GTX 295 Holds On To The Crown

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LedHed, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Notice I say ATI card though. :D The 9800GTX+ I had was longer than my mobo. I think it was like 11-12 inches.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Yeah but LedHed was cracking on someone pointing out it was the fastest SINGLE CARD solution which is true. It is not however, the fastest GPU. No offense but sloppy use of terminology isn't an excuse even though it is common.:)

3. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I believe he was cracking on me and all I said is did the GTX 285 and 4870X2 get classified into Single and Dual.

4. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    They are in both senses.

They're both single cards, with dual gpus. It's hard to argue on it, because a lot of people insist that they're 2 video cards. In that logic then, dual core, tri core, and quad core cpus are nothing multiple cpus, which is false.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Uh what? One is single GPU the other is dual GPU.

Not hard to argue at all when they are independent GPU's unlike multiple cores on the same die.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    As I said, sloppy use of terminology....

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm sorry, I thought he said 295 instead of 285. My fault. :D

As for the rest of the post, it shouldn't be hard, but a lot of people don't understand what the cards are. Now can't really say this as far as ATI's case since their X2 models have all been on 1 pcb, but the 7900gx2, the 9800gx2, and the 295 with 2 pcbs were all a single video card that were multiple gpu solutions. A lot of people try to argue that, saying that multiple gpus makes it a multiple video card solution. Yes, the older nvidia cards like that did have 2 pcbs, but there was only 1 interface port for pcie. Making it, a single video card!

8. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    It doesn't make a single card, since in both the cases they work in SLI/CFX.

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It does though. Yes, there needs to be a bridge between the 2 pcbs, or 2 gpus. However, internal sli/cfx do not work as the same as crossfiring or sli'ing 2 4890s or 2 gtx 280s. These are single cards, since they only have 1 interface port.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i'll agree to that, there's no difference between two cards and one card with multiple GPU's because they both work the same way

11. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    So then there's nothing different with running 2 dual cores at 2.6 ghz versus a quad core at 2.6 ghz? Since they both work the same way you know. :D

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Yes it's a single card (dual or single PCB being irrelevant) with 2 GPU's in SLI. Functionally equivalent (not identical) to two single cards in SLI.

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    That's what I'm saying.

The number of PCBs don't matter really, it's how many actual cards you have. And when I say cards, I mean cards that can work indepently on their own without the other. multi gpu solutions like the 295 or 4870x2 can't work on their own. You can disable a core if needed, but you can't take it out.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So then if I have a motherboard with 2 CPU's installed it would be ok to test it against your motherboard which only has one?

You think that would be a fair contest?

I don't.

15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I don't believe you correctly undertsood what I posted.

To wit:

Yeah but LedHed was cracking on someone pointing out it was the fastest SINGLE CARD solution which is true. It is not however, the fastest GPU. No offense but sloppy use of terminology isn't an excuse even though it is common.

And again:

Yes it's a single card (dual or single PCB being irrelevant) with 2 GPU's in SLI. Functionally equivalent (not identical) to two single cards in SLI.

Which means essentially you're comparing a single GPU to an SLI setup regardless if that SLI set up is contained in a single card or in two separate cards. As they are as I stated, "functionally equivalent".
    Better now?:3eyes:

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not really - once you start using multi threaded applications it wouldn't even be a contest. Then you've got extra Pixel Pipelines and vram and Vertex Shaders as well...although it wouild really come down to the software in the end - weather it was written with SLI in mind.

maybe I'm not following you. I's been a long weekend.. *shrugs*

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

I pointed out the ATI GPU is the fastest single GPU and is barely beaten by an 295 which is a SLI set up. What other conclusion is there but that I agree that comparing a mutiple GPU set up to a single GPU isn't a one to one comparison an is inherently unfair. The only agreement I had with LedHed is he could claim a pyrrhic victory with the 295. But so what right? As soon as ATI comes out with their X2 it will likely crush the 295.

18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Then the GT300 and the GT300X2.. it's a cycle of madness!!!!!

19. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Too bad its always the other way. Multi GPU will ALWAYS have higher spread between minimum and average FPS. I have had 3 GTX 295s, quite a few SLi ssetups and a few CF setups and the minimum to average difference is almost ridiculous compared to any single GPU card.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nopes
    GTX260 SLI is faster than 295GTX.
    GTX285 SLI is faster then a ASUS Mars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.