Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. spike21

spike21 Member Guru

GPU:
    7970CF 16@2133mhz
  2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Nice. A lot has changed with the AI so silenced weapons make actually sense now. Gonna test around a bit. Start-parameter -ShowScriptErrors is a gift from heaven for scripters.

4. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate
    I found the demo to be boring ... even with a TrackIR5.

5. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    I have been wanting to check out this game but the demo had me more lost than anything. Well at-least since i just got a new card the performance is nice on it. Do you think it is worth the investment and time?

6. r0llinlacs

r0llinlacs Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT OC 1GB
    ARMA 2 really disappointed me. The devs make it sound so real and "dynamic".... BS!
    Everything is dynamic eh? Then why do I have to set waypoints to to make the AI do anything? Waypoints = scripted movements. I thought nothing was scripted?? LIES.

The controls.... not realistic at all. Why can't I jump over a 3 foot fence? Why can't I shoot while running? Why are the vehicles impossible to drive? I can do all those things in real life....

The jerky movements of the player in sight aim.... wtf!
    Dynamic conversations: HA! they sound like freakin robots!
    Why do I feel like a midget while standing?
    Why is it so hard to enter any static weapon or vehicle?

Oh, different speeds for different ground. IE, you creep along at an unrealistically slow speed on grass, and magically on pavement your humvee becomes a race car. Also vehicles made for rough terrain (like tanks, or pretty much any military vehicle) still will not accelerate on grass.

Descructable buildings: you get a huge cloud of smoke so you can't see while it replaces the building with a damaged one. IE: cheapest destructable buildings ever.
    Everything in this game seems so overly-exaggerated.

not to mention it runs like sh*t, worse than GTA 4/Crysis.

The ONLY thing this game has going for it is the graphics. The way the smoke lingers in the air and things STAY on fire and smoking is awesome. But, that's all this game is good for.

Good thing I didn't buy it. Downloaded the demo. Was going to download the cracked version from warez, but not anymore. I don't need to see anymore to know that this game is rubbish.

performance, in editor with no ai:
    Everything very high, no AA, low post processing, 1600x1200, 10000 draw distance
    small island: 30fps
    big island: 20fps

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    how about getting a real gun and trying to full run and shoot at the same time, especially when you only have like 5 or 6 clip reloads before you are out of ammo, yea you could spray rounds all over the place and waste ammo. good luck.

8. r0llinlacs

r0llinlacs Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT OC 1GB
    yeah i could in real life, so why not in the game? it's my decision. it's better than not being able to shoot at all.

9. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    you would fail epically in the special forces. hence you got squad mates that provide cover fire when you request it.

10. r0llinlacs

r0llinlacs Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT OC 1GB
    ok so, if im running for cover from a close range enemy, instead of firing for a chance to live, i get to run and just hope he doesnt hit me? no, that's not right. If my finger is on the trigger, I should be able to shoot. Period. My finger does not stop working just because I'm running.

11. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    No, not like it is atm. Pick it up when patch 1.99 is out in 2010. Until then, buy ArmA Gold edition and enjoy MP coop pearls like Evolution or Domination.

12. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Thanks man I really don't feel like dropping $50 on another POS PC game hopefully they get it up and running, I have faith they will. I guess I will try and learn this demo but I just really don't know what is going on most of the time.

13. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    'What's going on?' is a good question in ArmA2. Like RealLife (tm), this game is what you make it.

It's an open world where you get some basic situation report and some generic goal, then you can decide where to go first and what to do there, what sort of support you'll need, which vehicles etc etc.

Somebody who expects clear orders will feel 'lost' a bit.

14. SirKAm

SirKAm Member Guru

GPU:
    i really like this game. lucky me, never experienced most of the problems "some" players have... you have to take time for this game.

i recommend to try the berzerk map/mod.

performance is ok. online with 4k view distance i get 30fps most of the time. in this "slow" game its enough. don't forget its an milsim not an action shooter like cs or cod4. this game is meant to be played a few years. its very cpu dependent.

jumping... try to jump with 40-80kg of equipment. losing contact with the ground is something you never want to happen in rl.

walking/running and shooting... don't think you can be a rambo in this game. its not perfect by any means, but BIS made a good compromise of playability and realism. but you can run and shoot. you just cant "sprint" and shoot. if you get in a situation where you want to use your cs/cod4 skill then you have done something wrong. you have to behave/play realistic to get a realistic game experience.

driving... i like it. u have to get used to the way it is controlled. ever tried to drive offroad over 20kmh with a car? and a tank making 60kmh on uneven ground is realistic.

waypoints and ai... never have seen such a great AI in a game before. not perfect, but the best you can get. waypoints? sure. but how they get there is up to them. and you dont have to place any at all... they find flawlessly their way to the city/forest/hill 10-20km away. the driving isnt that good right now but will get better...

the hardest thing in this game is getting teamwork from 30-60 plp in one team to work.

i prefer PVP btw. ...

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I've got visions of a geeky GI Joe now. Seriously nobody can run and shoot accurately and you can climb over 3 foot fences in the game with no issues at the press of a button so I'm not sure what you are on about.

16. korn666

korn666 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 295
    lol yeah you would fail in special forces thats why your squad mates suppress fire on the enemy

17. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Says the number of the beast, our very own special forces guy who prwns everyone with a laser attached to his head.

18. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    There's a key that makes you climb over a fence btw. And controls can be set to disable that auto-center feature - makes steering with a mouse much easier.

19. r0llinlacs

r0llinlacs Active Member

GPU:
    BFG 9800GT OC 1GB
    i know about that key. try climbing over a fence 3 feet tall, it doesnt work.

20. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Yea I see what you all are saying, I wasn't looking for an arcade game but the controls are what is holding me up. It is so many freaking key functions. I just sat with the demo and took some time to map a few keys and got better results from it. I am about to try the newest beta drivers again and see if it can smooth out the performance. I really want to like this game and get into it.