i7 Keep up With 285?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Keith Wing, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    You're going to be fine in 99% of games. The only ones that I could conceive of receiving a benefit would be something like Supreme Commander which, to this day, will use as much CPU horsepower that you can feed it.

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i dont know what the issue here is to be honest. there is nothing at all counter-productive in rebuilding a pc maybe spending some cash on a new cooler and some fans and overclocking it.

i cant see the dilemma. if the op doesnt want to fine if he doesnt want to spend the money fine but i think we all know you will get an improvement to your games by overclocking esp with the higher end cards.

anyways this is splitting hairs really. i felt i had to disagree with the dont bother attitude..

quite simple if u want more performance oc your 920 if u cant be assed. dont.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  3. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I think overclocking is fun and the performance benefits are just the icing on the cake.

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    yep! come on keith we want to help u oc that 920!! thats part of the fun...plus its a good chance to clean the pc and make sure those cables are as tight as a x x x x x x' x x x x x x x (guess the answer...free 8600 who does...serious)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

5. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Hence the reason for stress testing :D Seriously like 2 days of it.

6. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Mmmm all these people saying you have to OC i7 to 3.6 or 3.8 ghz for Xfire or SLI are wrong.

I OC'd mine to 3.6ghz, and saw nothing FPS wise from 3.2ghz. All I saw was higher temps.

From my experiences 3.2 - 3.4 ghz is fine for xfire and SLI.

7. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Interesting article here. It clearly shows that overclocking does impact game performance.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTY0NCwxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

8. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Still doesn't mean much, some games tend to rely on cpu more while other will rely on the gfx card more.

Though I do agree with this being an enthousiast site and telling someone to OC is quite normal around here :p

9. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I can tell you right now that its worth overclocking your CPU, it will help your min fps in a big way.

I game at 1080P myself which is close to your resolution and despite using plenty of AA and AF there is a big increase in my frame rates when compared to running my CPU at stock vs 4ghz.

10. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    Couldnt be further from the truth, I have a large number of games and noticed a healthy increase in all of them from overclocking the CPU.

Yes some games will benefit more than others particularly games such as Ghost busters, GTA4, UE3 engine based games, Lost Planet, DiRT, Mass effect.....Just to name a few.

11. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    It's all dependent on the resolution that you play at. The vast majority of demanding games are GPU-limited.

12. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    I game at 1920X1080 with AA and AF, despite these settings overclocking my CPU made a noticable difference in the framerates of my games, most of all it helps a lot in the min FPS department.

13. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    I run at 1900x1200 with as much AF and AA possible and you can see my rig's specs. I've been running at 4.0Ghz+ since Day One of this rig so I can't give you any personal empirical assessments.

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    +1
    Aside from GTA4 and Empire: Total War, I have yet to notice any real gain in performance between 2.66GHz and 3.4GHz at 1920x1080. Once you start going over 1280x1024 is when you start getting away from the CPU bound areas of gaming.

15. RobsGTS

RobsGTS Banned

GPU:
    BFG GTX 275 760mhz Core
    You will not notice much difference in the average FPS but im telling you right now that it helps big time in the min FPS department regardless of the game your playing.

I have gone back and forth from stock to overclock in various games when testing the min FPS and the overclock always had a big impact in this area.

16. meds

meds Guest

GPU:
    @ 4GHZ or greater your penis becomes larger ;)

17. Bentez

Bentez Guest

GPU:
    Palit GR RTX 3080
    +1

very true

18. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    I agree, overclocking i7 does not do much for average fps, but minimum fps (thats what counts most for smooth gaming experience) gets nice boost. I have tested that with 3 GTX 295s, 2 GTX 260 C216 SSC cards.

19. Lamprey

Lamprey Member

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Depends really, try Arma II. Lol, even at 4.4ghz, ht off, my cpu usage was at 95-100% and it began to stutter. Mind you, this only happened in the last mission, "Dogs of War". Literally the whole map is crawling with AI. Game is in a very poor state atm as well.

20. jonathen85

jonathen85 Active Member

GPU:
    Inno3d nvidia GTX 275
    i was thinking of getting an i7 and gtx275. Is it worth getting a higher version to make good use of the cpu? And when it comes to overclocking, do you guys leave your CPu overclocked the whole time or is it better to put it to default when you don't plan on using it intensively?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.