The Windows 7 Thread Pt.2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by aircool, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Since all the players use the same video and audio codecs, quality difference isn't an issue, so use WMP/MC just because i can use my remote control with it without any hassle.

Streaming to PS3/360 can cause lower image quality as alot have to be transcoded on the fly if the codecs are slightly off standard, well thats what i hear anyway lol.

Not sure about the GPU acceleration via evr since i'm using Cuda to do it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I have a simple setup a HTPC on my main HDTV & wirelessly stream to my Xbox 360 on my other HDTV. I installed shark007 Windows 7 codecs & use WMP. No mess or hassle & plays most every format out there. SPDIF out to my receiver for 7.1 AC3. Works flawless. Technology is a beautiful thing. I don't even go to the theater anymore, much more enjoyable watching films @ home. Looks & sounds like only difference is the screen size. And a proper large screen LCD HDTV picture even looks better & more vivid IMHO.

3. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    You're doing something wrong obviously. Friends and family come over and wonder what the heck I'm doing and state "Man, I never knew you could do that. That's F'ing cool". When I show em the same movie playing elsewhere in the house with full control their jaw drops. Subtitles? not an issue there are various methods to achieve subtitles. You got to know what you're doing before you do it.

4. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    Ya don't believe everything you hear because what you said there is a load of rubbish. I wish I could show you a rip of The Wrestler, or Batman or Wall-E and then see if you think streaming lowers image quality. Quality is easily controllable. Storage is limitless. Like I said to the other guy, you have to know what you are doing before first. HTPC is the lowest denominator of watching movies. Streaming is the 'in' way of doing it. Here's a bit of what I do.

- I rip a movie I bought and put it in a folder. DVD goes on the shelf literally never to be used again. It can be watched by other computers or tv's in my house. I could be up in the attic and enjoy a movie if I wanted. One immediate benefit is removing all the BS intro's and Copyrights.

-I have a drop box folder on my PC my wife or kids can drop their recorded soaps into and she can then watch it from anywhere in the house instantly.

- All pc's and devices in my house can listen to music, watch movies or internet video feeds from anywhere in the house

- I can manage my media from my blackberry including watching movies and listening to music

You can't do jack with your setup compared to what I can do.

5. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Flukester, i mainly download movies from the net, and watch them.
    the quality of those arent as good as your rips. somehow when i stream them to my ps3, the quality lowers quite a bit.
    thats why i prefer a pc direct connected to my tv to watch them. and gpu accelleration is also a big +
    i click on the movie, the media player opens, click download subtitles in the main menu, and its done! cant be easier than this.
    i can understand your point of view that its easy and all, but im sure if you would see the difference i got here with some movies , you would understand me a bit better.
    also i dont have to put on the ps3 to play my movies. (powersaving)

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    And off yo go again, its like some sort of split personality with you.

I would think they were low quality as i have the original BluRay of 2 out of 3 of those movies, and i hope you don't think any rip compares with the original.

Steaming wont lose quality proving the player it is being streamed to can play the original video and audio codecs on said file, in the case of a PS3 and even more so a 360 that isn't always the case, as x264 specs are constantly changing.

Who cares what the "in way" to do things is, this isn't a pop music contest!
    PC gaming is the lowest demominator, shall we all bin them and buy a wii.

HTPC is the highest quality way to do things, the video and audio are sent to the TV and audio receiver exactly as they are, and with a PC you have a far greater control over the video and audio than any standalone player.

Not sure i want to know what your doing in your attic, or why you think having access to TV and movies in all parts of your house is a good thing, but you've went off on a defensive rant again, and no one cares what you can do with your blackberry.

I don't care what you can do with your setup, you want a geek of the week award?
    All i want to do is turn on my PC, watch a movie, downloaded rip or retail disc BluRay based, listen to music, or play a game, and i want to do this at the highest quality possible, on the same single machine in one room, which i think is the healthy way to do it, the only thing i don't use it for is TV, which is HD Satellite.

You really need to take a look at your attitude though.

7. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    Subtitles for me are no big deal. 99.9% of the movies I watch have no subtitles. I have a few I injected subtitles into. I don't watch foreign films either. Again, if you know what you are doing it's just a few mins more of time to put in subtitles.

GPU acceleration means zip to me and I fail to see how it's a big plus. I watch a blu-ray rip of Batman coming through PS3, I select it from a list, it's playing 5 seconds later with no Copyright BS or forced previews in my face. I get 5-10 second clips at the press of a button and I can jump anywhere in a movie within seconds.

Don't even try to tell me a rip off the internet looks better coming over a HTPC on your screen because that's a lot of crap. LOL! A crap rip is a crap rip regardless of what you play it on.Yes downloading movies from the net usually equates to crap quality. That's not what I am doing. I used to download rips but I found they weren't worth my time. I mostly rip my own, for my own personal needs. I have a vast collection of movies. I'm kind of an addict here now. LOL!

If you are losing quality streaming that would be your streaming application settings or codec settings that are downgrading your quality. My PS3 is wired, not wireless because when you start streaming blu-ray your bandwidth requirements shoot up. Wall-E for example is a 8GB file, not 720MB.

I use VirtualDub, TMPGenc as well as various other free software to convert. I don't convert to crap quality because that just defeats the purpose. DVD rips tend to be about 1.5GB to 2GB depending on their play time. I convert to divX/xVid, wmv and mkv retaining even sound quality. I've got some 4TB of storage space so space is no big deal. I have 57 movies in my library and 1375 songs. Not to mention 30+ thousand images of family including family vids.

PS3 takes more power than a PC? Wow, that's news to me. LOL! Now that's grasping at straws there. My PS3 also has power saving and shuts off after an hour of non-use.

8. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    The loss is so slight it's not noticable. You obviously have a reading problem I've already disclosed friends and family who didn't even realize they weren't the seeing the actual media. You are telling me split personality and you are off with your lips taking pokes at me and you don't even know how to stream. :3eyes:

Wrong. You don't know jack of what you are talking about again. My movies are streamed/converted to Linear PCM and/or 5.1 digital. The picture quality on conversion is 98.5%. My receiver tells me exactly what the audio is coming through. I stream to my PS3 in it's native formats. I don't know exactly the limitations of the 360 so I can't comment on the end results.

I don't limit my pc to some useless HTPC. I use my PC while I stream with no adverse performance issues. You watch a movie from your HTPC you are stuck watching the movie. Stupid use of a PC imo. If you think HTPC is the best way then you are just simply out of touch. You want to cry about it, that's your prerogative. Again you said you didn't even know how to stream so clearly a simple HTPC is more than sufficient for you.

My attitude? lol. Dude just because you are not up with the times and playing with a HTPC, not my problem. Glad it works for you, it's just insufficient for my needs and amateur imo. Just because you can't comprehend what's in front of your face and you can't see the benefits of streaming is no reason to insult me.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Flukester have a nice life, i wont respond to your childish way of conversating anymore!
    like Redemption80 said , you do have a attitude problem!

10. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    Suit yourself. Grab a book and read on the net and educate yourself at your own pace. Clearly over your head.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    yep nothing to add here, well done Flukester :thumbup:

12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Who is and who isn't out of touch is pretty obvious. There's more than one way to address a problem and just because something is the best for one person doesn't mean it's automatically the best solution for another one.

Please get back on topic. This is the Windows 7 thread and not the HTPC vs. media server vs. PS3, etc. thread.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Cybermancer, apologies, didnt see your post when i started this.
    My last on this.

The majority of people can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p, alot don't see a difference between DVD and BluRay, what family see or don't see is nothing to do with me.

How many times do i have to say this, i don't want to stream anything, especially to my PS3 which on retail BluRays is slightly lower quality image wise than my PC, its not huge, but its enough for me to notice, and this will be exaggerated with compressed x264 rips, and i haven't even looked at an XviD file in over 2years

Yeah yeah, keep telling yourself that.
    Are the movies streamed or converted, streamed is lossless, converted isn't.
    If for example the file has DTS 96/24 on the PC, does it have DTS 96/24 when streamed to the PS3, or AC3 or standard DTS.
    No x264 files have linear PCM or even mp3 tracks, PCM especially is too large, XviD's with mp3 sound will show up as that though as most receiver don't decode mp3, and as i said XviD's are the lowest of the low quality wise.
    Any picture conversion will lose quality, no matter how high the %, especially if it is transcoded and not encoded.

Are you serious??
    Why would i need my PC for anything else while im watching a movie, IM WATCHING THE MOVIE!!
    Do you generally stream a movie to your PS3, then get up and leave the movie to go use your PC :bang:
    If i really wanted, i could have half of my screen running a movie as i type this post, or even hook up a small monitor to write this post while the movie plays on my TV, not that i would do such a useless thing.

Im out of touch with nothing, you sound like your from the ipod generation where quality has been lost infavour of ease of use, and again streaming is useless and detrimental for me.

Up with the times, you must be high.
    Streaming is for people using game consoles or the masses where quality isn't important, and ease of use takes precedent, the same people who have lots of mp3 files, but haven't even hear of high res music.

Streaming has no benefits for some people, why would i want to stream a movie from my PC to my PS3 when they are both beside my TV, and the PC give me better quality.

Your arrogance is just not needed, and your knowledge nowhere what you think it is.

14. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Next person to continue this off topic discussion is getting an infraction.

Please take this warning serious.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  15. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    soo hmmm will the keys released on oct 22 work on rtm?

16. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes, RTM and the retail version are exactly the same.

17. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    sorry wont happen again

18. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    yes and rtm shows us that they made so good job........one fix need the 59hz bug and will be perfect...:banana:

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hmmm... A blatant case of the pot calling the kettle black....?

I was never here.. kthxbi

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I tried changing the bootscreen for windows 7 to something different,,but none of the vista bootscreen changers work on windows 7.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.