i7 Keep up With 285?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Keith Wing, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well one test i.e farcry 2 isnt completely conclusive but nontheless nice testing crysis.

so it seems running at 4aa you gain a fair bit. perhaps ten fps or so. but with 8aa not much dif..

i wonder what i will see at 1920x1200. i will test over the next few days...

(i play with 4aa on most of the time maybe thats why i see more of a benefit. i find the diff between 4aa and 8aa in terms of looks neglible so i keep to 4aa and 16af).

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Yes, the higher the AA the more GPU bound you become.

3. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    It's not a +20fps, but definitely a nice boost. I do imagine FC2 being somewhat CPU bound considering all the individual objects it's trying to calculate physics and AI for.

I would definitely love to see more stock vs OC'd pics from Crysis, and you as well Mitzi, since not everyone has the luxury of being able to OC passed 3.7GHz ( and because Robs' rig seems broked :banana: ). Regardless, I'll post some results here too in a little.

4. Crisis66

Crisis66 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970
    I can do other benchmarks if anyone is interested. Such as RE5 benchmark, Crysis, SF4 and FEAR. Of course doing all of this would take a chunk of my time so I will probably do them over the course of tomorrow as it's too late to try to get all that work done tonight.

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Go for it! It'll be interesting to see the differences between some forum users' comps :thumbup:
    Though I'm not sure if I'm going to bench RE5 or not, because of the fact that I've seen it too many times in the recent past and am quite frankly sick of it's long ass test phase :bang:

6. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I find this comment halarious coming from someone who's rig doesnt hardly even gain a single frame rate from overclocking.

Some people just cant stand to be humbled.

7. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Ahem.....maybe not in FC2 but I would advise you to take note of my other benchies.

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    yea I never use AA8x when I game, I always use AA4x as I dont see any point to AA8X which why i saw my results.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    For the sake of keeping the post tidy, I'll post some generic graphs and provide a link to a .zip of each benchmark result.

Test Setup

Stock
    Q9450 @ 2.66GHz ( 333x8 )1.25v
    Two HD4870 512Mb 825/1100 Catalyst 9.6
    4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 1800MHz 8-8-8-21 @ 1333MHz 5-5-5-14
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Overclocked
    Q9450 @ 3.7GHz ( 463x8 ) 1.2875v
    Two HD4870 512Mb 825/1100 Catalyst 9.6
    4Gb G.SKILL DDR3 1800MHz 8-8-8-21 @ 1543MHz 6-6-6-16
    Vista Ultimate 64-bit

The results

FarCry2 - All settings maxed at 1920x1080. I was unable to do a test with 8xAA due to my cards' 512Mb buffer.
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, there's little difference between 2.66GHz and 3.7GHz with CrossFire disabled, which leads to imply that FarCry 2 isn't overly CPU bound.

Left4Dead - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, film grain off.
    [​IMG]
    Another example of a GPU bound game. The only test that yielded any significant gain with overclocking was with CrossFire enabled.

Resident Evil 5 - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, HDR at 32-bit
    [​IMG]
    Much like Left4Dead, the only result yielding a significant gain while overclocked was with CrossFire enabled.

F.E.A.R. - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, soft shadows enabled
    GTA4 - All settings on high at 1920x1080, View Distance 32, Detail Distance 70, Vehicle Density 51, Shadow Density 10
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, F.E.A.R. received little gain between both CrossFire and the overclocked speeds.
    GTA4 on the other hand, is known to be highly CPU bound, hence the reason for such a small difference between CrossFire being disabled and enabled.

Track Mania Nations United - All settings maxed at 1920x1080, motion blur enabled.
    [​IMG]
    Another CPU bound game, but with the age of the graphic engine, it's not too surprising. The performance difference between 4xAA and 8xAA is so little, it's almost laughable.

Is it worth it to overclock? I'd say so, especially since it's easy enough to do and best of all, free. But again, unless you're playing a CPU bound game or are running dual graphic cards, you'll be lucky to see even a 10% boost in FPS.

The .zip containing each screen cap
    http://g.imagehost.org/download/0661/Benchmarks
    Edit: I just realized that I didn't screen cap the full FC2 results. So here are the .html results in .zip
    http://g.imagehost.org/download/0075/Results

:eek:c:

10. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    People here should also keep in mind that a 512MB HD 4870 isnt going to be nearly as CPU bound as a 896mb GTX 275 (particularly one running at 760core 1600shader and 2600mem like mine:)) so there will be more to be gained from overclocking your CPU in that case which explains the discrepency in Lavans benches vs Mine.

Same principle goes for 2 512mb HD 4870's in crossfire vs 2 GTX 275's in SLI.

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Try using the "Edit Post" function once in a while.

12. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Reported for purposely trying to provoke me.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol, I wasn't trying to provoke you I was making a reasonable request.

Trust me, if I was posting flame bait you would know...that doesn't even come close.

14. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Unless you have something to add related to the topic of this thread I would advise you to leave, this post is also reported for your harrassment.

After our last few clashes it doesnt take a rocket scientest to see what you are trying to do.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Are you guys done ?

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yes, I'm leaving...don't want to see another thread derailed....

17. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Allow me to lay it out for you so you can see how skewed your statements look.

1) You're claiming 59FPS in FarCry 2 at 1920x1080 with an OC'd Q9550 and an OC'd GTX275. Crisis' machine, with a 4GHz i7 and an OC'd GTX285 pulled 66FPS at 1680x1050 with the same graphic settings. Swinburne at bit-tech managed to pull 58FPS in FarCry 2 with a 4GHz i7 and a stock GTX280 at 1680x1050 with 0xAA.

2) You're claiming 75FPS in RE5 with 4xAA 1920x1080 with an OC'd GTX275 and your Q9550 at 3GHz. I pulled 72.9FPS at 1920x1080 4xAA with a moderately OC'd HD4870 512Mb and a stock Q9450

3) You're claiming 140FPS in FEAR at 16xAA with a 4GHz Q9550 and an OC'd GTX270. Both Hilbert, who used a 3.6GHz i7 965 and a GTX280, and myself pulled approximately 100FPS across the board with 4xAA.

4) You have not brought any external sources to back your word up. Instead, you have only brought your own benchmarks which can be considered questionable for many reasons. One of those reasons is because your results doesn't even remotely resemble the information already brought to the table.

5) Not only have you previously discredited Hilbert, who has been writing reviews for some time now, but the 3 other sources I have linked to and claimed them to have fubared their OC, while you somehow pulled these miraculous FPS gains practically out of nowhere with lesser hardware.

If the above facts does not indicate that something is skewed out of proportion or just simply wonked, then I don't know what is. Also, please don't quote any part of this message unless you bring factual evidence, beside your own, to back you up. And no, merely disregarding or discrediting the facts I have laid out does not qualify as factual evidence on your behalf.

Edit: I was typing my post while you messaged, Hilbert.
    Yes, I'm done with Robs. Unless of course he's willing to post some constructive information.

18. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    Yo Pill, your guru3d mailbox is full - just tried to reply to you message and got this: Pillmonster has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

lol

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I know what that msg is pm me if you wanna laugh:)

20. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    First of all there isnt a huge difference between a 4ghz Q9550 and a 4ghz i7 unless you are running dual GPU solutions then the i7 is noticably faster.

Second of all im not sure what the OC'd GTX 285 is running at but I can tell you right now that my GTX 275@760core 1600shader and 2600mem is probably just as fast if not faster than the GTX 285 used in that review.

3rd of all if I was to run this benchmark at 1680X1050 my fps would also be around 66fps as I noticed I lost 7fps on average when upgrading to my 23" LCD so that doesnt come as a suprise to me at all.

All I can say about this is that Swinburne needs to obviously go back to the drawing board because if he only scored 58fps in FC2 at 1680X1050 with no AA then something is really borked with his system or he was using an outdated driver.

Also are you not bright enough to realize the discrepency right here in your own comparison? I mean you have one guy with a Core I7 at 4ghz with a 285 scoring 66fps at 1680X1050 with 4XAA and yet you have another guy with nearly the same system pulling only 58fps at 1680X1050? with NO AA! lol. Oh nose! I guess that must mean that the Crisis' machine is one big fat lie! :bugeye:

Newsflash, some games preffer ATI and some Nvidia. Perhaps this is one of those games that run better on ATI hardware or perhaps its a driver issue or perhaps its a OS issue. Either way I have better things to do with my time than to make up stuff about benchmarks. I knew the minute that I shut you down and made you look like a moron in front of all these people that this would happen. You just cant accept the fact that you got :whip:

Then you both suck, plain and simple and I did pull those numbers off. Heck I did better than 100fps when I had my Q6600 and a GTX 260. I swear...im gonna have my friend video all of this with a camcorder and have it posted right here for all to see. Im sure you will still not be sastisfied though. :rolleyes:

Brother......I dont care how long Hilbert has been writing reviews, it certainly would not be the first time that I found a reviewer to write something that did not line up with real world performance and I have plenty of friends who are more than willing to back this fact up.

This is an invite to anyone living in or near the Charlotte NC area. I will let you come over to my house and show you first hand that my results are real and that Lavans is a complete and total tool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.