NFS Shift

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sabbath, Feb 2, 2009.

1. bobekk

bobekk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 VENTUS 3X
    how u want to drift with aid ON?

turn all aids off then have fun

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm really digging this game now I can actually play it! Seems that it works perfectly (1920x1200, 8X AA, 16X AF, V-Sync on, everything else on High) but only on Windows 7 RC (64-bit). If I try to run the game from the same install folder on Vista SP2 (64-bit) the game crashes everything time after the intro video to the first race, straight after it finishes loading.

I've been trying to identify the cause by having the same background apps running in the system tray and even installing all the same drivers, including graphics drivers (190.62 WHQL) and PhysX (9.09.0814) to no avail. Whatever the problem is it's related to Vista itself as I have all the same things running on 7 as I do Vista. I even tried downloading and installing the demo, which uses a newer v1.01 executable, but that still crashes too in Vista but, yep you guessed, works fine in 7!

Anyway SHIFT itself, awesome racing, love the dashboard view and sense of speed, love the photo mode, hate the drift events with their horrid handling and having to upload the photos to a website instead of saving them locally to the hard drive. Overall very enjoyable so far and utterly addictive.

3. nzweers

nzweers Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 980Ti iChill Ultra
    Thank you! Menu, while looking at a spinning car, just went up from 23 fps to 44 fps! That is in crossfire mode, 2x 4850 512mb. Totally sweet. I can finally start to play this game for real!

EDIT: nfs.exe give 44 fps too, maybe that will fix your flickering vinyls. Nfs.exe is actually undercover, the latest nfs game and probably the closest engine.

My fix is to delete C:\Users\yourname\Documents\NFS SHIFT\graphicsconfig.xml every time it crashes at the start of a race. It gets like this once every three games on my machine and this always fixes it. You do have to set the graphics settings right ingame, but you get real good at that if you do that more often :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    or grid.exe, thats the closest engine :p

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    i have grid and shift...grid is better by far and i knew it would be before shift was released...i mean come on......EA's 1 year turn around NFS game was gonna be fantastic?NO CHANCE...there will be another NFS title next year and the year after that and the year after that and so on zzZZzz the first one was the best on the 3D0(1994/95) for its crashes and floating camera angles..the rest have been average

6. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Shift has been in development for way longer than a year. It used to be called The Ferrari Project, which was announced in Jan 2008 but was already way into development.

And IMO it's way better than GRID. GRID is an awful game with regards to car handling. Shift is nowhere near realistic but it's much better than GRID.

7. Flukester

Flukester Banned

GPU:
    eVga GTX 260 Core216 896M
    Just got it today. Great game runs well here. Like the feel of this one and not as much BS as past ones. I think GRID is a great game too actually. Shift is closer to real thing though or sure feels better.

8. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Controls & drifting seem fine to me, just gotta tweak the car until is responds well to the track your on.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The NFS games aren't done by the same teams, and this was started well before Undercover was even released, and if this sells well and with the positive reviews, there could be more like this.

For the street racing people there is supposed to be a MMORG (lol) sequel to Undercover out for PC only this year, and the Burnout Paradise developers are rumoured to be working on a NFS game too.

10. tester3000

tester3000 New Member

GPU:
    2x BFG 8800GT 512mb SLi
    I can't get SLi working on this game. I have 2 8800GT's in SLi and i have the latest drivers and the SLI PROFILE UPDATE 2 from nvidia. But when i check my temps,, i can see that only 1 gpu is being used. Can anyone help? Thanks.

11. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    great game , i have just finish the game and one word Awsome :D , the handling of the cars are great and the tweaking options for the cars are great ( i got a Vette that cannot be beaten online :D Tweaked suspension and engine to death. Im happy, finally EA released something decent after long time releasing crappy games.

12. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    well, all i gotta say is i tried the demo today.

i have a very nice logitech G25, and i could not for the life of me get it to recognize it! nothing i did would get it to work.

so, i definitely wont get this one.

13. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    goto nvidia control panel,manage 3d settings/program settings/add (and find your shift.exe
    Go down to sli performance mode and set to AFR2, apply it and enjoy:)

14. Leodie

Leodie Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    To get rid of the sliding cars you must change the suspension settings. Read the description of each setting and adjust it. It may take a while to learn, but its fun when you know what you are doing. Every change makes a noticeable difference.

I don´t have any problems with sliding cars anymore, now its pure fun to play :D

(Using cheap gamepad)

Great NFS, now only the cops are missing. Have´nt been enjoying NFS this much since NFS:HP2.

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    i get givin them to drive, from the drift races so their all different, if i have my own drift car can i use that and not the car the game gives me.

will try this

on another note i have not FULLY completed TEAR1 and got all stars and came first in all of them, ive noticed in TEAR2 u can still use TEAR1 cars, can i ask is it worth buying a car from all TEARS, also ive also noticed that the cars stats are weird

i.e...

take the rating of a car might say 10.00 but a car rated 9.70 has better stats in the meter bars below.....so of course i buy the best car in that tear with the highest meter bars...but is that the best thing to do as dos the higher rating mean its faster after i add all mods to it??

please help me out with points above thanks guys

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Also, the Oversteer/Understeer setting in the quick car setup seems to be the wrong way around. Setting it to full oversteer seems to give the best handling.

17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Great game so far, seems really polished for an arcade racer meets simulation and other than minor issues like the gamepad vibration not happening at the proper times I can't really fault it. Got to say after NFS: undercover I really thought the franchise was dead and buried, a pleasant surprise.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2009
  18. chrishathaway

chrishathaway Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 @ 1105/1645
    That does the trick, but why oh why! There is no reasonable explanation for that, there really is'nt! But it lets me play, so yay! Thanks!

So the patch work is simple then EA!

1) Stop that shenanigans with the gfx config file
    2) Stop boning people with PhysX
    3) Optimise gfx routine, ie shadows etc that are way to performance heavy!
    4) Try testing your games on the fairly limited versions of Windows and gfx chipsets!

19. Death_LV

Death_LV Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4090 GAMING
    more bugs in the game i hate.

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The game runs silky smooth everything maxed here 1440x900 4xAA and 16xAF.

I don't really like this game. Main problem is the handling, it just doesn't feel right.