Buying a PS3 - Wait for GT5 or buy now with RE5?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by xtaz, Jul 27, 2009.

1. r0llinlacs

r0llinlacs Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT OC 1GB
    ok my buddy has a 46" 120hz samsung, but i have yet to see his ps3 on it. kinda pisses me off all he does is watch tv, not even hd tv. what a waste of an hdtv.

but i love the way the smooth motion looks. I tried Corel WinDVD 9, which has 1080p upscaling, and "Digital Natural Motion" which upscales dvds to 60fps, and it looks amazing. the framerate probably has to be steady for any kind of "frame filling" which steady fps is definately not present in games.

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    All down to personal preferece, i've saw screenshots of crosshairs in games being messed up and double vision problems, also heard rather bold claims such as "Saints Row2 looks like a pixar movie at 120hz" lol.

WinDVD only upscales to 720p, not 1080p, not tha they tell you that.
    I know the motion thing they use, its a Phillips technology called TrimensionDNM, and with one or two things i've been ok with it, but most of the time it makes things look a bit to fast, and like a bad trip.

Yeah, i'm sure a non steady fps could cause some strange effects on something expecting 23.97/29.97

3. r0llinlacs

r0llinlacs Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT OC 1GB
    I had that problem on my old p4 machine. On this new machine, every movie I tried was flawless. It takes quite a bit of processing power to do both HD upscaling and natural motion at the same time.

but i can't believe those bastards... claiming full 1080p... no wonder it said 1280x720 when the hd bar was all the way up.. i thought it was a bug.

"Increase frame sizes up to full high-definition 1080p/60i resolution while maintaining crisp edges."

^^right on their website, lying bastards.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    On the point of the PS3 having issues with 60fps the issue is not with the machine, the issue is with devs making the 360 the lead machine, the PS3 architects does not make it easy to port stuff so we end up with shoddy ports of multiplat games, although that's a issue that's becoming less and less these days...

Add to that the list of multiplat games being dropped to sub par HD resolution level like GTAIV, Modern warfare 1/2, and if MS cant get games like Halo3 to run at min of 720p on the 360 which is essentially a PC then third party Dev's working on the PS3 architect are not going to be getting the best out of the hardware.

But games like Fall of man and Uncharted show you that once a Devs knows their way around the PS3 architect the machines power is amazing and it can shift some stuff onscreen......two games alone that could simply not be done on the 360.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, use reclock and you see that the outputted upscaled video is 1280x720, and framerate is nothing to do with my machine, WinDVD rarely goes over 50-60% CPU usage even with upscaling and the DNM on, its just the extra frames give it a look i just don't like, its the same with 120hz+ TV's, people either love it or hate it.

XP-200, don't believe what the Sony spin doctors spoon feed you, use your eyes.
    Three exclusives that i own, Uncharted, MGS4, Kill Zone2, all run at 30fps, with occasional dips lower, never played Fall Of Man or the sequel, but i'd bet it also never goes above 30.

Not that the 360 is any better, it also has very few games that go past 30, which is why any mulit-platform games i get for the PC.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    A steady 30FPS and a screen bursting with eye candy is preferable to 60FPS and massive slow downs.....also I have never seen those frame drops in either Uncharted, MGS4, killzone 2 or any of the resistance games......and Sony don't need to spin anything, when you first walk outside in R:FOMII and see the sky filled with massive motherships and fighters flying above your head while the city across the water is being bombarded and your trying to survive attacks form the aliens, you will then know Sony don't need to spin anything because your eyes will already have melted out of your head.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Damn i mind GT2 i bought 2nd hand nissan and raced like crazy lol

8. itsb1again

itsb1again Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 285 @ 702
    I agree with a steady 30 FPS is better then 60 with big slow downs. But i must admit that it is a huge difference going from my PC to my PS3 trying to play GRID.. Ever since i blew up my motherboard i've migrated back to the ps3.

And i also agree with not seeing any low frame rates in all of the games you listed.

I must also admit that i am indeed a sony guy. My girlfriend purchased me an Xbox 360.. That day I went out and bought all of the games that were "exclusive" to the 360 because everyone is always saying that the games are so much better and you have a wider library to choose from... Only game i played from start to finish was Fable 2. The others, Gears 1 & 2... meh.. Left 4 dead i played for 45 mins..

It was just not what I was looking for. Not up to Par with games like Uncharted, KZ2, etc.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Sorry, Resistance didn't do anything for me. The only game that impressed me from Sony's lineup was Uncharted, and I really hope the second one is just as good. IMO, Gears of War looks better and plays better than Resistance.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Why would you get slowdowns at 60fps :bang:
    And i want 60fps rock solid 1920x1080 at least 4XAA, and all the eye candy, i love my PS3 and 360 equally, but being as good visual helps make a game for me, i just can't stop using the PC instead.

MGS4 is stunning looking, that i agree, Uncharted, too much aliasing for my liking, and terrible screen tearing.
    Killzone looks stunning in the intro, then the game starts up, and its a huge disappointment, reload animation is sweet though.

Why can't people just be honest rather than have to be a fanboy, and overlook the flaws, but hype up the good points.

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Newsflash just in........Internet god claims everybody to be biased lying fanboys while nit picking at a single console while with the other hand giving the PC one off the wrist........More at Ten.

12. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Get ps3 I heard during the time of Christmas they might surprise us with a remake of the whole ui through a firmware(thats what an associate from gamestop told me....) The current ui is awesome but you never know the next one can be better.....

13. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

That guy is lying to you. Sony thinks their XMB is the greatest thing since sliced bread. There is no way they would change it. Especially since they are integrating it into alot of their electronics.

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    I suppose it downs to taste's and preferences, ive been impressed in the last couple of years by more PS3 games than any other console or pc, MGS4, KZ2, Resistance 2 are all very good looking games that do different things very well, infamous looks great aswell, havent played anything on my 360 since gears 2, that looks good but not as good as the ps3 titles named.

All consoles have flaws, but that wont stop me playing games, we need to enjoy them for what they are.

EDIT: the PS3 XMB is great, im not a big fan of the 360's new one, i prefered the old blades style.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^^What gets me is that this thread is about the PS3, why the MDL(Microsoft defence league) appeared and slowly derailed the thread into a 360/PC is king nonsense i have no idea.

What does the 360 or the PC have to do with this thread in any way shape or form??

16. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    I hate the word Fanboy, Guru3d should ban the word. It's always misused. This is a Windows computer forum. So Apple and Sony etc are not that popular here.

For the record Apple and Sony FTW

;)

17. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    It seems to happen alot more these days, people are allways going to have a preference on what they prefer so i just try my best to stay out of it normally, even if some comments are verging on blind stupidity.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I brought it up, because i genuinly believe i don't suffer from this swine flu like disease lol.

Today i may like Sony, tomorrow it could be Microsoft, Sunday i could think Apple are the bee's knee's, its what i can being impartial, and considering i live in a city where people are killed for liking the wrong football team, my deepest apologies for thinking console fanboyism is sad and pathetic.

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    im just disappointed with all consoles this time around, more complex, firmware downloads, game patches, installs and what not, jebus its going backwards

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    No it is sad and pathetic, the only thing worse are those who use the phrase too accuse others while blindly being one themselves.