Do I return the card ???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by 50000 monkeys, Sep 2, 2009.

1. 50000 monkeys

50000 monkeys Member

GPU:
    Leadtek gtx 260 extreme
    I put a new system together about six months ago with all new parts. From the first week i have had lockups when playing games. These lockups were relatively rare at about once a week or so. I have tried lots of different drivers, the later ones being the worst. I was living with it, being so occasional, but it seems to be getting worse now and its having odd effects on the pc, like slowdowns, and hanging when shuting down.

I have now put my old proven 8800gt back in, and even though its early days, seems a lot more stable.

My question is if i send the 260gtx back to Leadtek under their 2 year warantee with this occasional fault, are they just going to plug it in and say its fine and send it back to me at a cost.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Could be all sorts of things causing your issues. From memory timings to an OS issue. What games? Are you doing any OCing? Did you manually set your memory in the BIOS to the settings recommended by the manufacturer? Have you run any stability tests such as memtest, Intel Burn Test and OCCT or Furmark? There are a lot of things you can look into before determining your card is at fault.

3. pimpampet

pimpampet Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX275
    I suggest you install and use hardware monitor.
    http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

Please show us your temperatures, make a screen shot, it shows you voltages to, your videocard is demanding much power, need to see if powerlines are stable.

Please provide us the information.

You can expect the same problem after an RMA unless we know more.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. 50000 monkeys

50000 monkeys Member

GPU:
    Leadtek gtx 260 extreme
    HeavyHemi

I only think its the graphics card because the system seems stable since swapping it for my old 8800gt, but it is early days yet. I will have to test it for the next week or two.

I cannot remember all the things i have tried, but i think it is most things now.
    Nothing is, or has been, overclocked except for the modest factory overclock on the 260gtx which i reduced down to spec for testing.
    I am running xp pro 32bit but have tried xp pro 64bit and vista 32bit. All with several drivers.
    The memory was tested overnight (10 hours) with memtest, all ok. I have it running at 1600mhz set to xmp profile. I also set it to auto at 1066mhz.
    I have ran, Intel burn, ATI Tool, OOCT, 3D MARK 06. All of them ran well and completed.

All i can do is keep running with the 8800gt and see if the problem pops its head up again. My concern is if this does run with my old card then it would seem as though the 260gtx is at fault, but i cannot see Leadtek testing it for a week to come to the same conclusion. I dont want to be stuck with a faulty card that they say is not.

Thx

5. pimpampet

pimpampet Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX275
    Please I need to see your powerlines with hardware monitor, make a screen shot with your new videocard the 260GTX stressing, it will say your values, make a screen shot with print screen, open MSPAINT.EXE paste your screenshot there and upload it to a free image upload site and post it here with the [ IMG ]http://yourimagelink.com/somewhere.jpg [/IMG]

The 260GTX might drain the PSU to much. E.g. below 11.5 volts on the 12 volts during full load.

Need to see numbers, values, data, they can tell us and you more.

Hardware monitor reports your GPU temperature also.

Example.
    [​IMG]

You might provide the screenshot of hardware monitor with your old card in too. (run hardware monitor, and start stressing, it will remember its values)

NVIDIA cards lock up the screen freezes when it reaches 105 > degrees Celsius. When the temperature is below that it starts working again, or do you mean lockups and you have to reset or poweroff?

If it is a temperature problem, the card just freezes for a few seconds, and simply starts working again.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  6. 50000 monkeys

50000 monkeys Member

GPU:
    Leadtek gtx 260 extreme
    pimpampet

My cpu temp idles at 40 - 42 deg and under load around the mid fifties. I am using a Nero cooler.

My 260gtx idles at 43 - 45 deg and under load 72 deg max. (newer drivers seem to make it hotter )

I am running my old graphics card at the moment so cant get a voltage. Cpu=1.26v......12v=12.16v........dram=1.66v (can only have 1.64 or 1.66)

I bought a Seasonic 850 to make sure the pc had a good clean supply. It has two dedicated lines feeding the 260gtx.

Thx

7. pimpampet

pimpampet Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX275
    You Power Supply Unit seems to do good. I cannot make a decision to RMA, are other people here to make a good advice? His PSU should be doing a fair job.

8. 50000 monkeys

50000 monkeys Member

GPU:
    Leadtek gtx 260 extreme
    Just to reply in case anyone has the same, or can help.
    The pc is still locking up (5 times since last post) so i assume that the 260gtx is ok. I am now looking into a faulty board or a bios setting.
    As i say the pc seems 100% stable running stress test after benchmark all night, even gaming for hours, and then it just freezes. All temperatures are good. Event log suggests the nvidia hardware or driver, but its doing the same with both cards.
    Im pretty good with computers normally, but this has got me stumped.

Help would be appreciated.

Thx

9. Helpful

Helpful Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Dowload Memtest +86 v2.11.
    Put it on a floppy, or burn it to a CD using ISOburner.
    Reboot the system and let Memtest run a few times all the way through. If you
    get errors in the same place each time, ramp your RAM timings back, and rerun Memtest until stable.
    If you end up with timings below manufacturer specs, then RMA
    If you have errors in differing sections of the RAM the you have a Power Supply problem, most likely

10. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    You shouldn't trust HWMonitor to give you proper readings on your PSU. Software can't give you an accurate reading, only a multimeter can. Plus a PSU problem isn't always apparent in the readings of the specific rails anyway.

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    no-one suggested upgrading bios first off? i know initial released asus p6t had some issues..

that has to be tried first off. and op unless u test everything at stock with occt/memtest/linpack/3dmarkvantage and let us know what happens we can only speculate what the issue is.

generally freezes on screen with a looping sound are in my experience ram issues.

a blue screen with crash dump is an overclock/cpu issue.

blue screen could also be driver instability or overheating.

evga precision and 60 percent fan speed should sort that with gpu monitoring on-screen.

if u have installed drivers without using driver sweeper thats another port of call as it were...

and also v important test with one gpu first not both. this is long winded but the only way...

12. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    Or, even better, GoldMemory. It detected that one of my Dual Channel kit's stick was faulty at one bit (just one out of sixteen billion total!) which was causing occasional hangs, blue screens and aplications crashes (MemTest didn't catch that).
    For a set of such applications Hiren's BootCD is a great choice.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  13. 50000 monkeys

50000 monkeys Member

GPU:
    Leadtek gtx 260 extreme
    Thanks for replies.

HELPFUL
    I have already ran memtest overnight for ten hours without a single error.

PASSION FRUIT
    I have a very good PSU and the reason i got this was because the same thing was happening on my old seasonic 600W and i thought it didnt have enough power.

MITZI76
    I have updated the bios several times and again today to 1701. All components are at stock and have not been overclocked at any time. I have done all of those tests over night and they all run fine. Temperatures are all normal. The system seems 100% stable and then it just goes. Slightly different each time. I have installed windows several times and used driver sweeper between drivers. evga precision at 60-70 80 90 100%.

wlw_wl
    I will try Goldmemory.....thx

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well only thing i can think of is have u tried without the sound-card?

were all the parts first-hand?

and regards the gpus...have u run the pc with just one card in for any length of time or tried diff gpu?

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What is your chipset, specially Northbridge Temperature after some hours of gaming?
    Try FarCry2 if you got it, seems to be good for heating things up.
    Are you using air cooling on the CPU, and if so, does it blow air over the voltregegulator and black northbridge fins?

Tried to go through the board forum and find someone with the same problem?
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx?board_id=1&model=P6T+Deluxe&SLanguage=en-us

Just saw something that doesn't look promising, there is a V2 of your mobo...

16. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    v2? i have the exact same mobo. btw i am on 1504.

try that op if u havent...

17. 50000 monkeys

50000 monkeys Member

GPU:
    Leadtek gtx 260 extreme
    MITZI76
    Yeah i thought about the sound card also, maybe i will take it out and use the onboard for a bit.
    All the parts were brand new.
    I have only ever run one gpu at a time.
    V2 is reference to p6t deluxe version 2 without the SAS controller.
    I have been using 1504 for the last couple of months, im on 1701 now, i see if that helps.

MINERIA
    chipset is X58, motherboard temp is 38 deg.
    Im using nero cpu cooler (idle 42 deg) and i have a antec 300 case with two 120mm fans at the front one 120mm fan at the back and one 140mm at the top. Its actually windy inside.

Thanks

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx&templete=2
    Seems like they removed the SAS controller only, Asus doesn't tell why they made that move either.
    They never tell anything on their own support boards anyway.

And the temperature on the chipset?
    Those 38c are on the PCB, not the chipset itself.
    Use Everest for the readout please.
    Your CPU cooler cools the CPU, but not the chipset/heatpipes.
    Think of it as the way how the Intel Stock cooler is made.
    The heatpipe design is made to be supported by such a cooler.
    Ive had several Asus boards using this design, and tried several cooler solutions, best with Air only result was with one of those huge Orbs from Thermaltake.
    On my current board I had to go watercooling on the chipset, to get it running stable.
    Some people use spot coolers directly on the NB.
    Remember that 1600Mhz on the RAM is considered OC even for your board.
    I just checked EVGA's versions, they use bigger cooling blocks, fans and even waterblocks on their designs of the X58, so cooling can be the issue.
    Case ventilation doesn't help much on that, think of it as if you would use that Neo without a fan.

Not sure what you did when throttling you ram down, but did you set voltages down too?
    Not to mention that Asus boards auto voltages can sometimes reach insane levels, which isn't even needed.
    Probably why someone asked you to post a full voltage output.
    Voltages can be to low too, but that is a matter of OC.

I would try to run the board with the RAM at 1066, loose timings and low voltages. (DO NOT USE AUTO TIMINGS!)
    Best is to go to your memory manufacturer's forum and look or ask for correct settings.
    If it still crashes and NB temperature is normal, RMA it.

Read this whole post, might help you on track
    : http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...5&board_id=1&model=P6T Deluxe&page=1&count=14

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009
  19. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    What is your setting in the bios for the northbridge voltage?

20. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    are the following up to date?

Motherboard Chipset and Bios (only update Bios if necessary)
    Operating System
    DirectX
    .Net
    Sound card driver

check for heat, re-seat components,
    is the video card getting the power it needs?
    if you suspect a heat problem increase the video card's fan speed.