MSI afterburner bug report & suggestion

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NKD

NKD Member

oh ok, I understand, but i have been overclocking for years now, but I just wanted your thought on what it could be, i can understand if you dont want to thanks.

I have no problem overclocking it, I would love to hear what other people thing the issue could be, it overclocks fine, but I get no performance gains. just wondering why the heck that is. lol

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Instead of wondering please carefully read your own thread created @ [H] forum about the same issue. You've got more than detailed answers about protective error correction teqhniques introduced in 5xxx series and slowing down the system in case of too aggressive overclocking. Everything you need to know is there, you just have to read and understand it.

3. lowdog

lowdog Guest

GPU:
    2 x 6990 quad cfx
    See, you da man :)

Thats probably the ONLY real bug, will be a great program once you get that one fixed, realy looking foward to the next release. PM me if you would like me to test it out. :)

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Hi, I tried looking for an answer elsewhere but couldn't find one so that's why I'm posting in this thread. First of all, thank you for your work Unwinder. All of us owe you a debt of gratitude.

My question is: Will I have to uninstall RivaTuner in order to use Afterburner (will they clash) or will they coexist with, say, Afterburner taking priority?

Thanks

5. Unwinder

No, it is not necessary to uninstall it.

6. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Unwinder.... Just a question to ease the stress. Do you think you could make a program that had a list of ingredients for popular beverages or drinks. There are just some cocktails I'd love to make but cant find the right mix. I think a click of a button would be a nice touch.. All the combinations that mix well together. sorta like a long island ice tea.
    Having fun tonight. going to see some rock n roll at the big ACL festival here in austin. Have a few friends over and it crossed my mind. :) Btw.. I've been using your program non-stop. The only issues I've had are most likely driver related. 9.10 rc6 works perfect with the 5870. rc7 is a little different though. Fan speeds change automatically and you cant manually set the fan on more then one gpu.

7. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    I have a question why after upgrading the driver to 191.03 Everest Ultimate and GPU-Z show temp on my Video Card correctly (GPU 56,GPU Ambient 45) but MSI AfterBurner show it a little different , something around 3044440 and 3044452 degree Celsius
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  8. Unwinder

9. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    been testing with rthdrible and using 975/1200 and this runs at 530fps which is 30 more than i get at stock. no stability issues...

however when i run games i get driver not responding messages. so msi seems to be working but is it msi or ati drivers that are causing these errors?

stock clocks i never get any trouble. would like to know if anyone else has tested their overclocks work with games...

(after all the point of overclocking is that it works in the game no?)

10. Unwinder

It is neither MSI nor ATI drivers. You're misunderstanding overclockings basics. You cannot set any high clocks you wish and expect the hardware to be stable. Decrease the clocks.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ? sry perhaps you didnt read my post correctly i have tested the clocks using furmark and rhtidribl and there's no errors.

so how else am i meant to test for overclock stability?

how am I misundestanding overclocking basics?..please enlighten me. i increase voltage and then set a core clock speed then use either furmark/rthidribl to test via a 3d benchmarker/stability test.

sorry dont mean to sound shirty but u are implying i am doing something wrong and for all intensive purposes i cant see what...

12. wekktor

wekktor Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX470 SC @ 780/1620
    Read this: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=235693&page=4

Furmark cant detect errors with 5870. Try to play games and see if it stable and if it is any artifacts.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    right thks for the confirmation. i'll leave the overclocking until there's a better way of testing overclock stability..

running with 1200mv and 900 hasnt caused any issues. still i can run 975/1200mv with champions online but not with cod w@w.

that was why i was suggesting it was a driver issue.

14. Unwinder

You said yourself that your games are unstable with overclocking. This is the only CORRECT way to test overclocking stability. Reduce the clocks until instability disappear. And don't rely on automated clocks testing tools if you are not understanding overclocking basics. And these things are offtopic in this thread.

15. Unwinder

There will be never better overclocking stability testing ways.

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    enough already with this i dont understand overclocking basics.

some games work with 975/1200mv and some dont that's the point and i wasnt to know auto-clock tools dont work with the 5870.

keep your comments to yourself if they arent helpfull thks. any particular reason you feel the need to insult me when i am asking for advice?

17. Unwinder

Please let me decide what is helpful and what is not in this thread. I could ignore your questions since the beginning seeing that they are caused by your understanding rather than by software. And that's what I'll do, welcome to my ignore list.

18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    so furmark and rtidribl never should be used is that what u are saying. i used furmark with a 285 and overclocked on it and never once has a driver crashing with any game. period.

you werent being helpfull unwinder you were telling me that i was being a "noob" in no un-certain terms.

dont worry i wont bother coming to you for advice if i am gonna get my head bitten off for asking a simple question.

if other mods think i was out of line i'll take a ban....:)

19. Unwinder

And once again: you're completely misunderstanding overclocking basic. Period. Basics are: single application / game / stress test can NEVER be used as 100% trustworthy overlcocking tester. There are only two 100% trustworthy overclocking testers, they are installed into two sockets in your head and called eyes. Software tools can be used as helpers, but NEVER as the final verdict giving tools. You're missing the point. Totally.
    And I'd really like to ask you to stop flaming in this thread about overclocking principles. Use other thread please, this one is aimed to collect and fix software issues.

20. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    191.07 fix that problem , but still i do what Unwinder suggest on the evga forum

Quote from Unwider:
    Until the problem is not fixed by NVIDIA, there are still some temporary tricks allowing to solve it. First, you may just perform complete Foreware re-install, this will also cause precached thermal sensor information to be removed from the registry and to be re-detected by ForceWare on the next start. Second, you may manually remove corrupted thermal sensor information from the registry and this way cause the ForceWare to re-detect it on the next reboot. To do it open regedit then search and delete all instances of RmThermalProviderInfo and RmThermalProviderNum entries in the registry. Then reboot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.