no advertising please

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Princess_Frosty, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess_Frosty

Princess_Frosty Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Due to popular demand I've added an "add game" button at the bottom of the front page, this submits a game to an admin for review. Let me know if you have any problems with it.

])rStrangelove, anything outside the game menu is considerd a fail, even if it's supported through ini/cfg tweaks, the exact criteria are listed on the standards page www.pcgamingstandards.com/Standards.aspx

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Maybe you should add a list of supported operating systems as well (or just the latest one it's working with)?

Maybe you could also link to the latest patch instead of "just" mentioning the latest one?

Some of the round corners of your boxes don't look as good as they could:

[​IMG]

(The left box's corners look bad compared to the ones on the right.)

Tbh, I don't like the top navi. It's too simple and looks like form the 90ies. Imo, you should at least highlight in which section you are, too. Here are a few ideas:

http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/02/26/navigation-menus-trends-and-examples/
    http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/galleries/inspirationalnavigation-menus/
    http://vandelaydesign.com/blog/galleries/menu-design-part-two/

When you click on "Click here to add a game to the database." it reloads the whole page and jumps to the top of the page. Use some AJAX to dynamically add the additional content. You wrote that you know JavaScript on the about page, so this shouldn't be too complicated for you, I guess. :nerd:

The search function isn't working 100%. For example: when I'm searching for "eld" it shows "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion" and "Battlefield 2" which is still fine, so far. When I'm searching for "eld the" it doesn't show anything because the search term isn't split into two items (which would bring up "The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion") - instead it is literally looking for "eld the" in the database which it can't find obviously.

I hope you don't mind my directness, but besides the above points, all in all it's a good first start and I wish you good luck with it. :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  3. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    need to be able to discuss games on the list being wrong in certain aspects

like battlefield 1.5 isnt hor+ but 1.6 is, and bioshock isnt without the hack

but alot of this stuff can already be found on the widescreen gaming forum

4. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    great work great website bookmarked.

5. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Links to patches is something I considered, I'm not sure about this 100% yet, but I appreciate the feedback it helps me make the more difficult decisions.

I use curvycorners which is a free javascript implimentation, it obviously has some bugs, I have noticed that myself. I will try and sort them out.

I think the suggestion is fantastic, I really like some of them menus, I'm very much considering making the keywords part of the menu, I may also add a highlight for the current selected link as well.

Yes I am aware of this, i've only just written that section last minute this weekend, it still needs a lot of tidying up, the imlimentation I've used to keep scroll position is built into ASP.NET but not all browsers support it, I considered a Javascript replacement but decided that I had done enough coding for the weekend :) I will probably re-visit the add game section and tidy it up mid week when I have some more time.

The search function doesn't recognise seperate words, it's a bit too exact at the moment as has been mentioned by some people such as "half life" not finding "half-life" this is something I will re-write soon.

Quite the opposite I prefer directness, you've given me a lot of good information which i will try and use to improve the site to the best of my ability, not all of it will be done straight away since I have limited time to work on it, but it's all noted.

I only list battlefield 2 which latest patch supports Horz+ for 16:9 and 16:10, although suffers from stretched HUD so I'm told.

Bioshock got a patch to 1.1 and supports an FOV clamp for widescreen, only the original unpatched game fails widescreen support, I maybe mistaken here my information was taken from patch notes and ****.

Thank you everyone for your comments, I appreciate the feedback :)

6. volkov956

volkov956 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 12GB
    all i would recommend is a button to bring up the game list in full or in Alpabetical Format instead of just using Search

7. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Yeah, sections [A - Z] would be good to find games quickly. Sometimes you don't remember which games you want a fix for, just surfing through the gameslist can give you ideas.

8. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    ARMA 2 Alt Tab is working for me. Also V-synch by using Ati Tray Tool.

9. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Arma 2 doesn't pass either of the criteria, Alt tab is still a widely reported issue and Vsync isn't in the menu, which would be a pass if the game didn't force it on, but it does.

External applications like ATI Tray Tools and other methods of foricing AA/AF and Vsync will be added as fixes for games once I've had time to write a comprahensive guide to using these applications.

10. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Whoa, great idea, a LOT of potential. I like it. :D

11. Flakk

Flakk Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    nice website rly like it :)

12. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Thanks for the kind comments :)

13. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    i gave the site to 3 of my friends
    they found it interesting and usefull, especially for one of them that has doom 3 installed and needed widescreen res. thank you!

14. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    I like it very much too, btw there is a "fix" (Racer_S hack) for Assassin`s Creed, making it run hor+ on triplehead resolutions, up to 5040x1050, but at the site it presents a big red X for this game on wide+ column.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  15. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    I'm honestly really pleased that people are already finding the site helpful :)

Good point, i've updated this to point to **** and the racer_s hack.

One thing I should note some games may be added simply with their criteria listed and then fixes added afterwards. The database is constantly evolving and getting more accurate over time as people publish fixes and patches are made. Any errors you spot like thales100 are valuable for the site, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

16. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    Thanks, sounds great. :)

17. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    An important update today, i've added a generic fix page to the website http://www.pcgamingstandards.com/GraphicsFix.aspx

This page has guides for setting AA/AF and Vsync on/off in the driver control panel or with a 3rd party application.

This means any game that fails to pass the AA, AF or Vsync criteria and also doesn't have a unique fix for that problem already, can now be linked to this generic fix.

I've updated the database to reflect this, bringing the total number of fixes up.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    I'm very impressed with the layout of the site, it has alot of potential and is easy on the eyes. However i'm wondering whats the intended target audience here? I'm sure many gamers will buy a specific game regardless of what it supports but the fixes is nice and convenient but still asking myself why i would want to come here? I mean your kinda competing with google searches and the site appears limited in the kind of gaming resources i hope to find.
    Just a suggestion and purely my opinion btw.

so far the blogs area is interesting and i like your reads, but i think the site could use a bit more like clicking game title will link the reader to driver updates, Patches and perhaps a page listing of other Known Problems with that specific game from various users that was never addressed...for instance a user could say, hey this game gives me DRM errors or texture issues on this specific hardware and OS (listing specs)...etc, would be helpful to some and after so many entries one can gather what kind of problems they may expect from that game on their hardware/drivers/OS.

Another feature that would be great is user reviews. You could assign memberships and users can share their review of a game. That alone is a very worthy feature as i know many here dont like pro reviews from IGN..etc.

19. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Well the target audience is anyone who has a problem with their game which falls within the list of standards, which are some of the more common problems.

For those looking to buy its a fast way for them to check compatability, sure you could use google but you'd have to google and find all 10 criteria to get the same kind of feedback and not all of them are documented.

Sure you might just buy the game anyway but the idea is we link to as many fixes as possible so you can just come to the site and get direct links to tested and confirmed working solutions rather than browse through loads of support threads etc.

It's very much like what **** is doing except it's more on a meta level where we report on many standards and not just 1, eventually once the site picks up popularity there maybe more in depth details about the game I suspect forums will be added soon which will allow more in depth user discussion about add ons and other various fixes.

Things like user reviews are nice, but they're a bit outside the scope of the website at the moment, that's maybe some thing I can add in the future once the basics are well tested and in place.

20. Princess_Frosty

GPU:
    MSI GTX580 Twin Frozr II
    Site update, I've changed the main search function on the front page to use a full text index, it uses a a natural language search which improves on the old search which was strict.

Before searching "half life" had no results because the game is listed as "half-life" but now you get all the relevant results.

Another example is "Devil May Cry 4" will be found even if you search "Cry Devil May"

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.