sick and tired of my country ... where should i go to ?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by [ R ], Jul 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh no, 2 feet! :p Did your schools close then? Although, snow doesn't have much to do with cold. It can easily snow when it's +2c outside.
    I know you guys get alot of rain though. It rained alot when I was there too.

Anyway, point being, if you come from a really warm country, you might want to consider the climate in the country you wanna move to. I know alot of immigrants have issues with the cold here, but they usally get used to it after a while I guess.

2. JxL

JxL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMR FirePro Dual D500
    2ft? lol I think you are exaggerating a bit ;) From what I remember it snowed for a few minutes (melted rather quickly), motorways got closed down and people who cant drive crashed their cars :nerd:

3. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Lots of things aren't in our Bill of Rights. So what? That's not the issue here.

Canadian universal healthcare may suck, but not having universal healthcare sucks so much more. God forbid you aren't covered by your insurance for a hospital. In college, I got radically sick. Worst sickness I had. Problem was, our health insurance didn't cover the college hospital (like some damned cell phone reception range). We got charged over $400.

My friend smashed his finger while lifting, and needed stitches. Same issue with insurance coverage: $1200+.

Universal healthcare hopefully will come to the U.S.

Anyways, I again emphasize the U.S. Most of the racism will be found in the South, whether they want to admit it down there or not. It's a whole different place from the North - I've visited there many times, and have many family and friends who live in the South. The criminalization of slavery and the ensuing destruction left upon the South by the American Civil War really left its mark - the South's economy has been far worse off since.

The northeast coast tends to be the most open-minded and tolerant, minus a few states here and there. California is also amazing. I live in Ohio, where the division is pretty much like the U.S. itself - the North is better off, and is more educated/tolerant, than the South.

Go to a city with a decently-known public college, and you're good to go - our college cities in the U.S. are the most open-minded/liberal, and most tolerant of other races/religions/etc.

That being said, my relatives live in a large city in Texas, and a close family friend lives in Atlanta, Georgia - both face much racism. My family and friends (and my immediate family) in the North face virtually none.

And I'm American, so I'm obligated to hate on Canada and poke fun at them, but I have to admit that moving to Canada is not a bad choice. BUT, Canada is supposed to be one of the worst places for technology addicts - read up on that online somewhere. Not to mention the weather sucks - I hate cold weather with a passion (sadly I'm in Ohio, and for half of the year, the weather sucks massively here).

As for having a mix of lots of cultures - America is one of your best bets. The entire country is immigrants, as there is no American race. The closest thing to an American race is Native Americans, and they came from Asia through the Bering Strait.

- PR-0927

4. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    @PR-0927 - Universal Health Care is not a good idea and will not solve the problems you mentioned. In fact that will most likely make it worse. But I would like to see some things done (either laws/regulation, or some kind of insentives to insurance or healthcare providers)... Making another big huge beaurocracy is just such a failed idea. It may work ok in some other countries, but not the US... Not our governement, not with how corrupt they all are... No way it would work.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009

5. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Nope, I don't want to turn this into a political debate, so I'll keep my statement concise - it is a good idea. The U.S. is actually one of the least corrupt nations - possibly one of the most transparent. You have no idea what corruption is until you've seen China, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, or any African nation. Our private healthcare providers are the corrupt ones, taking advantage of the system and manipulating it to maximize profits and do very little for their customers. I believe in big government, and have no trust in corporations whatsoever. They exist for profits, and profits alone. I don't care what you say - a private healthcare provider should not be able to charge $75 for a cotton swab. That's just stupid.

- PR-0927

6. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    PR-0927 is right about the racism down here, but left out the why. It's the bad people on both sides of the coin; they're radically different than anything you've got going on up north, partly because of the low income. But that's racism between whites/blacks and to a lesser extent, hispanics. Ever seen any extremely thuggish rap videos? Yeah...EVERYWHERE you look down here, and I'm not just talking about blacks. It's so bad that I absolutely loathe going into a Walmart or anything like that.

I've know a few Indians and Middle Eastern folks...they've all been incredibly nice and respectful toward other people.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I know what you're getting at - when I lived in the US I traveled a lot (lived in IN though) and saw it myself.
    There is a marked difference between the North & South in the way you mean.

I never had a problem with health insurance though, it was always subsidized by my employer.

8. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Guest

GPU:
    Asus TUF 6800XT
    The Isle of Man is a great place to live, all different religions here and not much in the way of violence or crime. Smaller than you would be used to of course, but i think living here is fantastic.

9. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Where the hell is it?:3eyes:

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Uk between Eire and england. ;)

11. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ...My old school closed once because a teacher slipped on a frozen puddle!

We don't seen snow to close our schools thank you very much! :p

12. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Not read this thread apart from the OP, but don't go to the USA, I spent the last 3 weeks there and god that country is a **** hole, I wouldn't want to live there even if I was offered a free house.

13. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Oh boy. Now you done it..

14. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    ha, that sounds like something they would do here where I live. It almost never snows here but when it does, no one knows what to do.

To the OP I say best of luck to you where ever you decide to go, sometimes a complete change of environment is what's needed.

It smells a WHOLE lot better now that your gone! Bye :)

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The question is WHERE in the US? I spent a summer in Orlando Florida when I was a kid and I loved it there. Nice calm warm weather every day during that summer... not to mention some plants aside from maple trees which are pretty much the only thing I ever see in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

16. neurokrem-rs

neurokrem-rs Banned

GPU:
    XFX 8800 now "Ultra"
    Did you know you used term "crockodile tears" as a missnomen?
    Crockodile tears syndrome is an illnes wich happens when you damage branch of your facial nerve that enables crying form the lacrimal gland,near eye.Because this nerve also enables production of saliva,during recovering,some nervous fibers instead of going to the salival glands miss and go to lacrimal gland.These people, whenever they get hungry,besides drooling start to cry!That is why it is called "Crockodile tears sy".
    Well i respect your right to choose.
    But,do you know how much i have to pay every month for healthcare?Nothing.In fact ministry of healthcare pays me.Im a doctor!:)

17. ShadowWolf555

ShadowWolf555 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX770 Gaming 2GB OC
    Whatever place you choose, don't come to Portugal.

Everything is falling apart here. Economy, politics, security, etc.

18. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Because all these guys are american
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

People in glass houses. . . .

[​IMG]

By your measure, serbs are genocidal maniacs who kill anyone who isn't the same race.
    Go troll elsewhere.

OP, with certian law degrees you can take an LLM course (2 years) and then take the bar here.
    Note that law in the US is a doctorial degree (4 years undergrad then 3 years of law school).
    Getting a student visa here is much easier than any other visa. Once you have a US law degree, staying in the country isn't that hard. My alma mater, university of minnesota has a large international community. Minnesota is extremely tolerant of muslims (our congressman is muslim). Hell, last year one of the LLM students was a prosecutor from Iraq.
    Regardless of what others might say, the US is a very diverse, accepting nation. We are a nation of immigrants. Outside of certain southern states you'll have no problems at all, even in those areas you should have no real issues except for certain rural issues. Plus everyone will assume you're Indian and won't think "terrorist".
    Minensota is a pretty peaceful place. Minnesota nice is somewhat real.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  20. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    I'm no USA, USA, USA! guy.
    But dammit, when we're being attacked for bombing people because we don't like your ideas and your country has done THAT less than 14 years ago. . . .

Hey, I'm visiting New Zealand this sept, looks ****ing awesome!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.