190.38 WHQL available

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TeethDestroyer, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Is it the RR thats causing the issues, or the OS.. theres the problem.

Retained Mode games will have flickering regardless as Vista/Win7 lack retained mode D3D support, and both have issues with DDraw apps.

2. Rubysoul

Rubysoul Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    It's been a bug all along, and MS/NVidia said they were fixing it but thus far have not. Are you on Win 7? Go to the NVidia control panel and choose "Change resolution". The right column should have 59hz selected if you're on a 60hz display (most laptop LCDs run at this rate).

3. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This and the 190.38 beta are the only drivers that have crashed my rig. They are very fast but very unstable.

I have used nearly every driver nVidia has put out over the years with out issues. it seems these may have been rushed out to showcase the new features.

When I first installed them I had the Performance mode in the CP, even could adjust it, but after a reboot it dissappeared? then the crash in game that left my CP inop, even after a reboot it was impossible to adjust resolutions any more, had to driver clean and reinstall. Then the fan running full tilt all the time.

I really hope the next driver is solid. The 185.XX, 186.XX and 190.XX series drivers have been rather meh.

4. Rubysoul

Rubysoul Active Member

GPU:
    ATI 7970M
    Lol.. like I said I haven't had any ill effects of 59hz yet so I stopped fighting with it long ago. I'm stepping back out of the loop on this one and letting the OP continue.

5. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    50% drop in my FPS in various games.

The 190s stink on my system.

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    It occurs on ATI hardware as well, as long as the display says 60hz, its running at 60hz. check the status/info page of your monitor's OSD.

I'd say its just a change in windows 7 and has nothing to do with the drivers.

....am i the only one that thinks Spyre at the ATI forums is a total chump.....

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    [​IMG]

Defaults to 60hz with me, could it be a bug that doesn't affect HDTV's?

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
  9. -=Seany=-

-=Seany=- Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    regarding AA problems: I removed nhancer, removed 190.38. Reinstalled 190.38. still same problem with AA not being applied via profiles.

TeethDestroyer : confirmed setting it as a global option works.

what the heck is going on here?

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    odd, man. u sure u made a clean uninstallation?

11. Matt151b

Matt151b Guest

GPU:
    Gtx 1080
    On my gtx280 I can adjust power settings

On my 9500 gt I can NOT adjust power settings? It says that it will be adjustable for 9-series and above. Is it only applicable to those cards that do downclock automatically. I don't think my 9500 does downclocking (wish it did).gtx

gtx 280 is on Vista 32-bit; 9500 gt is on 32-bit win 7 RC

12. grabibus

grabibus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090
    impossible to force AA through CP or nHancer...

I want to keep my 16Q AA in COD, COD2...

Bye bye 190.38.

Come back to 186.18.

13. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896

actually.. i think i know wtf is happening.

its the same reason why Aero is preventing the fan/3dclock from dropping back..... I've seen it happen several times.

Infact.. i bet end tasking explorer.exe will allow AA to work properly, as well as the fan speeds.

14. Sieras

Sieras Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 4GB
    Hm I can confirm clock fluctuations in Windows7 x64 build 7600, they're constantly going up/down between performance 3d/low power modes while simply doing nothing even staring at the desktop with no mouse movement, lol. That's with Aero on.

BTW, just out of curiosity I've tried creating a profile for dwm.exe (process, responsible for aero effect)..now the clocks are always in performance mode and doesn't go down..well at least there's no fluctuations. I've tried setting it both to adaptive and performance but that didn't change anything.

Interesting :)

15. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Ah, new card, new drivers, new problems :)

Same thing over here with the 2D clock. But no fan issues, maybe due to the custom fan (it's a Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP). I'm running Win7 x64 Build 7100.

Strange enough there have allready been complaints to this problem in beta stage, but NVidia didn't seem to care. Hopefully they prepare an update soon.

Edit: Disabling desktop composition makes power saving work just fine. But it doesn't look nice :(

16. antsh

antsh Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080 Ti
    I also am experiencing the fan control bug on my 9800GTX. The fan spins up as the card heats up, and then just remains at the highest speed it reached independent of the card cooling back down. Shame really, otherwise these drivers have been great on my system. All of you guys with the fan control bug should send feedback to nVidia so they are aware of it.

As a side note, it should be pretty easy to isolate the bug in the driver since the 9800GTX/GTX+/250GTS is unique in that it does not have a fanspeed IC onboard, and relies totally on the driver for fan speed control.

17. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Hmm.

So, would these drivers allow users to define explorer.exe as a '2D' power-level for 9-series or higher cards and would that be a workaround to the fluctuating 2D/3D speeds?

I'm on Windows 7 with a 7-series card but then again I don't even enable Aero as I feel it looks like ****. :)

18. XcroN

XcroN Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti Aorus xtreme
    downloading thanks ill test them up

19. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    1. Alt Tabbing is nice and a must when developing different parts in 3D game clients and servers.
    Most games fully support the switching around and keeping things like Vsync etc. as set by user.
    So far I only ran into 1 game that conflicts with it.
    You are correct about buffering though.
    With this said, I can't advice people running games like WoW and better in windowed mode.
    Simply because performance is doomed to suck.
    Full screen and alt+tab is the better option, and I don't have the delay issue with any game.
    There was an earlyer beta driver where the control panel had a bug, but that is some time ago, and did not repeat in any driver coming afterwards.
    So I bet it is something else that is causing the issue, not this driver itself.

2. Games alá Diablo II look like crap on big monitors, unless you run them windowed at higher resolutions and with a Glide Emulator. Shame that Blizzard doesn't allow people to use it on Battle Net, cause the old game looks great with these things. I'm gonna upload some screenshots later, just came home from vacation so cnbatm.

Some things are ment to be now, even if they weren't in the past. :3eyes:

20. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Crap driver i am going back to 182.06(best driver).

The 190.38 is as bad as the 186 185 drivers so don’t bother.