Mosquitoes

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Anubis, Jul 15, 2009.

1. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    A bat box, similar to a bird house, but for bats, is something I'd recommend....a bit jokingly though but I'm still half serious. They love mosquitoes! But then again I'm partial to bats. They freak some people out though.

On a more serious note, a trick I learned in survival school is to eat the head of a match. The sulfur enters your bloodstream and acts as a natural mosquito repellent. They may get near you but wont stick their thing into you. But by far the lemon juice is a pretty cool idea.

2. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    HOLY CRAP! You serious?

3. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Absolutely. Tastes like a small chunk of dirt, but it works well. I do it while camping too. It was always a good trick while I was in the military when we went into the woods and such. One little MRE trick so to say. By the way, the amount of sulfur is very very small, but just enough to be sensed by insects and keeps you pretty safe from most bites from flying insects.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Ugh, those things are so damn irritating. I especially hate the ones that squish into a huge human blood pile when you smash them.

5. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

Ok if you have a business such as that cemetery which is pretty much a breeding ground for them and you can prove it you can contact your local city/county and let them know. They will force the owners to spray the property cause they are causing a issue with surrounding homes and stuff..including the "Living people". I'm being serious here... spraying around your home will help but till you get the others around you to take care of what they have that is allowing them to breed and grow then your fighting a losing battle.

6. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    No Offense to you but that's a very dumb idea...Its nothing more than a Myth and In fact, depending on the type of matches, some of them contain dangerous chemicals and can be very harmful to your body. They contain sulpher, sand, ground glass, red phosphorus, and sometimes even white phosphorus which is extremely poisonous.

7. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Not to be argumentative, it is nothing of a myth, it is indeed fact. You should try it yourself. I am not classifying "fact" based on my experiences, btw. I'm saying fact, because well, it simply is. I've done the research after being taught the trick in a United States Army training center. So, with that.....let the thread continue. Thank you. :)

8. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hmm, Google brings back mixed opinions...

He seems to 'The Expert'

http://www.backpacker.com/community/ask_buck/14

9. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Well I won't sit here and let you tell people to do something that will harm them..that would be like me letting friends drink and drive which yes not to be argumentative but I wouldn't be a good guru/friend to everyone here to not object about this. The facts are its not good for you and may cause you major issues...do the research and ask a doctor I'm sure you will see that your United States Army Training Center trick is wrong. And your welcome :)

10. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    White tipped matches are bad for you as is any match. But it is a SURVIVAL (remember me saying I learned it in Survival School???????) tactic and one that works. Quite well. However, I was not telling anyone to do it. It was an off-hand suggestion and one borne of my seeming here, sense of humour. I mean, c'mon, man! Get a little real here.

Sir, while I still have respect for you and think you're a decent guy, I think you are just looking to have an argument. I WILL NOT entertain that.

Other forum members, I want to take the opportunity to apologize for these folks behaviour on the forums. As we all know, some people claim to be experts (I am not one of them) with little backround what so ever except search engines. Unfortunately arguments get started and a nice thread easily goes awry. There is a thread concerning this that is active now. I also want to apologize for my own involvement.

So, with that said, the discussion is over. Let the thread continue as titled and errant discussion ignored.

11. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Its not big deal dude and that's fine... respect is ok but survival or not it was a bad suggestion and one that flaunts a health issue. A sense of humor is good and all too but in this case I would suggest anyone exploring this idea including yourself or those that even suggested it to you to consult a doctor and for that matter even the internet will show its a myth and a bad idea. Just a quick discussion with a Army vet of over 20years disclosed this myth real quick along with them passing out a bottle of repellent with a high concentrate of DEET which about the same in Sportsmans Off you can get at walmart.

No harm no foul... I'm by no means an expert either nor did I claim to be or I'd be doing something different than my current line of work... the only intentions I had was to give well informed and safe methods of what the poster asked for.

12. DonDany21

DonDany21 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OC2 1GB
    Use a flame thrower muhaha :D

13. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    I almost pissed myself now...
    siting behind the comp, I was just decoding a movie..
    Looked thru the case window how dusty it is..
    When I looked at the bottom, shock of my life..

a 1cm pile of dead mosquitoes over the whole bottom of the comp :D
    Guess they've been attracted by the UV cathode, and failed the fight with the fans :D

14. mrkrinkle

mrkrinkle Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA gtx 580
  15. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970

16. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Im gonna call bull****. What kind of survival move is that? to eat your last match? Also if you are in any situation like that, you put up with the bloody things lol

just use fire and lots of it :p

17. Anubis

Anubis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 760 4GB
    hahaha!!! that's so awesome..
    It'll shoot the male mosquitoes balls, to make them impotent :D

18. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    i hate them so much, i wish i could shrink myself, grow wings, and fly around with a uzi and go on a killing spree.

19. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    when i was having dinner with my parents last night, i was telling the bastards didnt get me this year yet.

what a fecking night!! hardly any sleep, constant bzzz bzzz bzzz

20. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Haha, if im trying to get to sleep and I hear one buzz near me I'm straight up, lights on hunting the little **** til it's dead, or no sleep :wanker: