Guru3D Folding@Home Information/Help Thread {Start Here New Users}

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by aircool, Aug 12, 2007.

1. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    Use FahMon to monitor the work progress,
    http://fahmon.net/download.html
    also u might want to check on your log file to see if you are getting error reports.

2. Vinn3H

Vinn3H Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX280 1gig XFX/ZOTAC
    Hello,

Last night i sucessfuly started running 2 GPU client consoles (one per card)

Im running 2 x gtx280's and the console is really stressing the cards, i have set both GPU fans to 100% and the core's will sit around 70 - 75 deg cel (with 2 x 120mm fans at full speed, one at the underside of the case and one on the side panel thats directly in between both the cards) the last thing i want to do is cook the cards. (i also have 2 x 120's at top of case, 1 x 120 at the front and 1 x 120 at the rear) case is a coolermaster RC 690.

My question is:
    Is there a way of throttling back how much of the GPU core and Shader is used by the folding process? from memory durring the console setup there was a question about CPU usage, but im not sure if that will apply to the GPU cores. also, to have all the fans @ 100% at night while PC is in my room is a bit of a bugger...

3. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    take a look at this, it might help http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=10404

4. Vinn3H

Vinn3H Member

GPU:

5. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    the 1888 will show you the lower temps, 353 511 really work the card, ppd shows it, but i wouldnt worry bout your temps till your constantly 85+, wu are known to fail due to excessive heat!!

my 260SSC doesnt go over 78 with the fan on auto, not using the idle core

6. Vinn3H

Vinn3H Member

GPU:
    Totaly agree with you there Happy, i have had the card's running at 85 - 90 while playing crysis and they havent skipped a beat. (wasnt monitoring the temps) my first gtx 280 (XFX GTX 280 xXx edition) normaly runs 10 deg cel hotter than the second gtx280 (zotac - amp edition) but i bought the zotac card about 8 months after the XFX card. either way, i still like to keep the cards as cool as possible while running F@H esspecialy keeping them under a heavy load for an extended period of time. in AUS the XFX cost me $690.00 (at the time) so you can see its a bit of an "investment" and i want to get the most out of it. but at the same time, i have the cash to backup a "dead card" so thats why in dedicating "gpu life" to F@H. also, sorry about the amount of "" in the article, i have had a bit to drink tonight (went out with friends) and im sure there are quite a few spelling mistakes hahaha. either way i think my GPU's have processed a few WU's so im happy to help. even now GPU0 (XFX) is running at 63 (core) 58 (AMB) and GPU1 (zotac) is running at 51 (CORE) 49 (AMB) i love rivatuner + logitech G15! makes life easier ;)

7. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    good glad to see your doing alright, once your familiar with the gpu setup, take a look at the smp client should boost you roughly 2k ppd :D

more clients the merrier ;)

8. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    how come when i close this , it still runs in background so i go to task manager and end the process only for it to reappeaer seconds later?? i cannot stop it from running.

using 9.7 driver and win7 rc 7100 64bit.

9. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    is it set to run as a service?

10. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster

as far as i can tell , no.

also can it use my second gpu as well? or just the first.

11. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    thats strange, right best thing to do, remove all you f@h stuff, redownload the console client(personal preference), set it all up again

it will work on both gpu's, you have to disable crossfire, then set up 2 f@h directories, apply the additional flag of "-gpu 0" & "-gpu 1" when you set up the client

have a look at this for in-depth guide http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/cgi-bin/edit/English/WinGPUGuide#ntoc3

12. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    thanks will try this
    cant disable crossfire as i have an X2

13. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    thats strange i thought you could, something to do with Catalyst A.I setting :S, or maybe its me, try it with the gpu flags and see how it goes

14. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster

mmm thanks for your help but after a breif read of that page you linked , it says i need two monitors so i geuss ill just run it on one gpu for now.

im installing console client as you said but it stopped at 0 out 500000 steps, whats happening is it running like that? its not useing the gpu, only cpu.

15. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    sorry mate thats the cpu client there

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/Folding@home-Win32-GPU_Vista-623.zip

thats the gpu client, you could try the dummy plug method it does work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtbfXg193do

16. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
  17. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
  18. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
  19. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    The use of dummy plugs does not do anything to your GPU it just fools the OS in to thinking that there is another monitor connected.

20. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Am I correct in thinking that a KVM switch would do the same trick?