Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    dont get the wrong idea , Its not what u think

Its less complex than Americas Army.....

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I read on youtube last night that his "1500" AI vid was for the most part just a huge Tank battle..

So the 1500 part of it was BS, and he hyped up just to get views probably.....

I think his system is an nF4 that wouldn't be able to run that many Bots tbh..

Even so, I liked the atmosphere in the video. The ambient effects have been done really well I think.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hi mate - are you a dev?

Will the HDR bug be fixed in the demo?

5. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
  6. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    How was it BS???

THere IS 1500 AI....

Even if they are in a Tank....The cpu still has to process the AI.....

its is 100% Real dude...and i dont know why u think other wise :S

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Maybe but I'm not convinced. The cpu doesn't have to draw all the bots for example.

I don't know much about coding and programming, but I know that the CPU he had couldn't run 1500 bots

Hell have you ever tried to play a single player round of PR, or BF2? With more than 100 bots it starts to become a slideshow.......even when only half that number are visible...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There are test maps for the game which has about 500 AI or so fighting over a large island and that was no problem to handle, 1500 should be doable as well (But a bit choppy.) and even if they're in tanks or helicopters they still need to be processed individually. :)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5865

A helicopter for example has one pilot and one gunner so both need to be handled by the CPU, tanks have one pilot one gunner and one commander so all three need to be handled by the CPU, same goes for a APC or truck fully loaded with soldiers as they are individually handled and processed.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I'm just having a dream right now. It's a beautiful dream, one where 500 bots suddenly turn into real online players. And I'm there...at 10ms ping.

Please don't wake me up.

But srsly I hope you guys are right, cause that would make foe some mean SP missions....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  10. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    You do know Even though the AI are in a chopper or a tank...

They can get out at ANY time..

Its not like the Tank is 1 AI......It has AI controlling it ...Men...people...they can get out and walk..

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Now that you mention it I don't play online that often so I don't really know what the max amount of actual players are but I guess it's the usual 32 or perhaps 64 limit, that said some games have had a 128 or even 256 player limit though for the latter I only remember Joint Operations using support for this many players.
    (That said if it was possible then 128 players in this game doing battle with a AI force of a few hundred units is probably going to cause a bit of lag due to bandwith and network related issues, hehe.)

12. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Nah, not a dev but a OpF vet from day 1. :)

Dunno about the HDR bug (is there one?) fixed or not, but BIS said they are working on AI line of sight blocked by grass, AI accuracy and generally more FPS during large missions.

13. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Irrc the maximum amount of players on a server was said to be just depending on the hardware (+internet connection).

Played several rounds on a german server that has a maximum player limit of 64 people. No performance issues even when playing a coop map, which means 64 real persons + a ton of AI enemys. From a post by one of the server admins it took them some time to tweak the server config right but they also mentioned that future patches should also improve the server performance.

14. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    That is what I heard as well, I think "50+" human players was their official statement for most setups, but I would think quite a few more would be possible.

15. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    ive played a 128 Test Server.

Ran fine, Cept my computer was older than it is now so the fps wasnt that good

16. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    Excellent news if a demo is coming out- I have wanted to try out this game for a while....

17. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    English Review!

"Awesome moments. This is real war. Give the AI a medal! The campaign - absolutely incredible! So atmospheric. Landscape almost real. I killed a rabbit! Thank you so much BIS. Heaps of bugs. Buy this game.

8/10"

18. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
  19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting results, not completely in line with what I get as performance is around 30 most of the time but perhaps that scene is really processor demanding or something, game does use threading and multiple cores so a i7 would of course be faster, especially if clocked up a bit and paired with good RAM and FSB speeds to avoid limiting anything.
    (Some HDD activity will also be present as PBO files are accessed but I don't know what that'll do for performance, obviously a decent GPU will also be needed in order to increase the settings a bit.)

EDIT: Placed a bunch of different troops and vehicles (manned) from various factions in and around a random town in the "Chernarus" area via the editor, that was a bit more noticeable and things really bogged down once they started moving and doing stuff, guess the AI routines can be quite demanding once a lot is going on. :)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009
  20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow, only 5 FPS difference between the X2 7850 and the X4 955.

Seems core speed is a dominant factor here....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2009