good pc build?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dragoon87, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    if i were you i would go with the build biggerx made. though for the ram i would choose 1600Mhz.
    the GTX 275 is your best bet in terms of price/performance, like lavans said the difference isn't that big compared to the 285.

hope your build goes well, and welcome to guru3d!:D

2. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    About 50-75 dollars USD or a bit more. You don't gain that many frames with the 285 over the 275, maybe instead of hitting 60 frames in something you hit 65, its not a noticeable gain but it is something. But its not like you gain 50 more frames with the 285 to justify the higher price, just a few frames. Keep the 275 for it, it'll be just as good in the long run.

3. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    my other friend says that wait for the gt300 series
    should i wait for it?

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    HD4890 = ~$190
    GTX275 = ~$200
    Both of the above cards are relatively on par in terms of performance

GTX280 = ~$250
    Offers approximately a 5%-10% gain in FPS in comparison to the HD4890/GTX275

GTX285 = ~$330
    Offers approximately a 10%-15% gain in FPS in comparison to the HD4890/GTX275

Flip a coin ;)
    Seriously though, the HD4870/4890 and GTX260/275 are so inexpensive in relation to the performance they offer that it's not even funny. While waiting for the GTX3xx and HD5xxx series cards may give you more options, if you want to upgrade to a better card, it won't cost you an arm and a leg like previous generations.

5. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    is the price list of the newegg.com
    is same to all the countries?

6. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Yea, these are the prices off Newegg.com
    From what I've seen though, the prices off Newegg.com are pretty much relative to other forms of currency. Meaning that you would probably spend about the same amount in your own currency depending on where you live.

7. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    can my mother board support gtx275 x2?

8. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
  9. smashly

smashly Master Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 560ti / GTX 670
    1333Mhz ram ...
    The i7 920 cpu your using was designed to with 1066Mhz ram speed @ stock settings..
    Well it does for me on my current hardware until I tinkered with the bios settings and I manged to get my ram upto speed, but at the trade off of my cpu running a bit hotter.
    The Corsair 6GB 1333mhz ram is a good choice.

Anything MSI I'd stay away from, but that's just my choice from prior msi products I've owned.
    Evga or Gigabyte mobo would be a better choice..
    ASUS I'm weary of.. had to many great speed and optioned Asus mobo's that just suddenly stop booting with no warning, post or beeps and resolving the issue always left me feeling ripped off. Usually a better asus mobo hits the market before my issue gets resolved and then my issue just gets swept under the rug and never resolved... bahh

Seagate HD .. no way, pos..
    Lost to much data on seagate drives...
    WD Caviar Blacks excellent HD on a budget with great performance for the price.

4890 any brand is going to give you great gaming in any current game title.
    Manufactures are already starting to stray a little from the reference design, but regardless bang for buck a 4890 in any brand is no slouch when it comes to gaming..
    Crossfire you maybe lucky, but me I tried 2 x 4890 and had hardware/driver conflicts..
    They ran great for an hour or so in game then hard lock crash. (tried cpu's, psu's, ram, and 2 different mobos one am3 and my current i7 mobo, 4 different os and drivers).
    Reboot play again and same thing..
    Either card on it's own worked flawlessly for me..
    But I've since sold one card and just kept the other card and use it in my 2nd pc.

The PSU you've chosen is reputable, good choice.

Imho a better choice of mobo and hd and you'll be rocking current games.

10. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    --
    ASUS I'm weary of.. had to many great speed and optioned Asus mobo's that just suddenly stop booting with no warning, post or beeps and resolving the issue always left me feeling ripped off. Usually a better asus mobo hits the market before my issue gets resolved and then my issue just gets swept under the rug and never resolved... bahh
    --
    friend what do you mean by that?
    is that asus mobo is not a good choice?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009

11. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    the one by bigger x, the motherboard is better on that list.
    if you want two cards, then get 2x GTX 275 or 2x ATI card.
    the motherboard on biggerx's list can do both of them.

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I would say that's a pretty good build. The HD4890 is powerful enough to handle most, if not all, of what you can throw at it. Two of them would practically be overkill, but could definitely tide you over for quite some time.

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    After reading through this thread can I just ask one question - are you planning on building it yourself?!

14. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    nope i cant build a good one
    coz im new about this

15. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    EVGA X58 LE or Asus P6T Deluxe V2?
    what do you think?

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    The question nobody here has asked is what are you going to do with this PC? Are you just going to play games? Are you going to use it for video editting or some other demanding professional use?

Then people here are recommending nVidia 275 instead of the 4870, which is the best card available when it comes to price/performance.

Want a cheap but really good motherboard? Get the Asrock X58, if you really want to go Intel. It's getting superb reviews and is dirt cheap compared to the rest. Anandtech and XBit have written glowing reviews about the board.

Here is a chart comparing video cards.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/mainstream-roundup-2_22.html

While prices have dropped since this article was written it's still valid. For example the 275 and 4890 are 10% 'better' than the 4870 but cost 30% more, that is not price/performance value to me, no matter how it's turned or twisted.

- If you are a gamer get AMD instead, not only is it cheaper but it will yield the same results as the i7.
    - Memory bandwidth has very little effect on games. Tripple Channel yields a few fps over dual channel and it's highly latency dependent. I'd stick with Dual Channel unless there's a real need to go tripple.
    - AMD and nVidia are set to release their new generation of video cards soon. Buy a 'cheaper' card now and upgrade later, unless you have money.

This thread tastes of fanboiism.

17. dragoon87

dragoon87 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS A9550 Series 256mb
    i will use it for gaming and also future proof
    so that i will not upgrade anymore
    so whtas your advice?

18. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    not a faboy here, i myself have an amd cpu.
    but if you really want future proof, grab yourself an i7, triple channel memory, and an gtx 275.
    but like liranan said, you might want to wait for the GT300 or 58xx series to come out, as that will be the next step
    in graphics card, so if you dont mind getting a cheaper card and wait to upgrade to that then grab a gtx 260 core 216

19. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Nice informative post. Keep it up.

20. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I recommend getting a Phenom II and a cheap card like the 4870.

It will save you money and it will be just as future proof as the i7. I have had my Q6600 for two years now and bought it because I needed it for one game only (EVE). I have never regretted it and I'll, most likely, use it for another year, maybe two. Had the Phenom II been out when I bought this I'd have, definitely, saved money and bought an AMD that overclocks and performs just as well as Intel.

I will post some links later showing the difference between i7 and PII in games and you'll see there's next to no difference. The i7 shines in professional applications, where AMD has no response, not in games.

Anandtech
    http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3551&p=14

XBit
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-975-950_7.html#sect0

Guru3D
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i7-975-review/16

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-phenom-x4-945-and-955be-processor-review-test/17

I don't know how XBit tested their i7 but they are reporting different results to Guru and Anand.

As you can see there're very, very few games in which the i7 makes a difference and when it does make a difference it's negligible anyway. now if are bothered about Vantage and 3Dmark then get an i7 but, again, I recommend the Phenom II. Overclock that to close to 4GHz and you've got yourself a very nice CPU.