youtube now charging to download some videos?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Iggyblack, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    i was just watching a video on youtube and noticed a download link for the video, and next to it i saw "$0.99"

[​IMG]

seriously?

EDIT: anyone know if this is done by youtube or the owner of the video?:3eyes:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    www.keepvid.com

add youtube (or dailymotion or whatever) link, download, free. lol works on my mobile phone too.

3. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    i predict 5 years time youtube will be dead

4. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    yeah i know, it's just when i saw that i couldn't believe it.

5. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    it's really stupid, i mean why the hell would they charge people to download a fecking clip.. oh wait money. :rolleyes:

they're digging they're own grave, today they're charging for downloads, tomorrow it'll be a subscription only site for a fee. bahhhh

6. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    yeah, in the future I think it will be subscription based also. I am going to assume they will give you a certain amount of minutes each day/month and if you want unlimited, you will have to pay for the "pro" version. Or they will start charging for uploading HD content because it does eat up more bandwidth and space on their servers.

7. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Stuff like that never works. Because people don't want to pay, I mean sure some will, because they don't know any better.

But another site will open up, or everyone will just start going to Vimeo or something.

I think it's the owner of the video too, not Google themselves. It's not like they have money problems.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i already imagine the next big thing: "THE-PIRATE-TUBE-BAY"

use your torrent client to download any youtube video for free..

the RIAA/MPAA will charge the 900 years old granny because she downloaded the corrupted "Windows7 Preview.flv" file that won't even play on her 8088xt 4.77mhz EL-CHEAPO pc. :grin:

9. RRRage

RRRage Banned

GPU:
    XFX GTX295/LG 21.5 inch
    With 70 % people unhappy on this world. Ofcourse thing will not pay do you know this is world is rather dominant over others.

10. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    yeah i can totally see 12 year old kids asking their parents to buy a video, whom are dumb and don't really care.

tbh im not mad at youtube or anything, i just think it's rather stupid. both of youtube and the owner of the videos.

don't they already have subscription for people who want to upload 25+ min. long videos?

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I use save2pc, works great!

12. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    Who downloads video off of youtube lol , just watch it or save the link. Why do you need to download it anyway?

13. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Some videos are taken down because of copyright such as BBC programmes so people download them normally via 3rd party websites before they are deleted

14. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    I expect this to be the video owners idea, as its not like youtube isn't making money from the insane amount of 'advertising'.

15. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Wanna put money on that ?

16. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Heh its ran by Google, so it'll be a good bet.

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i like having a copy of some of those rare clips i couldn't find anywhere else as avi/mpeg/vhs whatever but available on youtube, not only because i'm a collector.

also what if you're without internet for any reason, wake up one morning and feel like watching one of the videoclips? you can't.. and you might have to rely on friends, go to a cybercafe' or something, lazyness will prevent any of this lol

finally what if your internet is capped, you'll avoid wasting bandwidth trying to re-watch a clip on the net, what if your latency is really high because of your cheap isp? the clip will stutter turning the video into a hellish experience.

think about it, saving your favorite clips on your big harddrive is useful. :givebeer: