LCD Overdrive, what is it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Black_ice_Spain, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Well... i googled and found nothing with usefull info...

What it's the effect of activating?

What does the slider there means?

It affects performance?

or anything you want to explain :p

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well basically it overvolts pixels making them react faster hence giving you less ghosting.

here is more info
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/overdrive_at_75hz.htm
    lol i can confirm since i have this model, it reacts faster just like described in the article..

edit: lol not sure now, did you meant LCD panels or this overdrive in ati driver >>> this is auto OC similar to intel i9xx turbo mode lol

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I'm not too sure on it's exact functions (ATI LCD Overdrive in the CCC settings panel.) but as the poster above said I believe it'll help with ghosting from TFT/LCD and similar monitors albeit I've no idea how it does this and how it affects monitors like my own Samsung 226CW which already does something similar to achieve it's 2ms response time average.
    (Haven't really enabled it aside from a quick test and most google searches gives very different results and opinions about it.)

4. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting article, I'm not that knowledgeable about monitors and their various functions outside of the basics so the article is quite useful although just to be clear the monitor is not a Samsung Syncmaster 226 BW with a "C" screen, it's a Samsung Syncmaster 226 CW with a so called "S" screen. :)
    (Now more or less fully replaced by the T220 and T220HD, not a huge difference as such apart from the HD version but that one looks a bit better - the design that is - and has dynamic contrast values of up to 10.000 - which is mostly marketing talk as I've understood it.)

EDIT: Going back to LCD overdrive here's some info about what it does.

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache...89+ATI+LCD+overdrive&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache...72+ATI+LCD+overdrive&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

(Google caches as the main website timed out, Rag3D if that matters but it links to other sites that explains it further - In the future I need to remember to call it ATI LCD Overdrive and not AMD Overdrive as that seems to be a overclocking software.)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
    mirh likes this.
  6. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Ey thanks, and yeah it was about ati lcd override :p (ati driver section ^_^).

Thanks guys.

MY TFT is pretty old (Benq FP91G+, 19" with 1280x1024 res), with 8ms of response, ill active it anyways, doesnt seem any sideffect _X (i dont notice ghostring unless i put the slider at max xP).

7. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    I have an ancient LCD with 16ms responce time and using overdrive definitely helped with the ghosting makes it seem like 10ms LOL for me anyway..

8. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    I don't have LCD overdrive in CCC.Is it for vista only or something?I'm on XP.

9. MetalFlake

MetalFlake Member

GPU:
    Asus HD4870 512mb
    Where can i find lcd overdrive option in latest drivers for win7? using a 8ms lcd so hoping for some improvement.

10. blinx

blinx Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus 680
    My LCD is hooked up with an HDMI and on Windows XP it shows under CCC as "DTV (HDMI) 4" there you should have several options Attributes/Avivo Color/Scaling Options/HDTV Support/"LCD Overdrive"/Pixel format.

With the 9.8 drivers it's located under Desktops & Displays> Right click your LCD and then click Configure you should see the setting for Overdrive.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009