The Windows 7 Thread Pt.2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by aircool, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XXlerator

XXlerator New Member

GPU:
    MSI Geforce N470GTX
    so...the rtm build is now official 7600 16385?
    Or can we expect another build on 6th August? :p

2. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
  3. centurie

centurie Master Guru

GPU:
    n/a
    windows 7 is the only operating system that has given me problems,i installed win 7 RTM everythign wemt smooth all drivers found and updated,the problems are.lag on the desktop whem you opem a programm,it always gives a slight jerky pause when opeing anything, if i disable areo everything is ok...vista runs fast and smooth for me so does xp pro.........iv seen many people on the internet with the same problem...

next is i was playing empire total war i have it installed on xp pro vista and now windows 7..when i was playing on win 7 i had an error come up while loading a battle saying..that i don't have enough video memmory to play the game lol..........i have never seen this error before in my life with any operating system...my card is a ATI 2900xt..512mb...and it playes empire great on vista.

so unless i can get it fixed i will be uninstalling this.....i really don't see its any better than vista..my vista runs fast and smooth .

4. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    I don't know why everyone is jumping on the Win7 bandwagon (actually I do). Vista with SP2 is pretty much perfect, so I'll be sticking with it for quite some time. Even my notebook with Vista Premium 64bit recognizes and works with my 5 or 6 year old(can't remember) IPAQ Pocket PC, flawlessly.

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Because the usability is much better then Vista? I mean - the speed increases are excellent, but the new taskbar makes it so much easier to find what you're looking for. With two monitors, I can easily have four items opened and sorted in seconds (btw i found this out the other day, you can 1/2 screen a windows with two monitors using windows key + arrows). The library system makes it so much easier to organize your data across multiple folders - good for backing up too. SSD support is way better on 7.

I can't even use Vista/XP anymore - I have XP installed for sound editing, I'm probably going to delete the partition in the next week or so - just use my MacBook Pro for sound and my desktop for everything else.

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    agrees with Denial.
    Vista ran slow on my Netbook (atom cpu) but W7 is every bit as fast as XP on it, plus i did not have to install 1 single driver, literally the out of box install was flawless.
    I still say W7 is bloated though, not sluggish bloat but just size and functionality bloat. XP on my netbook is 6gb compared to like 18gb w7, and all i do with it is get online, play emulators and music,movies. so i went back to my Nlited XP which is only about 2gb's installed and fully functional for my needs. size is a big deal if your limited on space for movies,music..etc.
    other than personal gripes, W7 works well.

7. RandyB

RandyB Banned

GPU:
    HIS HD4870/Samsung2343BWX
    There's an understatement! I'm surprised Vista runs on a netbook at all.
    Vista Premium 64bit is on this notebook and everything is super fast. As far as HD space goes - I have plenty - as well as over 1 terabyte of external sata drives. I know W7 is good; but not good enough for me to go out and buy it when I'm 100% satisfied with Vista and SP2. :)
    I have 92 :eek: processes running ATM and everything is still fast and responsive.

8. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    One reason I like Win 7 is that you can unplug a usb device or printer and reinsert it in another usb port without getting the 'new device' found and installing its drivers again. With Vista/XP, they needed to be plugged into the same usb port to avoid that. Plus being lighter, more efficient with memory/resources, more stable with games/applications.

Some things I dont like about Win 7:

- jumping through hoops to get the quick launch bar on the taskbar.

- no manual arrange of icons within folders (you can not drag a file/folder to a preferred spot or corner within a window, it snaps back into the grid by forced auto-arrange). This is the only Windows version since Win 95 that does that.

- a bug that hasnt been fixed in RTM, I tried this on 3 different machines with RC and RTM builds: you can not select/highlight multiple files/folders effectively by quickly hovering them with the control key pressed. Some get highlighted while others do not. Try it. (Yes, you can use the shift key to select multiple files, but thats not a solution when you want to exclude randomly placed files/folders within selected rows).

- still same retarded issue (as with Vista). Sometimes when you extract small rar files, they may take several seconds to do so. Even when they're only a mb or two. Its near instantaneous in XP. Copying to usb flash drives can also take much longer than on XP. This a Vista issue too.

9. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Eh? Try right clicking and selecting Pin to Taskbar, whats the point in a quick launch with that feature?

Can't say I have this issue...

Had the issue in Vista prior to SP1, since then it's been better. With 7 it's really no difference for me compared to how XP was.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

11. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster

damn i only started the download of 7600 last night

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    RTM build here..
    Have one problem. I have no Recycle Bin in windows explorer (but I have it on the desktop). How do I get it in win explorer too?

13. bokeh

bokeh Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB
    Was this what you meant? three ways to use recycle bin in explorer

1. Under favorites select Desktop and it shows Recycle bin.

2. Create shortcut to favorites (drag and drop recycle bin from desktop to favorites)

3. Right click on navigational panel and select Show all folders.

14. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    People what to use to open iso's / bin etc on 7600 build ?
    Daemon tools isnt working yet lol or perhaps anybody knows a way to get it running ?
    i did use poweriso before, but didnt handle the protection of the mini-images i want to use.

15. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Hmm.. What version of DT have you tried? Maybe some old one? Get the DAEMON Tools Lite 4.30.4. It has been working fine for me since build 7077 when they officially started supporting Windows 7 :) And don't mind that program compatibility warnings which OS will give you on install and when trying to launch DT, just ignore them.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Pin to taskbar only works on applications. With the quick launch bar you can include frequently accessed drives or folders, thats the point.

I realize many people have different ways of doing this, which makes me think you may not have precisely understood my point. Can you select multiple/files folders with a quick mouseover and control key pressed (Operative word: quick) as you can with XP/Vista? This for anyone else to test as well.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    it wont work for me anymore on the 7600rtm build. i know it worked for me on the 7100rc . it just wont install the SPT. i have tried the 159 spt aswell , but it didnt work.

18. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Does it give you any useful error information?

19. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    where is dreamscene, how do i activate it?, i saved my dreamscene content from vista but win7 wont display them.

20. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.