Cat 9.7 is officially released today!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    So far it's available for Win7 and Vista under the Full Catalyst Software Suite options. XP currently still says Cat 9.6 but will more then likely change soon. Just make sure you click on your OS (currenlty Win7 or Vista) to start downloading the Cat 9.7

You can download the new drivers right here:

2. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I am just reading the relase notes but this is funny:

AMD has delivered its first official unified WHQL certified graphics driver designed for the Windows 7 RTM (Release To Manufacturing)

The final RTM build compiled today! They did not even intalled this driver on the final RTM version of Windows 7 yet, but they say that it has been made for the final RTM version...
    Yes, it should work fine on every post-beta1 build, but, arrrgh... How can they tell something like this? :biggun:

It was a too big joke when they told that they have a fully working 9.5 WHQL for Win7 RC builds. Yes, it was WHQL but I could not play with OpenGL games, so that was not a fully funcional driver...

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]

For those who are wondering.

4. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    It wasn't compiled today, they announced RTM not compiled the final build. The final build has been compiled for about a week now.

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    One of the MS employees told me this today that "they are compiling the final build now". The final RTM is 7600.16386 and not *85 which was a prelelease subbuild for RTM vote.

BUT! The driver is dated to 07/02. There was no available 7600.16385 build that time. So, it was never tested on the final RTM and it was not made for the test-RTM anyway...

6. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Uhm no.. they don't spit out a new compile the day they announce RTM. When they announce RTM that means they have a compiled build that has met their qualifications to be called a "Final" product.

They've had the RTM branch for atleast a month now, the only changes that have been made in this time frame are bug fixes and compatibility improvements, I don't see what the problem is with ATI saying they are RTM ready.

Regardless of the RTM being 16385 or 16386 they are still RTM worthy as there isn't really any major changes to the OS as I stated above.

I should also note that the "16386" rumor has been around for about a week and no ones confirmed a build, so it's not likely that it's legit. But hey, anything can happen.

7. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I know that this driver shoul work fine on any build from ~6800 but I think that this statement is pompous. There was no final RTM when they made this driver.
    As I know, *86 was compiled today and that is the final RTM. Maybe it is a joke but, as you said, "anything can happen".

8. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    No, but they released it the day the RTM was released, I really don't see what the big deal here is, you know it works so who gives a crap what ATI is saying about it? It's not like it's a false statement. The RTM branch has been open for awhile now and could have easily been testing these drivers on any of the builds in the branch.

16386 was not compiled today, they don't compile builds then immediately announce it as RTM, what if the compile contained a show stopper bug? Sigh... I give up. You obviously don't understand the process these builds go through in order to reach RTM status. :bang:

9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    The trick could be that 86 is a recompiled 85. :) So they tested the 85 and then recompiled the same source code with a new version string to be the final RTM.
    And I did not heard from anyone else that they announced the final RTM.
    If you say so, then I will believe it. I had different informations when I arrived...

10. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Just because it could be a "recompile" of 16385 doesn't mean something couldn't go wrong and a new bug could pop up.

Also: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/default.aspx

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    This is a Catalyst 9.7 thread (gfx card drivers), if you want to talk about the Windows RTM, the Operating Systems forum is what you want. :/

12. mwpeck

mwpeck Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/07/22/microsoft-announces-windows-7-rtm-at-mgx

So in short considering this build was leaked almost a week ago its possible ATI, despite the driver being finished, did not release it until they installed and tested it on the final RTM build (which again, was leaked almost a week ago).

So yes, despite not having the final RTM before the driver was dated and finished, its possible they tested it full on the final RTM, found it working to their standards, and tacked that into the release notes.

13. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Problem solved as this is:
    A. off topic to this thread
    B. way to trivial to argue about.

Now who has tried this driver with Prototype or the RE 5 benchmark program?

14. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    ...maybe if you had read the posts above you would realize he was simply confirming what I had said in regard to these drivers being "RTM Ready" according to ATI.

15. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I did quote the post above me. I take it you had no problem installing Cat 9.7

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009

16. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    So far not a single issue, been playing COD5/TF2 so far and everything seems good. Installed them right over the leaked WHQL ones with no errors.

17. mwpeck

mwpeck Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Sorry for the confusion, I was actually replying to Janos who claimed the final RTM was 7600.16386 when it has infact been confirmed that 7600.16385 is the final RTM.

EDIT: As for these drivers, they are the same as the ones posted yesterday (available through some DL managers from ATI themselves), so if you downloaded them there yesterday there is no reason to download them again today.

18. Funky Doodle

Funky Doodle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte ATI HD 5830 1GB
    nice drivers! anno 1404 looks much smoother and freezes are gone in call of juarez bib, when loading saves!

19. zomb69

zomb69 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 OC/3Dsyncmaster
    yeah its exactly same as what was already leaked, no need to reinstall

20. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    So for XP users we have to wait for tomorrow, thats fine i guess.