Opera whines again: Browser selection in W7 is NOT enough, remove the IE logo!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Keitosha, Jul 29, 2009.

1. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    It's not anti competitive. Why should they be punished because consumers are too stupid to make informed decisions?

2. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    They shouldn't. I agree that even if they oblige that nothing will change. Consumers and stupid and that's likely never going to change. The Opera exec would be better off asking MS to sponsor a campaign to educate the masses. That might actually make people switch from IE. Though not necessarily switch to Opera.

3. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I think the point is that they are abusing their position in one market to gain leverage in another. A common monopoly practice is to do this, drive out competition, then either stop innovation or to raise prices. Both of which are anti-consumer.

There are laws against monopolies for a reason, if you don't like those laws you can either change them or move elsewhere where there are different laws.

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well, Microsoft has already won. They monopolized the browser market and made IE so identifiable everyone (average joe/jane) assumes it is what you use. Hell, you think the name Internet Explorer (both common words) was picked by MS for a reason? It is a self-explanatory program, it explores the internet. A FireFox? Do I need to call the fire department? Opera? Someone is singing? Chrome? On my 20" rims? Safari? Poor elephants.

MS knew it probably would get caught with this, but they already have what 70% market share? They got into every average joe and janes mind as the browser to use. If it wasn't for the competitors we would still be using IE 5 or 6 wouldn't have things like fast load times, tabbed browsing, or a million other things. We need the competition.

5. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    So they are getting fined for really really good marketing? That's what I took out of your paragraph.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Opera loses 1 respect point for this ****. Pathetic.

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    opera are wankers they should die

8. The Chosen 1

The Chosen 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 6870 MSI TwinFrozer II
    Oh my...

Microsoft is getting fined for abusing their dominant position to deliver a browser bundled with their dominant OS, and so, drive the competition out of the market and then, when there is no significant competition, they can do whatever they like with their browser... which would be doing nothing for many many years... maybe with an occasional color change or new menu entry ...

That's what i took out of his paragraph ...

9. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    What does Opera get if someone uses their browser, anyway? It's freeware so there's no direct profit coming from that... Must be something to be worth all the pissing and moaning.

Mostly what I feel about this entire browser ordeal is that anyone who wants to use Opera or FF or Chrome will have downloaded it and used it whether Windows was packaged with all those browsers or not. Everyone who has never heard of those or has no interest in them will continue to use IE. Where was all this during the last Windows release? No one cared then.

10. Sparx

Sparx Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD 6950 OC 2GB
    Opera.. What a load of twats, so sad and pathetic - it isn't even THERE own ****ing operating system.. I'm still appauled M$ (despite the **** they get) were able to be fined for bundling their OWN damn web-browsing program into it.. Mozilla and Google don't have their own OS (yet) and they don't complain.. Just because Opera is the last of the pick they want to whine.. Way to big for their boots, bastards.

This guy said it all too:

11. micketh

micketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 8GB
    It's just a browser at the end of the day I really wish the competetion would spend less time bitching and more time actually improving their products. I quite like the IE logo... It's quite sexy. So **** off Opera.

12. Nemesis_2k7

Nemesis_2k7 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    uh oh .. another troll / flame thread. NO your the whiner for posting this crap. now kindly **** off you opera hater. $10 this guy works for ms

13. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Rofl
    And the anti-troll five-post hero enters the arena, flailing wildly and beating his chest with a club in defiance of the anti-competitive Opera haters.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    $10 you get banned within an hour :)

I win.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  15. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Opera makes money via adverts. So, while it's free to download and use; it's still a business. Btw, Opera wasn't always "free" either.

As far as I'm concerned they can stick it up their ass. I'd be happy with just IE and Firefox in the browser list.

Cases like this has repercussions for other software included with windows like anti-virus and media player. No doubt that windows media player will be targetted at some point and if MS releases windows with an anti-virus then all hell is gonna break loose!

16. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    ive been using Opera 10 Beta 2 - its freaking fast!! i ditched Chrome after trying it

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Have you guys been having trouble with FF in Win7?

18. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    This has nothing to do with Apple and games DO work in mac. The only reason why 'MOST' game do not 'work' in mac is because they used MS standards and are TOO STUPID (probably lazy) to make it works on mac.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Almost 15 years later....they still have no more market share than they orignally did when competing solely against Netscape....

So, MS is expected to do exactly what Netscape did 15+ years ago prior to IE coming into existance...

Prior to IE, there was no innovation in Netscape what so ever....all they did was slap a new version number on it and convince consumers it was "new" so they'd buy another copy of the exact same browser. How come nobody bitched and whined about having to buy Netscape prior to IE's release?

BTW....IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari all managed to gain more market share within the first 48hrs of public release.....than Opera has managed to gain in the first 15 YEARS on the "market".....so, why does anyone take them seriously????

20. mameira

mameira Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 470 GTX
    Remove PAINT! I want photoshop! now!

Remove windows media player! I want the media player clasic!

Remove.. err you get the point :/

Its their OS :S