The GAMEPAD or NOT POLL

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mr.Bigtime, Jun 16, 2009.

?

Do you use a gamepad for your PC games?

1. I exclusively use a gamepad for my PC games.

45 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. I use a gamepad in a few selected games.

74 vote(s)
    56.9%
  3. I never use a gamepad for any PC game.

11 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Are you telling me that you prefer to play racing/sports games, Tomb Raider/third-person games and stuff like Grand Theft Auto IV with a keyboard and mouse?

/shudders

Seriously, a keyboard and mouse is suited to RPGs, MMORPGs, RTSs and (obviously) FPSs but everything else is best played with a controller in my opinion. Keyboard movement is digital, either on or off, so you don't get the same gradual walking to running speed that you get from using an analogue stick. This makes ideally them ideally suited to third-person games, especially those with stealth elements.

I suppose if you don't play or aren't interested in any of the games in my first paragraph then the mouse and keyboard would be perfectly fine but I really don't see how anyone can play and, more importantly, enjoy every genre of game *without* a controller. Maybe that's because I play games on both consoles and the PC that I can appreciate the benefits of using both methods of controls but I can definitely remember how my first PC controller totally transformed gaming on my very first PC way back in 1998. The game was Need for Speed 3 and it was horrible to play with the keyboard. Since then I've never had any desire to play racing games with a keyboard.

2. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I like em for race games... but that's where it ends :p

3. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    This ^^ is my feeling exactly. I won't buy any FPS on a console.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    practice makes perfect. my mom sucks at gamepads too but you actually have to use them and gain some thumb/eye coordination. i do headshots with gamepads just fine and seen plenty others online console games like warhawk and gta4 in ps3 do some fast paced accurate shots like it was UT3 or something.
    but depending on sensitivity level set, they can be slower turning around much like a mouse can be if set to low sensitivity. but then again years of use with the PS1 dual shock/N64 analogue/dreamcast..etc helps too i guess.

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    There is one big flaw with a keyboard. And that is movement. If you have to control the WASD keys then that hand is no longer conveniently available for other keys.

If you use a Saitek PGCU, Nostromo 52TE or Logitech G13 then you'll use your thumb to control movement instead. And that leaves your fingers free to conveniently reach the rest of the keys.

Of course you still have a hand free to control your mouse.

No gamepad or keyboard can beat that.

But this discussion is going in the same direction as all the others I have seen about the subject. Keyboard fans just defend their opinion and nobody is willing to try out something new. That's too bad.

Edit: I wasn't able to vote in this poll. An option like "other gaming device" was not available. ;)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    nobody talks about health issues..putting ur hands to mouse and keyboard and on to desk, it hurts my wrists after a time....but gamepad? its freedom of wrists!

7. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    are you sure the desk is big enough ?
    i have to lean my elbows on the desk otherwise i get pain in the wrists as well.
    need atleast 95 cm :)

8. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    This again, besides the only game I'm getting on a console is GT5 which is somewhere.. That said if it comes on PC you can forget it (rumored).

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    does anybody know if the pc supports the analogue bottons of the ps3 joypad ?

10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Have even got it working in windows? I would've thought you could if you got it working to start with.

11. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    im sure you can have it working, but i really doubt if the analogue pressured buttons work. its either off or on. but im not sure.

12. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    i remember playing painkiller on a xbox i think it was horrid, where as the pc one with the mouse and keyboard is ftw

13. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Only for emulation of older systems. Nothing beats the Mouse/Keyboard, period.

14. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    wtf are you talking about? Your hand is right on the keyboard, so it's actually more convenient.

It's even more convenient if you use ESDF instead of the crappy WASD. Your hands will be right on the home keys for when you need to type. You also have more keys to use on the left for your pinky.

15. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    You voted no, but you use a gamepad on games that need them. That was one of the options....

@ Mr Bigtime. Mass Effect definitely supports a gamepad. FYI. I use my 360 controller with it.

16. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I hate gamepads personally, but will condone the use of the n52TE...makes life a little easier for a lot of games.

Psychlone

17. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    NO, that wasn't an option, and since I prefer a mouse, I voted no. Re-read the poll man.

The "yes" option was for games that "support" them. Some FPS and third person games support them, yet I use a keyboard/mouse. I even use keyboard/mouse for Assassin's Creed.

Besides, the poll was retardedly skewed and poorly worded (sorry Mr. Bigtime). Technically, because of the way it's worded, if all I played were FPS games with a keyboard/mouse, and the occasional emulated game with a gamepad, I'd still have to vote yes to gamepads, because I used a gamepad on a PC.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    future evolutions of motion tracking may put an end to the debate. they say theoretically you could have much better precision using gestures with your hands and fingers as apposed to using them to press buttons but time will tell.

anyone seen that device you strap to your head that you can think about moving and it does? i read a review that it works but takes practice.

19. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    "Depends on the game" should have been an option.

20. lightzout

lightzout New Member

GPU:
    8800 GTS 640
    PC gamer w/360 controller

I bought an extra 360 contoller with the cord mostly because it was cheaper and there was no wireless 360 option for the PC at the time. As much I love my mouse and kb it would be nice if any games really supported the 360 pad on the pc. In all the yyears I have had it not one ever worked well enough to bother using it. I basically gave up until the other day when I installer a new usb2.0 hub on my mobo and I attached he 360 to test it out. Later on I installed Fallout 3 and as I was begining to play the game a little ABXY menu came up and i graped the gamepad. Well not so shocking I suppose but the gamepad plays Fallout3 flawlessly. Its not as easy to be precise aiming but since you can pause and choose where to aim its not an issue. This is the first time I have used my 360 pad wiith the PC and had fun. Any other games that work this well with it?