Anno 1404 and 4870X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Sneakers, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    How is it working for you?

I'm getting jojo fps goes from 60 to 25 all the time.

The gfx card is boiling water, taxes it more then crysis:warhead does, gpu,shader,mem litterally sitting on 100C if fan aint put on 60% wich is vacuumer :bang:

So how is this game working out for you guys? I tried on 9.6 and 9.7 seems to be the same, maybe 9.6 was a bit better, could be in my head aswell.

I havn't really played around with the graphics settings much just put it on max settings, spoiled as I'm..maybe there is some setting that is really performance cutting..

Anyway tips would be welcome if you know any for this game ( when it comes to gfx performance )

2. Steppis

Steppis Master Guru

GPU:
    2xXFX 5870 "XT" Crossfire
    Working great here at 1920x1080

3. rabbitweed

rabbitweed Member

GPU:
    2x6950@885/1385 unlocked
    sometimes fps drops below 60 on my rig (1920x1200) especially while zooming in and out

4. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac Gtx980Ti AmpExtreme
    I use ccc9.7, in game max settings, 8AA,8AF and 1920x1200, the fps is around 50-60. Sometimes it drops to 35-40.

And my video card is never get heat around 100C. Its fan is on auto, and when i play 3-4 hours anno1404, it gets 82C max. The room temperature is 27C by the way.

You should check your case ventilation out. Maybe you will need to put extra fans in it.

5. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I refuse to believe anyone that claims the game runs at 60FPS maxed out with 8x AA, in that case you've only played the first levels. As you play along you get huge cities and weather effects, where your FPS will drop... alot. I've had to reduce to 2x AA and disable DX10 to get playable FPS. It varies alot, some places it'll run a stable 60FPS, but as soon as you hover over some areas it drops down in it's 20's. I especially noticed that while zooming in on mountain areas where the ocean washes over rocky beaches, the FPS plummeted alot... must be some effect there that completely crashes the peformance. The game also seem to stutter alot as soon as it drops below 60FPS for some reason.

6. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    Hi again,

First of all, the wasn't played always 60fps. As i told this, the fps is changable. I use the max settings in the game, such as;

http://i0907.hizliresim.com/2009/7/31/4006.jpg

And there is a screenshot below that shows the exact zoom that i play the game and the fps over a city i made in continuous game.

http://i0907.hizliresim.com/2009/7/31/4011.jpg

When i zoom out, the fps drops to the 40s.

http://i0907.hizliresim.com/2009/7/31/4019.jpg

The last screenshot shows another island, the rocks, farms, waves stuff like that is below,

http://i0907.hizliresim.com/2009/7/31/4017.jpg

As final, i would like to tell, tha game is working perfectly fine when you play medium zoom settings. Even if the video settings was max, if you play the game normal zoom settings ( i mean ,not see the whole world at the same time ), it is high likely that you would get the around 50-60fps.

Oooh, i was almost forgetting something.
    The picture files were converted to jpeg format. Becouse you can't get screenshot with fraps fps counter on the screen when you simply press print-screen button. The game does not programmed this way. So i did use to get screenshots Fraps. And unfortunately Fraps get screenshot as only BMP format. Other formats weren't free. You need to pay for those format. So i converted the files to jpeg via AcdSee Pro. Thats why the pictures just a little bit blurry, and not sharp...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wait, are you playing the campaign? I read that the campaign has much, much worse FPS than the single scenarios have. I haven't tried anything else than the campaign myself yet.

8. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    No no, i play the continous game. Just above the campaign game. Its like skirmish mode. You choose the map, computer players, resources, weather etc.

9. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Ok, well that might explain your higher framerate. I'll test that when I'm done with the campaign.

10. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    I didn't think continuous game could be different from the campaign game. Its my bad tough :frown:

11. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah it's not your fault. I don't even know if it's in fact true, I just read a few comments from people saying they had an average loss of 10-20FPS comparing campaign with continious game. But if it's true it would go a long way in explaining why people report such huge variations in performance from this game.

12. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    Woow, 20fps is huge.

And if it is true then probably the campaign game needs more cpu power.

13. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, I have an i7 at 4.4GHz, so I doubt it. I've never seen CPU utilization over 20% while playing... could be that the game just need optimizing. Or better drivers from ATI, who knows. Doesn't matter too much, there isn't a whole lot of difference between 2x and 8x AA in this game due to the fact that everything is seen from above (duh!).

14. Erai

Erai Active Member

GPU:
    You are right. There is not much difference between 2XAA and 8XAA. At least the game is quiet playable. I hope the Rockstar can show the same performance next time :)

By the way thank you John for the chat...

15. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Yah I noticed this ocean to montains aswell seems to be where/why the fps drops.

I havn't figured out how to disable dx10 though there is no "dx9 dx10" button to mark really Oo..

And I tried lowering to 2x aff 4x af, no change in fps imo, it is something else.. also turned on the transparancy thing ( thining it confused the drivers since ATi has fsaa instead ) but still no performance change at all.

Obviously I play at 1920x1200 aswell ( 26" etc).

Case is antec 900, all fans in and sure it is summer now but still, I get pritty crazy temps and the game starts to flicker abit once it stays above 100 degrees for a longer period of time :)..Can run warhead with nothing close to those temps, and during winter my gpus idle at sub 30 degrees all of the temp reading sensors, so airflow is good.

Running stock clocks also so no OC during summer on the gpus.

Could be I need a formate of OS, have needed one for quite a while..anyway.

Guess I will have to fiddle with the gfx settings some more until I find that oen setting :)

/edit

Not sure wich game mode I play, I just picked the one at top to try it out, thinking I would try the others aswell but I got hooked and played like 25 hours in 3 days or something crazy :infinity:

Stupid ingame tool tells me to stop playing :/ asking me where my family is and shi+..made be chuckle the first time it went "where is your family" was like "gives a??" I want warships!! :banana:

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
  17. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Aye worth a shot I guess :)

/edit

Lol, they write about quit to desctop issue on that blog spot and I havn't had it happend once in like 30 hours, and now after 10 mins of playage I got it ;d..

Odd..

18. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    Fixed the crash to desctop by launching the game from within the "gu.exe" icon within the x86 folder. And by reducing af to 4x i went from 25 to 45 min fps, so now it is alot more enjoyable. Raising or lowering AA does absolutly nothing for this game no IQ or performance change imo.

/edit

Nah still crashes now. Quite odd, I might get it that some comp crash from the get go due to some driver conflict or bad install or whatever, but I have been able to play more then 35 hours 100% crash free :).. not crashed one time before I read you message about crashing lol now I get it like every 10-15 mins. Makes the game totally unplayable. :bang:

/edit

Hmm odd, rebooted and now I don't crash to desctop anymore. Seems odd this issue, msn crashed so I thought I'd reboot anyway and then it worked.

Win7 x64 ultimate RTM 7600 build if anyone wounders.

Well problemfree now and when dx9 is set fps is 55-60 and min 38-42 with 8x af and 4x aa so not bad :) (changed in the config file by editing it to '9' instead of '0' and fraps reports it as dx9 aswell )

Until ati sorts drivers that will have to do not fun to lag around in dx10 when the diffrence isn't that noticeable.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  19. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hm.. I haven't tried playing around with the AF settings at all, they're at 8x for me. But it's odd that you're not seeing any peformance difference when you adjust the AA level, are you sure it's actually being applied? Sounds like it isn't, because there is a IQ difference and the performance difference is definitely measurable. Perhaps AA doesn't work in DX9?

I wonder what NVIDIA performance is like in this game? I know there's a performance review of the game here at Guru3D, but it doesn't seem to reflect real-life gameplay too well since we're all experiencing much worse performance than the article implies. Have you tried disabling Crossfire to see if it's actually working?

Ah well, performance is good enough for an RTS I guess. The 4870 X2 is a one year old card now, I don't really expect to go all tits-out with the settings in new games anymore. Roll on the new generation of cards! :)

20. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce

Yah both gpus are working, very noticable if you turn it off, also you can see both gpus beeing heated and both cores beeing utlizied in both riva and gpu-z.

Dx10 ran pritty poor imo, but from what I could tell aa didn't really have any impact on the performance, while zoomed in it was 50-60 fps while moving around but I can't play zoomed in you see too little basically. And when zooming out and moving around rappidly it was jojoing from 23-25 fps to 60 fps all the time and that is just unbearable, rather have it fixed at 25 fps then going back n forth like that.

Anyway Ill try a formate in a day or so and see if performance increases, and for now dx9 is really smooth and the game is good enough for not only beeing eyecandy, like Crysis :)..

From what I read 285 gtx does the game pritty poor aswell and the 295 abit better then 4870x2. But then again I donno if ppl play it in dx9 or dx10 since that seems to be the diffrence here. Obviously the guys above who claimed 60 fps play in dx9, and just failed to mention that. :infinity: