GTX280 FTW failure?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by LKHERO, Jul 30, 2009.

1. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    Hey guys,
    Haven't really posted in a long long time.. but something's up with my GFX card as of late.

I recently RMA'd my eVGA GTX280 FTW edition because of heavy artifacting, screen tearing and general distortion when playing games. My card will be at 65C before it would mess up 10 minutes into CoD4 on a 1680x1050 display. My cooling in my Antec 900 case is quite good and my processor (E8400 OC'd) runs at 32/40C.

When I got my new GTX280 in the mail today, I plugged it in and fired up CoD4. The card immediately started to artifact 10 minutes into the game.

Now I'm a pretty computer savvy kinda guy, but I burned in this system pretty good and didnt run into any problems with any other hardware. For full system specs, I'm currently running:

E8400 @ 3.2 ghz, 800 mhz 4-4-4-8-1T G.skill RAM @ 1:1 FSB, 1600.
    PSU is a PC P+C 750W Silencer @ 60 amps.
    Voltages on RAM is 2.0v
    CPU @ 1.32v
    +5V rail @ 4.92V
    +12V rail @ 12.04V

I'm out of ideas guys.. any feedback would be nice. Since you can't host a dxdiag here I have one up in this thread on another forum:
    http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?s=&showtopic=516380&view=findpost&p=6224083

Here are my video settings:

[​IMG]

2 things to note here:

I have no idea why threaded optimization was set to On and not on Auto, why Triple buffering is On but Vsync is forced off.

Otherwise, every else looks like my normal settings.

Could these settings cause artifacting? or the card to go stupid 10 minutes into a game?

edit: These are the newest NV drivers.

Any feedback would be great!!!! :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Make sure your PCIe frequency is set to 100MHz and your Northbridge (SPP) has enough voltage and decent cooling. Also check your chipset drivers are up to date.

3. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    No, these settings cant do artifacting, first option is to enable use of cpu which have more cores then one.
    But .. Sometimes unstable cpu or too tight timings on memory can do this, try to set 5-5-5-5-12-2T if anything changes.

4. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    I have tried 5-5-5-12-2T ratings before and received the same problems over and over. I also burned in this system with Orthos, Everest and Sandra and everything seems to be coming up OK.

I will, however, check the PCI-E frequency, the NB voltage and possibly older drivers when I get back.

Have you guys seen this issue in the past? Do you know which are the best drivers for GTX280 users?

5. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You SHOULD be burning in your system with Intel Burn Test. It will show you errors that orthos won't even after a 24 hour run.

Also are you sure your RAM shouldn't be @ 2.1v? Cause I know every Gskill performance set I've bought in the last year was 2.1v.

I'm using the latest 190.38 WHQL drivers with no issues. I had no issues with the 180.xx/185.xx WHQL drivers as well.

The 180.xx/185.xx Beta drivers on the other hand were really ****ed up for the most part. Don't know why.

6. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    I'm currently using these RAM:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

And I'm currently at 800 mhz, 4-4-4-8-1T, 2.0 vDIMM. I haven't had any problems with it yet.. but I will do a Intel Burn test when I get home. The RAM said that it's supposed to be 1066 @ 2.0-2.1v.. but I'm only pushing 800 atm.

I will try with the rated speeds, 5-5-5-15-2T @ 1066 @ 2.1v if Im getting problems still.

I'm also using this board:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024

And I'm not quite sure whether or not the board could be faulty.

Edit: Just ran Intel Burn Test. Here are my results:
    [​IMG]

So.......... :(

7. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    Hmm anyone? Still getting problems.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What was the last stable driver you remember using? 182.xx series by chance?

9. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    Yes, the last stable drivers I remember were old ones.. around the ~180 series. Do you know which ones are the best from that series?

How could drivers be the problem? (if it is the problem)

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    185.85 seemed very stable to me on the 285..where did u buy the card from? run furmark and ati tool and see whether it artifacts on stock speeds. have u connected both power connectors to seperate rails on the psu?

i would rma if it continues to artifact. could be you are getting some terrible luck with your cards...

11. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Test completed in 261 seconds. That means it ran for about 3 minutes. That's 1 single pass. You need to run it 15-20 times. It'll take about an hour. Not saying it has anything to do with the video card, but that is how IBT is suppose to be ran.

Did you get your RAM @ 1066Mhz 2.1v?

12. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    This is my 2nd RMA. I asked about the problem with the first one and eVGA told me they didn't have any problems with it.

I ran ATItool's artifact scan last night and came up with nothing. The card peaks at 76C and doesn't go any higher.

The PSU I use is a 750W PC Power + Cooling Silencer with a 60A on a almighty 12V rail that branches to the other components in the system.

Can someone answer my question on the drivers? How is it possible that my computer "could" have artifacting problems with drivers but not others?

13. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    I think I left it at 5 runs on Standard.. but I'll run it again with 20 tests when I get back.

I didn't try 1066 on 2.1v yet.. but I have in the past but I couldn't reach 1:1 with my FSB. After some tests, my 800 mhz on 4-4-4-8-1T beat out the 1066 mhz 5-5-5-15-2T in benchmarks in read/write, so I decided to go with it.

14. PCIGamer

PCIGamer Member

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC Edition
    a few random (?) things to try if you haven't already.

Ensure your BIOS is updated to the latest firmware.

Have you attempted to underclock the gpu itself and see if that makes any difference?

15. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    I will probably flash the BIOS when I get home.

16. PCIGamer

PCIGamer Member

GPU:
    BFG 9600GT OC Edition
    Great, let us know how that works out - I recall there used to be issues with watching videos and artifacting on your motherboard (780i) that a bios update resolved.

While it doesnt sound exactly related to your issue, it certainly wouldnt hurt to try.

17. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    Flashing my BIOS tonight to..
    EVGA 780i SLI - P08 BIOS
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=552263

This caught my eye:

I currently have a A2 board; P06 BIOS. Will post later and let you know how it works out.

18. LKHERO

LKHERO Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming Z
    Oh, I ran 20 tests today at Standard and it came back successful.

I'm going to do BIOS tonight.

19. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
    did you check proper airflow to your card and in your case?
    could be an issue of heat build-up around the card??:flame:

20. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Ooo I want to know what happened. Keep us up to date.