Best Driver for Prototype

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mersonix, Jun 12, 2009.

1. Mersonix

Mersonix Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 550m
    So i got Prototype today and i'm a little perplexed by my performance.

I get around 35fps average on max settings with no AA @ 1680x1050.

Any ideas why?

I'm using the most recent WHQL driver. The game is playable, i'd just love to have AA and get the 60fps i love.

is this normal?

thoughts?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Well, I've managed to find 3 completely different lists for the minimum specs to play Prototype. Try overclocking that 8800GT and see what your framerates do...

3. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000

Game will utilize all 4 cores on a quad. you only got a dual core. might be a cpu limit? i've seen other's with dual cores post similar fps.

4. BigMyke

BigMyke Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SC SLI
    most importantly, when are we gonna get a driver to support SLI for prototype?

5. Andyr

Andyr Active Member

GPU:
    2x NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT
    Well,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but since the 186.08 drivers, Prototype has an SLI profile available for it, but you may have to change the .exe associated with it depending on your geographic location.

Here is the default profile as shipped with the driver:

Code:
    <PROFILE Label="Prototype">
        <APPLICATION Label="prototype.exe"/>
        <PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="0x42400005" Default="0x42400005" Itemtype="predefined"/>
    </PROFILE>
    Here is the changed profile, which I have to use as the .exe file as per the above profile does not reflect the actual .exe for the UK/European release:

Code:
    <PROFILE Label="Prototype">
        <APPLICATION Label="prototypef.exe"/>
        <PROPERTY Label="multichip_rendering_mode" Value="0x42400005" Default="0x42400005" Itemtype="predefined"/>
    </PROFILE>
    Hope this helps.

6. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    I also have crap perfs with Core 2 Quad + 8800GT SLI (1920x1080 full details AAx2). From 30 to 60fps, but it goes up and down every time for no reason, it's very annoying.

My game uses prototypef.exe, so I guess I have to modify my profile as Andyr said. But where is that file? lol Where do I go to customize my profiles plz?

7. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    there is no good drivers for prototype.

alot of people with high end rigs are having fps issues.

i wound up fixing my fps issues from 25-30 to a steady 60fps by disabling SLI. 186 does have a profile for proto but its useless.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm using the 186.08 beta drivers with Prototype with 16X AF and Transparency Supersampling forced in the control panel. In-game I'm using High settings at 1680x1050 with 4X AA, that's with V-Sync and triple buffering by the way.

The framerate seems to vary between 45 fps (during intense missions) to, typically, 60 fps during the free-roaming bits. I haven't seen the framerate drop below 45 fps during gameplay yet. That said, the game isn't 100% smooth, there are some intermittent jerks when panning the camera around on top of the buildings, odd because the framerate count shows as 60 fps! Generally though the game plays smoothly and I had no issues whatsoever in the three hours I played it last night.

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Your easiest option is to install nHancer v2.5.1 and then add the PrototypeF.exe executable from the game folder to the existing Prototype profile, which comes with the 186.08 beta drivers. I find the NVIDIA profiles clumsy to edit from the control panel personally so I tend to use nHancer for that.

10. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    do you keep vsync on? maybe thats why its dropping between 60 and 30... even if you get 59 fps it drops to 30 with double buffered vsync

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    still nobody says that game is a bad port..is it? i dont know..but i keep readin that people have performance issues.

12. Mersonix

Mersonix Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GT 550m
    It's not a bad port-

it's pretty much equal to the console folks

that version has some issues too apparently.

13. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Yes I always have V-Sync and TripleBuffer activated. I have fraps running and it's not dropping from 60 to 30, it's just moving from 60 to 50 then 45 and even 30 during heavy battles. I can't play any game without v-sync, otherwise the screen is like splitted in half when I move quickly from left to right, it's annoying.

Now that I'm back from my work I'll try to install nHancer, then I'll try to desactivate v-sync and finally desactivate SLI. Let's go!

14. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    yeah i was just making sure you were using d3d overider and not just v-sync in game :)

i can't play single player without vsync either. hate the tearing. good luck.

15. Apocalypse81

Apocalypse81 New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 gt 512
    hi there if its any help im using 182.08 drivers and have got everything up full and have got great frame doesnt stutter or anything

ye can see my specs

cheers

16. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I dont know if its the drivers or a "bad port", but on xbox360 the game has a rock solid stable framerate. On my core i7 system with tripple xfire, the game has 60fps but as some have said it drops down in some situations, for an example when you fly the heli fast from A to B, it seems the game does not use streaming as when you come to a new location it has a quick 1second load time (no loading screen). But other than that, the game runs fine actually. And if I dont use fraps to keep check on the FPS I hardly notice any framedrops. But the small performance issues people are having, I dont think they are "performance issues", but more game bug/bad port/bad streaming engine/or some other stupid reason they happen. Because if a 360 can run this game with same IQ as PC, but with a perfect framerate. Then there is something wrong with the code on the pc version, IMHO.

Ps. Love that this game barely uses any ram, maybe why the loading issue happens sometimes?? Memory thrashing?? When playing the game, only some 30% of my 6gb is used totally. Often around 40-50% with other games, Vista x64.

Pps. Too bad this game isnt more tweakable, maybe someone knows where this game has its config and would tell us how to tweak it for further performance gains? :)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  17. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    The game is a bad port when it comes to play it with mouse+keyboard, camera jitters and stutters, cause of this lame port..

btw using 186.08 no problems with low fps, all maxed..

18. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    nothing wrong with keyboard mouse controls at all tbh.
    must be just you then.
    altough there some issues that really need be fixed.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well man the 8800GT is a bit dated for games of today. I wouldn't really say you have a problem, FPS sounds about right. Nvidia/ATI doesn't really keep older cards as optimized as some may think.

20. p3ps1c0la

p3ps1c0la Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 480 8gb
    I'm using latest officials. Works fine.

Only prob I have with the game is the mouse response even after tweeking in the options it's sometimes slow to respond or doesn't respond at all when I try to look up and down.

Game play is smooth. All settings maxed at 1680. Max AA ingame. Not a very interesting game for me. But I knew that from watching the game trailer.