Are nvidia gpus slighter faster than ati ones?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by death_samurai, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    Ok that's an interesting point now. Personally I see it a bit different:
    4890 (or GTX275 as well) to GTX285 are ~10% speed increase overall. But 300 to 400 bucks is a 25% price increase.

But you are absolutely right, when the price is not such a big issue you are better of with simply buying the fastest chip out there, which currently comes from nVidia.

I think this depends much on your personal situation. For me as a trainee, $100 is a very considerable amount.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, there really is too much blind loyalty, i know Nvidia people who think all Radeons are junk, and claim any benchmark which shows an ATI card better is fixed and biased.

I also have ATI friends who think Nvidia are the devil's children, or they are paranoid and when a game runs bad on their system, they claim Nvidia have paid the developers to remove features or break something when an ATI card is detected, even some people on here claimed that when Batman:AA demo was released.

I have jumped back and forward for the last decade, and if the 5900 can give me double the performance of my GTX260, then i will may get one, my only problem with ATI is their lack of effort these days, they just don't work with the dev's anymore to optimise games, while the majority of new games are TWIMTBP titles, which is where the extra money for Nvidia cards goes.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They did on Mirrors edge, with the physx stuff. lol

me , im going back and forward also, depends whats most valuable at the time :)

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Was that a tongue in cheek comment lol?

Thought Mirrors Edge could run PhysX in software mode on ATI cards.

5. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Seriously, do ATI graphics look slightly better with better colors?
    I keep on hearing this people change from nVidia to ATI and they say image displayed looks much better.
    I also noticed this when I changed from GeForce 6 to Radeon X1950, but that was then and still I hear people say ATI looks better even when compared with todays nVidia cards.

6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    I follow the next rule:

High $$ = Nvidia
    Med-High $$ = Depends of which year :p
    Low-Med $$ = Ati
    Low $$ = Ati

Of course b4 buying i check my rule again with benchmarks :p

I noticed that ATI looks slighty... better? idk, just different, i thought it was better the first days after change, but... you get used to it and i dont find/remember any difference :bang:

7. Camster

Camster Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4890 OC
    Yeah I think it does to my eyes. I like the image from my 4890 compared to my old 8800 GT. My son still runs an 8800 GT & in Lan games with both PC's running the same game at the same settings on the same Acer monitors the 4890 "looks" better but I admit this is subjective at best. i'm loving the 4890 though..........

8. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    OKay let's relook at this again.

285 in sli

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3234747&postcount=1182

gpu scores are 70ish in both. Divided by 2 = around over 35 ish for a single gtx285

My x2 scores over 48 or around 48 to 49 but mine is OCed.

I think a normal x2 scores around 40ish.

OKay i see it 4870 scores around 20 fps hence it gets over 60fps in tri fire mode.

I didn't know about this at all. I just merely assumed but i guess ati has better quality pictures.

9. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Another thing is you need sli capable boards sli while almost any board can be used for xfire am i right? Cept for the newer x58 boards.

10. Calef

Calef Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS HD5850
    And every nForce board I guess... ;)

11. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Ati have always had nicer looking gfx.Ive just upgraded from a gtx 260 to a 4870 x2 and the ati gives a cleaner sharper picture.Nvidia closed the gap on iq with the 8800 gtx card i had over the older 7 series but even so ati still produce a nicer iq.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I've never saw a difference between the two, and i'm one fussy pain in the ...

Its the same as people who see the difference between driver releases.
    If your comparing default settings the maybe you will see differences, as profiles probably change, but i'm someone who fiddles with every setting.

I got a 512mb 4870 and 260, tryed both of them, didn't see much in the way of differences, apart from different forms of AA, the only reason i sent the 4870 back and kept the 260 was because the 4870 was too warm too noisy and had less GPU ram.

People see what they want to see.

13. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I beg to differ, some simple google searching will provide proof that in some games the IQ is in fact better in quite a few games. Off the top of my head Far Cry 2 was one of them. There was a bunch of games with better IQ on ATI's side.

AH YEAH! Wolfenstein as well. Apparently the sun doesn't shine on Nvidia cards in MP as TDurden pointed out in the Wolfenstein thread.

EDIT:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

So in some games, people aren't just seeing what they want to see. It's been a fact for awhile that in numerous games ATi has better IQ. While it's not a huge or overly noticeable difference it's still something and not someones imagination as you implied.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  14. John Dolan

John Dolan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 780 SLI
    Im no ati fan boy making things up Redemption80.Heres my list of cards ive owned from the last few years.Ati 9700 - then a nvidia geforce cant remember the number - xt800 - xt1900 - 7950gx2 - gtx8800 sli - gtx260 - 4870x2.I just buy whats the best card at the time and dont care who makes it.I run the 8800 and the 260 in other systems still so can compare iq.

15. tamzid

tamzid Master Guru

GPU:
    His iceq4 turbo 4850 512
    games on ati always looked better...

16. Pvfc-Epic

Pvfc-Epic Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX560Ti DirectCU II
    physx in software mode is run on the cpu not gpu

17. _Rnesto

_Rnesto Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 320MB
    looks like there's no HDR on those screen shots for nvidia, thats sad. makes me rethink why I'm still using Geforce cards, apart from that, does ATI have a control panel like the one of nvidia: with features like video color settings, manage custom resolutions, digital vibrance (god, can't live without that)...?

18. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I've been jumping back and forth between ati & nvidia cards since I started building my own gaming systems back in 2001.

ATI had bragging rights on the IQ issue for many years but that ended with the release of 8 series cards. It's a not even an issue anymore as far as I'm concerned and is no longer factor for me when deciding on what card to buy (like it used to be).

I honestly saw no distinguishable difference in IQ when I switch from my old msi 4850 to my current evga 260 using the same system & monitor.

I'm sure you can find some games that may render a little better on one card or the other but not enough to be a significant factor, for me anyway.

Oh well, this has been a never ending debate and I'm sure no one's mind is going to be changed here but that's my honest assessment on it so flame me if you must, lol.

19. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    it's true! :) if you have nvidia card (geforce 8 series or better except any ati card) then this videocard accelerates hardware mode in physx.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    Lets take a look at Angle Dependency AF that ATI uses:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=222143&page=2

However having a debate of NVIDIA vs ATI in the ATI section is pretty pointless... Take questions like this to the General Hardware section if you want to get information instead of biased opinions.