i7 Keep up With 285?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Keith Wing, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    OCing a CPU and moving to a platform with a different architecture are two entirely different things :wanker:

2. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    my i7 is running at 3.8 GHz @ 1.25V. Not had any problems so far, but not done any intensive testing.

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    oh really? i didnt know that (HUGE SARCASM). you and me both know know that i know that.

ok lets take the q9450 out of it (i just mentioned that because i used 9450 in my testing as well). you obviously need to be spoon fed the info here or cant read a bit between the lines.

so as you are trolling me now am done with u. when u blatantly take the piss am done with u lavans. seems like am arguing with someone whos very pedantic.

to finish :) your initial post..what did it mean? you clearly stated something along the lines of dont bother overclocking...you wont see much of a gain etc etc.

i went from 2.6gh to 3.8ghz and i love how my rig runs. it was fun to do and temps are great. other people am sure feel the same..if you want to tell people things like you must be carefull overclocking etc and it takes effort etc and money. fine. but dont put them off because there's no gain or its not worth. this am afraid is a crap attitude pure and simple.

THIS IS WRONG. sorry that you cant accept the fact u are giving wrong advice and i picked u up on it.

end of arguement for me.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Considering the fact that you're the only one of the lot that's over-glorifying what one can achieve with OC'ing, I hardly consider myself to be in the "wrong". I personally think you're suffering from a placebo effect :banana:

And BTW, I think you missed the fact that my rig is OC'd as well...AND I'm using two GPU's, which means that I have more to be gained by OC'ing than you do with your single card setup :flip:

One last thing, be sure to read some reviews and bring some results with you. It makes you look less ignorant ( no offense )
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/intel-core-i7-920-and-965-review/17
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2008/11/06/overclocking-intel-core-i7-920/6
    http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/nehalem_core_i7_review/25.html
    As you can clearly see for yourself ( or at least I hope you can ), OC'ing a CPU yields little benefits save for those games that are already CPU bound. Only when you throw a second GPU in the mix does OCing show any promising results in non CPU bound games.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-versus-i7,2360-5.html
    Gee, that sounds familiar...isn't that what everyone's been saying?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

5. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    There are plenty of CPU heavy games on the market right now that will easily gain 20fps from overclocking a cpu thats already at 3ghz to 4ghz. Lost Planet for one. You obviously do not have much experience in the overclocking field.

Then that is their fault for being careless with the cooling and vcore. I have been overclocking all of my components for years and yet I have never ever killed any of my components by doing so. All it takes is a little bit of common sense when overclocking and unfortunately these so called experienced Guru's that you speak of are lacking in that area.

Then you are either completely oblivious to FPS gains or your system is really jacked up because even my SLI system back in 2007 with 8800GTX's gained a ton of FPS when going from 2.8 ghz with my core 2 duo up to 3.6ghz. And that was 8800GTX's for crying out loud, now just imagine how bad that bottleneck would be with SLI 260's or 275's.

The ironic thing about all of this is that the game I was testing was Oblivion in the middle of the forest where most things are GPU bound, my FPS went up by 20 or more in this area alone and even more in the towns.

I am going to post some screens of some games at both 3ghz and 4ghz just to prove to everyone that you dont know what your talking about.

6. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Dont worry, he is about to eat those words.

7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Didn't I already say that CPU bound games will have a benefit? The fact that you're trying to put words in my mouth by implying that I stated no game will receive a significant benefit shows that you're not reading my posts.

Be my guest. Keep in mind, however, that I already brought 4 cited sources that verifies the exact point that most of the people here have been trying to get across.

8. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    FC2 3Ghz

[​IMG]

FC2 4Ghz

[​IMG]

Fear 1920X1080 in game options maxed out with forced 16XAA

3GHZ

[​IMG]

4GHZ

[​IMG]

RE5 Benchmark 1920X1080 DX10 Maxed out ingame settings with 4XAA 16XAF

3GHZ

[​IMG]

4GHZ

[​IMG]

More to come later.

9. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core

LOL, im not putting anything into your mouth, thats exactly what you said. Maybe your the one not reading your own posts.

:bugeye:

10. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Your sources and my own personal experience are definently clashing, I think I will go along with the hard evidence of what I am seeing with my own two eyes and then post that information right here on this forum for all to see.

Fact is you act like overclocking yields no benefits and this couldnt be further from the truth, overclocking helps tremendously accross the board regardless if the game is CPU bound or not.

Just go ahead and can keep on ignoring this very obvious fact and I will keep throwing evidence in your face that proves otherwise. :)

11. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    I've been a part of some of these types of arguments before in other threads. People saying my CPU is severily bottlenecking my SLI'ed 285's... Perhaps I am bottlenecked at 3.8GHz... My argument was 20fps more from 60fps to 80fps in whatever game is absolutely no reason to spend $1,000 to upgrade to a nice quad i7...

Certainly I would see that benchmarks show an increase - and certain game would seem smoother to a degree... But performance with my system is not really an issue. Going from 60fps to 80fps is not really mind blowingly better... Everything I play, including Crapsis plays just fine maxed out, so what is the point?

That said I have had an itch to upgrade to i7 for quite a while. But I just don't see a need.

Lastly, I have to agree mostly with Lavan... His points are valid and it seems his posts are getting picked apart... The last quote " would love to see any game get a 20 FPS boost by simply overclocking an already OC'd 3GHz CPU." - that last part, "...an already OC'd 3GHz CPU" - not a CPU running at 3GHz... Going from say 3.8GHz to 4.0GHz will not yeild a 20FPS net gain in any game. Unless it's completely and entirely CPU bound and 10 years old...

12. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    LOL! Robs, so you're trying to imply that at stock CPU speeds ( with yours being the faster of the two ), your GTX275 is as fast as my HD4870 512Mb?!

Stock
    [​IMG]
    OC'd
    [​IMG]

Also, it's already been established by Hilbert, whom is known to be more truthful and unbiased than you ever will, that FEAR does not have any CPU bottleneck passed 1280x1020

[​IMG]

Please, don't waste your time trying to BS a BS'er.

13. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I was waiting on someone to say this, however this isnt the point being made in this thread at all. Please dont try and derail the very reason that im posting my own personal benchmarks for all to see.

The point is that Lavans is basically stating that their is very little FPS gains from overclocking and im here to prove that wrong. The fact that a game is playable at 3ghz isnt the arguement of this thread at all.

I never stated anything about going from 3.8ghz to 4ghz, its obvious the gains would be very small. Lavans however stated that going from 3ghz to 4ghz was basically useless and that could not be further from the truth. And what is the difference between an already OC'd cpu running at 3ghz vs one running at 3ghz stock if they are of the same architecture? lol, im not sure what point it is your trying to make.

Bottom line overclocking is well worth it when a little common sense is used.

14. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core

If you think I would waste a couple of hours of my time producing benchmarks and then purposley skew the results (which I know your implying that I did) then it shows how much of a sore loser you really and truley are.

Again, I will trust my own results vs anyone elses, this wouldnt be the first time that I have seen the **cough cough** so called pro's not knowing what they are doing.

At any rate if anyone else here would like to see more results between 3ghz vs 4ghz just let me know and I will be glad to help.

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Actually, it's very easy to synthetically inflate or deflate results by merely increasing or decreasing AA levels. No one said anything about you "spending hours to skew the results". :flip:

I know what kind of person you are Robs. It shows like a blistering thumb by way of all the past arguments you've had on these forums that you're the kind of person that will BS his way to make it look like you're correct, even when you're not.

16. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    And BTW thanks Lavans for posting those RE5 benchmarks, it proves exactly what I said earlier about your system being seriously Jacked. LOL.

17. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I see you like playing semantics, too bad your gonna lose. Anyone with half a brain can see what you were insinuating by your remarks about your GPU vs Mine.

You lost, now take your beating like a man and leave the thread before your to crippled to do so.

18. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    So let me clarify what you're stating. I'm incorrect about CPU clock/performance, Hilbert is incorrect about CPU clock/performance, Swinburne is incorrect about CPU clock/performance, Henning is incorrect about CPU clock/performance, everyone else on this thread with an OC'd machine is incorrect about CPU clock/performance...while Mitzi ( who has not yet backed up his statements ) and you, the resident troll, are the only ones that are correct? While everyone else on this thread with an OC'd machine are stating the exact same thing that the above authors and myself are stating?

:funny::funny::funny::funny::funny::funny:

Yea, I think I'm done dealing with you. :flip:

19. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    although rob gts has come across as bit of a fanboy at times he does post some correct stuff..(no offence rob but true)

ofc as he is backing up what i say :) but look this whole argument should stop.

lavans was making a point i think that sometimes you dont see much of a fps gain and yes he could be right. but my point was he needent have made this come across as being negative and that was my whole gripe. dont put off the op where in fact he has no reason to be put off.

both arguements are right...but lavans i think you are now arguing a lost cause. as robogts has quite clearly shown the benefit to overclock is all there to be seen.

you also made a pretty obvious attempt to discredit me implying that i didnt know the diff between changing from a diff type of architecture.

a pretty cheap shot as most guru's know...

and u havent asked for any proof to me. so now u are implying i am bull****ting as well.

not very pleasant really. you know what i dont need to supply any info although i did a thread with pics in the nvidia drivers section. it clearly shows quite a significant increase in fps gains. i will continue to always go for the max oc i can do with cpu (short of stupid speeds) because i know the fps gain i can get

bottom line is quite simple here a 285 will benefit with a 920 @3.8ghz or so opposed to stock or even 3.0ghz.

SO WORTH OVERCLOCKING YES. any other arguement is completely and utterly wrong. the op has a corei7 and a 285 and so do I.

LAVANS : YOU DONT. so quit this bs.

20. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    With a few forged results that are contradicting what 3 cited sources are saying? :3eyes:

But yes, I agree. There's no reason not to OC, especially when you're thinking of it as a free upgrade with a 5%-10% boost in performance, granted the application benefits from the higher clocks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.