The Windows 7 Thread Pt.2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by aircool, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    lol are you talking about windows experience Index?Who gives a **** about that!:) go play some games!

2. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Need A great codec package for Windows 7? Look no further.

:banana: Just a heads up, don't know if it has been mentioned but shark007.net offers a really great Windows 7 codec package, it's very simple to install. He offers a complete package for Windows 7 x86 & and add-on package for x64 support. It covers everything and is managed very well.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hmm im using klite without any problems. (been using them for years, without a single fail)

4. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No reason to change if your happy with what you have. This is just simple to use & put together very well. I always found klite & other codec packages messy. With this if I want to remove it hassle free, I can uninstall it with two mouse clicks. Also all the codec setting are within one console, but I haven't used klite in a couple years so maybe its the same now.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i've never used a codec pack in my life, but with Windows7 being quite forceful over what video and audio codecs get used, i had to get it to disable the default ones, and found out its actually very good, and if you add CoreAVC manually, you have the best quality you can get on the PC.

:)

6. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    I use Shark007 for Win7. Install, don't touch a thing. Uninstalls leaving nothing behind.

Essentially supports amr | mpc | ofr | divx | mka | ape | flac | evo | flv | m4b | mkv | ogg | ogv | ogm | rmvb | xvid

7. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    thats exactly what my point, korn666. WEI is useless when it comes for bench a computer. How is it possible that a simple Q8200 even at 3.15GHz passes a mighty E8400 at the same speed. What does exactly this "benchmark" sees in the quad core that give it's the advantage over the dual core? +2 core.....? lol.

Yo playing some games, with my E8400 which really boost! =)

8. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well it is mostly useless. But it's a benchmark for how windows will perform. A quad core offers the ability to better multitask in Windows.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    As above, it's not a games benchmark, its a Windows one, there are many things which would benefit from a quad core, even for games i'm sure wei would be a good judge of whats fit for optimal GTAIV.

10. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    im using default wmp12 and kmplayer for other files and it works great, i didnt have to install any codecs at all :D

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Thats one of the best things about Windows7, WMP12 plays all XviD's mpeg's, DVDs and even h264 files out the box, add haali media splitter and it even plays mkv's, and while better quality can be had by using ffdshow and CoreAVC, its not too far off them.

Really is a great OS for games or a HTPC, just wish there was a 64bit version of CoreAVC and Flash, but neither are MS's fault.

12. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    I like Win7 but WMP it can't stream mkv and a lot of other types. To label it a HTPC is a little far stretched too me, excessive almost. WMP lacks real administration/control on how you stream. Quality, buffering, port administration, web administration, album art, movie art support non-existent. WMP is like Games Explorer, half finished and really not worth anyones time. I still continue to use 3rd party solutions to fill gaps MS never filled to begin with. It all depends on what you need. On Win7 I use MediaMonkey(it is the best) to play and keep track of my library of audio files. I use PS3Media Server to stream all my movie library. I use Win7 because it'll be mainstream soon enough and I just find it faster than Vista. I found this page helped in terms of what you need for Win7 and what you need. Might help someone. http://on10.net/blogs/nic/Top-15-Essential-Apps--Codecs-post-Windows-7-Install/

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Think your missing something.

Why would you need to stream anything with a HTPC, its connected straight to your TV and home theatre system.

WMP may need a few third party additions to make it perfect, but nothing complicated.
    With a small reg hack, i have all my flac files in WMP and 7MC, covers and all.
    With the My Movies3 app, i have all my movies indexed, with front and back covers, and can even group films by directors/actors etc.
    PowerDVD and TMT3 both integrate into MediaCentre, and you can even stream online TV in HD from iplayer, hulu and various other online on demand TV services using TunerFree MCE, all of the above useable with a remote control from the comfort of my sofa.

Nothing far fetched or excessive for me, as i have the ease of use of a standalone system, with the configurability of a PC, which is why my BD player and PS3 rarely get used.

14. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:

A few? Out of the box it is nothing but a basic HTPC and for anyone that is not a n00b who really wants to 'stream', WMP is more a pain in the arse than it's worth. PS3Media server can do most of what you say and it's free. I'm curious though exactly what 'reg hack' you are talking about that enables all media art with WMP, I haven't come across that yet. I was thinking of using MediaPlayer as a secondary source for streaming. :) TunerFree MCE, is just garbage. I got better things to watch than waste bandwidth on that.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm still confused as to why someone would use an HTPC to stream anything to a PS3, when the PC itself is a better quality player, as well as alot of stuff having to be transcoded on the fly.
    If you don't have your PC connected to your TV, and stream to the PS3, its just a PC, not a HTPC.

Do you mean media art with mp3 and .wav as that is fine for me by default, if i want to add flac files i use the below.
    http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/playing-flac-files-in-media-center.html

I will still keep using Foobar though until WMP/MC supports wasapi output.

TunerFree MCE is perfect for people who want to stream files legally, as it indexes all the big TV streaming websites and puts it into one nice tidy GUI, including live TV, nothing garbage about it, i personally never use it, but can you recommend something legal that is better?

16. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    Yeah I am media streaming from my PC to all devices in the house. You are right though, I'm not necessarily a HTPC but rather a Media Server. My PS3 is a client as is my Wii, PSP and DS. The PS3 to my 52" and the Wii to my smaller 46" projection entertainment systems. PSP and DS are for lounging in backyard to watch a movie or music on headphones from my library.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, mine is my main source of movies, games and music, with all my standalone players taking a back seat most of the time.

Streaming, i have no idea about as have never really done it, just was trying to say if anyone built a cheap PC with a respectable CPU and budget GPU, they would be all set for XviD's, h264, DVD's and mp3/wav's the second W7 was installed, no codecs or even video card drivers needed, for a Windows OS, i was quietly impressed, even if i did set about breaking those built in codecs so i could use my own regular ones lol.

There are also alot of nice app's, plugins that integrate into Media Centre if full control with a remote is more to their liking.

18. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    All you need is PS3Media Server, Haali and Sharks007 codecs and you can stream to your heart's content given you got a PS3 or Xbox 360. TVersity is ok but I find PS3Media Server works better and less overhead. As far as I'm concerned, once you media stream you'll never do anything else. Sorry if I lost track of what you are saying. You are right about Win7 as a HTPC. I just never went that route, I saw MediaCenter in Vista and went, wtf is this!? and I jumped right into streaming. :)

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, sounds good, and i may go that route when my little bro moves out, the lady would prefer that, don't think she's keen on my "hold on till i get the refresh rate and dynamic range sorted" when going from one source to the other lol.

For anyone looking at 7 as a MC, would recommend this plugin, much nicer looking than the default MC movies and videos, also grabs front and back covers of DVD/BluRay even HD DVD movies for your collection.
    http://www.mymovies.dk/screenshots.aspx

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    pretty good setup. got it setup the exact way as you lol (besides the classic media player, which i think pwnz :D )
    the reason why i dont stream through my ps3 is subtitles and poor quality of movies.
    somehow with a pc direct connected it gives me superiour image quality over the streaming of the ps3. (Think that EVR setting might cause this (Gpu acceleration) ) http://www.guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu-guide/4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.