? I hate @-Holes like him.

12. dipanzan

dipanzan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 OC 1GB
    bunch of BS:biggun:

13. BlooHook

BlooHook Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW SLI
    Eh, highly unlikely that this is true. If Nvidia were in trouble the public would know when they released their official notice of shutting down operations. They are in an opportune position right now to retake the market and strengthen their lead. Sounds like an ATI fanboy trying to scare the Nvidia fanboys :nerd:

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    This is such a ****ing joke. I mean seriously. How can anyone believe this? They just spend billions in the last year to develop the Fermi architecture, now they are just out? Calling it quits? Abandoning ship? Give me break. Should add a new filter to guru3D, to filter out all the bullshit Charlie spits out.

I mean, it may be true that they are pulling out with the GTX285, 260, etc. But as far as the future, they are definitely still in the game.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Interesting.

16. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I'm quite tempted to just close this thread, but I can't stop laughing about this nut, Charlie Demerjian. :wanker:

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Imagine this was true... And Intel actually brought them out. Imagine the smug look on Intel's bosses face when he walks into Nvidia HQ and tells everyone to bend over so he can rape them one at a time. That would be so funny. Plus AMD would probably pull out of the CPU market as well and just focus on the GPU market, where they would rake in all the cash. Imagine how expensive CPU's and GPU's would become... I have to stop this now I am scaring my self... :cry:

18. JEFFRO503

JEFFRO503 Guest

GPU:
    none
    One an interesting note : guys like myself which are infected with a disease called "computardation".......would believe something like this report.....jump from the Nvidia bus , over to the ATI bus , since we don't want to buy hardware from a failing CO. With that being said , maybe i'm smartening up a little bit....as this has B.S. written all over it. besides....i decided to go ATI on this next build anyways. In any case.....it's bad for US if one of these two major players fold up shop.

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Actually, for the first time ever I'm going to have to agree with Charlie here. I mean his article is definitely sensationalist, and when I first read it I thought he was saying Nvidia is out completely. But right now - the manufacturing costs of the GT200 chip are actually probably increasing as TSMC moves their fab plants over to lower processes. Nvidia can't lower their prices or they'll lose money. And it's not like they have a lower process GT200 chip in the works - so they have two choices, drop it, or drop the prices and lose money. I'm not going to pretend I know which option is cheaper, but they can't continue what they are doing, because it's the worst option.

20. Quixz

Quixz Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 3080TI
    This would be very bad.. :gape:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.