Vista: "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered"

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NeoElNino, Jun 30, 2007.

1. sg72

sg72 Member

GPU:
    nVidea GTX285x2
    :knock: "Take off the overclock"?

It makes absolutely no difference. Even underclocking and raising fan speeds.

AFAIAA. I have tried everything. These errors are totally random. I have seen me going a few days OK. But they come back. Other times they can hit in seconds after entering gameplay. I have had 4xcrashes tonight within 1hr.

Even setting the nVidea control panel to application controlled. Doesn't stop "The Message"from appearing with BSOD.
    Come out. Check Temps and am running in the 60s.

FPS are in the 50s WTF. is going on!

:bang:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009
  2. junx

junx Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850
    never had this problem until recently with 165.86 and 168.08 running empire totalwar. rollback to 182.50 and everything run smoothly again,until today.just quit dawn of war 2 and back to desktop ,my screen started going black, showed the bloody nvlddmkm message, goes black again,lost visual signal then lastly a bsod.When the pc restarted the same problem returned the moment rivatuner applied my overclock that have been stable for more than a year.Reverting back to default frequency stop the bsod on desktop but gaming still crashes after certain period of time depending on the game played.far cry2 can last up to an hour while empire total war goes bong in less than 5 minutes.
    Sounds like a dying piece of hardware for my case.Any ideas?

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  3. DigitalIP

DigitalIP Member

GPU:
    eVGA 9800GTX+
    Luckily yet Un-lucky for me i only have this issue when playing L4D multiplayer modes.
    now i have been running with my card OC'd and im not sure but it seems to have fixed the problem when i defaulted it. but ive found another solution as well.

The Program "Game Booster" disables un-needed services and recovers ram for increased performance, which is great for low end-mid end systems, even helps on high end from what ive seen.

in any case, apparently one of the services that gets disabled is the one that creates the stopped responding error.

it can be found here - http://iobit.com/ those of you that are having the display driver issues please test it out and see if it works for you. i posted my results in the Steam forums for everyone that was having problems there since it was a steam game that i started having the problems with.

For the record, this problem has been happening ever since Vista was released and supposedly even happens on Win XP.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  4. sg72

sg72 Member

GPU:
    nVidea GTX285x2
    :thumbup: For that Tip. DigitalIP!

Downloaded and tryed it out. I did get a crash. But not "The Message". This would have been because I forgot to set the "Advanced Graphics Settings" properly. (I am playing Crysis and Everything was set to V/H! Too much I think for my O/Cd 3.2GHz. CPU.

Anyways Not a sniff of a crash when I set many of the settings down whilst retaining some of the higher ones.

What with a combination of "Game Booster"/ The Profiles in nVidea Control panel./Riva tuner 2.24 and "Manual" Bios changes.

I will get there yet.

Can you tell I'm a noob?:)

Interestingly when I came out of Game and set the "Game Booster". Back to normal. The message turned up. This would have been the true result of my initial crash from running game in Too High a setting. Without the sufficient Upgrade in CPU O/C?

Thanks again for the Headsup, on this Utility.
    Another piece of armoury in the pocket:hatty:

5. Zloth

Zloth Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 780
    Junx, Empire: Total War has a lot of crashing problems. Check the change log for all the patches they've had to that game - it's a terror. That game had no business being released when it was. A patch coming out tomorrow might help you out. Maybe.

In fact, I just popped on here because Total War started giving me fits right after I upgraded to the 186.18 drivers. The drivers crash and restart as soon as the game tries to play the little Sega video as the game starts up.

6. xdurus

xdurus Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 oc
    I had the same problem with the 185's and 186's in W7 every time print preview was used.Driver would crash and recover.
    182.50 no problems

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  7. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Maybe because of the different WDDMs. The 182.50 is only available for Vista, hence it's using the WDDM 1.0, while the 185.x and 186.x series have/are drivers for Windows 7's WDDM 1.1.

8. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Was any definitive solution ever found for this problem?

I'm experiencing it sometimes, it's not often, but still... it's annoying. It occurs during gaming or not, it indeed also happens when just being idle on the Desktop while the GPU runs in 2D mode. It happened with the first drivers I installed after installing the OS itself, namely the 185.85's, and it's still happening with the latest ones, 186.18's. I used Driver Cleaner .NET in Safe Mode and cleaned everything related to NVIDIA, but apparently it's not sufficient. I also tried the KB download in the first post but that update it old (from 2008) and the system already has that update now (it says "update does not apply to your system" when I run it).

I would like to know how to fix the damn problem. I never had that problem with XP (and the exact same hardware, just with XP I never experienced that thing, it's just in Vista).

9. SquareSoft0

SquareSoft0 Guest

Vista, which has been pointed out MANY times, has this failsafe which allows hardware instabilities to be found. In XP you would get artifacts if it were bad enough or maybe no visual indicators at all. It could be a multitude of things, but by all odds there will be no software fix. Maybe your RAM voltage is too low/high or there could be overheating.

10. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I wouldn't say 182.50 has no problem, it is the only driver that causes this issue in Ghostbusters:

(Main Menu)

[​IMG]

11. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    Everything in my BIOS is set at auto/normal, frequencies are stock, voltages as well, all is optimized/factory default. And my GPU idles at 45ºC (70% fan speed) in 2D mode, and loads at 90ºC in extreme burning test in FurMark without crashing or freezing for one hour non-stop, my games run smooth enough (there's CPU bottleneck but that's another thing), and none of them crash (well, except for Fallout 3, but that's a given).

And, besides, some people are not experiencing that problem at all. If my hardware is faulty (GPU perhaps) then I really don't know if that problem is the direct result of the issue. I mean it's not like NVIDIA officially recognizes the issue and puts a big sticker on their GPU retail boxes and on their web-site saying «if you get a nvlddmkm.sys error it means that your hardware is faulty, please return it», we as consumers have to literally guess what's wrong, and that's frustrating. If my GPU has a problem I will then never by entirely certain about it, because "it could be anything".

12. Paul_FTW

Paul_FTW Guest

GPU:
    Asus ROG 6700XT
    Well. i have my system 1 week ago, and i have a funny situation...

I dont have problems in games, but when i enter microsoft encarta, World Atlas, and when i use measuring tool, the my screen goes to black, and i get the message "an error bla bla bla nvlddmkm bla bla"

Is funny, i did this 3 times to make sure, and yes, i got the driver recovery all 3 times. i can see when using the measurement tool, the line have a transparency, i dont know the reassons why i get a driver crash ONLY in this action. Weird.:puke2:

13. cellis1112

cellis1112 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 275
    Well, I had this problem with my 8800 until I moved the card to the other PCI-E slot. After that it worked flawlessly. Although recently I bought a gtx 275 and it would not fit in the slot due to some poorly placed sata connectors...I placed the card into the problematic slot and have been operating fine for about a week...until last night. I have played several hours of CSS, gothic 3, L4D, Red orchestra, COD WAW at a time which is odd because I watched about 30 minutes worth of videos on ign.com and my computer suddenly froze and my monitor displayed obvious graphic issues. I never got the message nor did I get a bsod. I checked the event viewer and nvlddmkm was certainly the culprit. I immediately upgraded my bios(which was very outdated) and I'm currently running again, although I know very well only time will tell if that succeeded to beat the problem. It appears though that the card has to be placed in a designated "primary" pci-e slot or this issue will happen. I just reinstalled gta IV and I'm hoping if the issue isn't fixed it will show itself. I hope that helps someone, i may have to look for a new motherboard =\.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  14. ocgbargas

ocgbargas New Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 260
    Hi good morning everyone.
    First apologize for not speaking English. Everything written here is translated through google. My sincere apologies.
    The problem I have is the one discussed in this post, the famous "Display Driver nvlddmkm stopped responding, has successfully recovered."
    I have a new computer, an i7 920 with a gtx260 in Windows 7 64-bit.
    If I install the 181.20 drivers, everything works smoothly. But if you install any other (the tested 185.81, 186.18 and the latest 190.38) all fail and give this error. I've found in games and in the processing for boinc gpugrid (I threw a lot of units).
    I tried the patch you wear on the first page but to win vista and win7 does not.
    I do not have any kind of fact or to overclock the graphic or the micro. I have to uninstall drivers, boot mode to test failures, remains with erasing DriverSweeper, ccleaner pass complete rebooting and installing the 190 but still failing.
    The installation of a new 7 win.
    What can I do? :bang:
    Thank you all and sorry if there is any grammar error

15. _RA_

_RA_ Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini ITX
    same problem with 185.85 with street fighter 4

vista ultimate x64

16. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    I have to say... Theres your problem.

Many people getting the TDR errors are using Automatic ram, timing and voltages instead of configuring them manually.

another thing to note, is that though the Graphics driver is the one noted, it RARELY ever is the driver or the hardware, rather its something in the system that is failing to respond in time. Most cases its a poorly supported sound card, or network adapter.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  17. MLuppov

MLuppov Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTS250DK TOP 512Mb
    You want to say, that this problems can be caused not by VGA or it's driver, but by sound card in example? But it makes no sence:3eyes:. What is it? Some conflict or what? But I had no such problem in past and I've not changed hardware:pc1:. The only reason I see is software (drivers) or just VGA is ****ed up:bang:. I just hope, that it's the drivers problem:).
    Note: Have Window 7 x64 Build 7600, nForce 15.37 driver and GeForce/Ion 190.38 driver. OS is just installed and I've not noticed such problem with Windows 7 x86 Build 7125 (used it in past).

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  18. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    TDR is a Timeout and recovery, if a device fails to respond in the correct amount of time a Driver recovery occurs.
    Most of the time a device causing high dpc latency is the problem, which sometimes happens to be a Sound card (not always). Or sound card drivers.
    It can even be any usb driver or a connected and failing usb drive that causes it.

But the most often cause of it, was found to be incorrectly detected ram timings, or the ram required a +.1 voltage increase.

have a read through of this
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=31913

its not always the gfx driver, or the gfx card :)

19. MLuppov

MLuppov Member

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTS250DK TOP 512Mb
    Timing for ram? You mean system memory? If so, than all timing is set absolutely correct:nerd:. Voltage too. I've personally set all configurations manually in BIOS. Problem for sure not in memory:3eyes:. It passed all tests just fine without any problems. And as I wrote, this bloody TDR didn't happened before. I didn't change nothing except video driver. So I suppose there is no connection to my hardware. And I'm still can't see any connection of my sound card of usb device to GFX card:3eyes:.

20. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Try a clean install of the drivers?