The Prototype thread

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by eRa`, Mar 23, 2008.

1. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    All I know is my bro told he he read there was a frame cap after the game didn't run very smoothly on his PC. I would ask him where he read it but I honestly have no idea where he's gone off to.. :banana:

2. acer

acer Banned

GPU:
    evga 9800gtx
    some of the missions are irritating, but damn, there is always something there that say "c'mon, play a little longer". Its truly the freedom to do ****, and I love it.

3. Huh, does someone know of a another game using the same engine as "Prototype", so we can see if renaming the .exe will utilize a catalyst profile? (I'm using Cat 9.6 & Crossfire doesn't have an effect). I'm running 3 high-end video cards and the game is still hardly using a percentage of one gpu out of my 3 (this engine is definetely cpu-stuck). Ah well my cpu is getting me at 40fps-60fps constant with vsync, all settings maxed, and no AA. Hopefully renaming the game launch executable to another game with the same engine and an ATI profile will utilize the gpu.....(I mean for heaven's sake I get a constant 60fps on COD4 with all settings maxed and 4xAA, and it looks way better than "Prototype", this game needs a scaling patch or an ATI profile methinks).

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    You can rename it to anything but some EXE names (Or rather the profiles that gets loaded then.) work better for certain games or perhaps the game engine utilizied by a specific title, as you said. :)

Crossfire and SLI scaling also depend on other factors and some game engines don't really scale well or support SLI/Crossfire much at all.

5. Okay, but I'm wondering are there any other games that have the same engine that also have an ATI profile? So I can rename the launch executable ie (.exe) to a different name that will trigger a crossfire profile? Do you have any ideas of any other game launch executables that would do that?

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Oh I understand what you meant but perhaps I should have clarified or explained it a bit better, as for the game engine I'm pretty sure this is a new one that's been made for this game though as it's a Activision title perhaps it's somewhat based on their Spiderman engine as it's a similar concept?
    (Open city environment, tons of pedestrians and such that populates it.)

Though I would still say that it's a new engine so finding a similar title isn't possible, even less so finding a similar title that scales well to Crossire and SLI.
    (I guess there wouldn't be much of a difference disabling Catalyst AI - and thus reverting to a single GPU setup for Crossfire mode, particularly for X2 cards - and having it enabled either advanced or standard setting.)

Pushing ATI Catalyst AI to advanced tries to force AFR (Alternate frame rendering) however which might help performance though at most it won't be more than a couple of frames worth a difference or how you say it as the engine seems heavily CPU bound which limits GPU performance.
    (Similar to GTA IV which also doesn't scale well albeit it can take a bit of a advantage of a second GPU but it won't make a big difference as far as performance is concerned.)

(You probably know this though.)

EDIT: As for 9.5 / 9.6 there might be a basic profile for the game in 9.6 but for any bigger changes as the game just came out and the final drivers are expected next week I guess 9.7 is more realistic in terms of any improvements but I still don't think it would make much of a difference as the game seems to be primarily CPU bound (From what I've read.) and the graphics renderer isn't that advanced so a single GPU, assuming it's somewhat recent, handles it just fine.
    (Using NVIDIA as a example, due to their The way it's meant to be played program and beta drivers to accelerate specific titles, going from a 9800 GPU to a 260 or perhaps even 280 GPU won't see as much of a performance increase as going from say a 2.x Ghz CPU to a 3.x Ghz CPU, more so if it's multi core versus single core although I don't know how well the engine scales past two cores so Phenom/C2D quad or a i7 with threading capabilities might not make a big change.)

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  7. Interesting, thanks for the reply :)

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Right, that would explain why I'm getting 60 fps most of the time while playing the game then with V-Sync enabled!

9. morfeus02

morfeus02 Guest

GPU:
    GOOD
    the fps are not capped

i think it's some kind of drivers issue, probably a hotfix will be released for that

the game is using 75% of all my 4 cores and that's good i think

smoke effects are really great

10. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i have above 40 fps constant with all max but no AF but 4xAA 1680*`050..game is a JOKE, how they give this above 7.5? did u notice the m16 rifle textures? or model? GOD! the PC version is ugly as xbox360 version....and again u can see same GUY model with same suit(exactly same guy in short meaning) next to each other in the street..a very cheap looking cheap game...4.0 out of 10! thank god i didnt pay for this!

11. rayzorz

rayzorz Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680
    Yeah, cause graphics makes the game.^^

12. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    It's one of the best games i've bought since 04, doesn't say a lot for all the graphical powerhouses that i've bought.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    :p. ok u got me. most of the time i shout about GAMEPLAY is more important than VISUALS..yes . i believe that too..but also animations and ..ahh forget it man..my comments r EXACTLY SUBJECTIVE and far from OBJECTIVE..i just couldnt love the game :D. Have fun people ;)

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Meh just play 3 hours from install its not bad i guess.

15. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Hehehe, felt like being a troll for a bit, Mr.Bigtime? ;)

But yeah, textures are pretty poor. I was hoping for a texture mod, but since even the config files can't be open, I'm not holding my breath. On the other hand, performance is great on my system.

Anyway, this is the most fun I had with a game for a long time...

I've finished it and I just love to go around the infected areas as a soldier along with the tanks, shooting and blowing the crap out of zombies.

Oh, and cruising around with that mega tank is just awesome. It's pure fun everytime I fire the cannon and see cars and zombies just flying everywhere with a mild slow-motion blast effect.

I'm seriously becoming a fanboy of this game :3eyes:

16. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi
    1920x1080 4xAA, vsync on and the other stuff at high.
    edit: im running it on Win7 RC x64

no preformance issues here other than it seems to be jerky when i move
    the camera, like 1 jerk a second, so it seems like the camera is stopping
    up all the time, tho the FPS is high. Its almost like diskswapping, but i
    guess its not that as i have it on an Intel x25-m SSD. Most likely a
    patch or driver update will make it smooth.

As for what i think about the game: beware, personal views ahead ^^

The engine _seems_ like a really old RTS engine, ruins much of the
    atmosphere and imersivness. i wish they atleast would have updated the
    textures for the PC version, and made a few more different buildings and
    NPCs.

Its repetative both in visuals and gameplay, but still worth trying just to
    jump from rooftop to rooftop and glide :) To bad if feels like you are jumping
    from and to the same building all the time.

Gameplay is okay at best, there is much to configure if you want to, but its
    still the same stuff, over and over again. Fun for the first hour and maybe
    three, but when you reach hour 10 going on 11.. well, i guess some like it
    that way :)

Storywise the game fails, but so do most others. Nowadays a guy with
    superpowers and amnesia is more of an insult that anything else.

Controls are ok, could be better ported to a keyboard + mouse setup,
    atleast less of the auto camera movement, and more controll over where
    the character runs, especialy up buildings and in combat.

The game does give you the sense of being a superhuman, and that
    is where it gets most of my points, it could have been so much better,
    but then again, its just as good as it has to be to make money.
    It might be one of the best game of its kind, but that does not make it
    one of the best games ever made. Atleast not for me ;)

6/10 from me.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  17. mbushnaq00

mbushnaq00 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    for anyone who wants to change the resolution to 1360x768 download the prototypeenginef.dll below and replace it with the original one in the Prototype directory. Also make sure u make a backup of the original one just in case.

One more thing, if u replace the file , then u will be stuck with 1360x768 resolution only, which means you cannot change the resolution. And when u go to video settings u will see the word "LABLE" instead of the resolution number.
    If u want to change it again, just restore the original file.

Download Here

If u want to know how i did it, I just used a HEX editor and replaced all the resolutions in the game with 1360x768 so that the game will be forced to use that resolution
    the credit belongs to Racer_S from widescreen gaming forum for showing us the method

18. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    The graphics aren't that bad considering what this game is trying to do. Can you see Crysis doing this craziness with the CryEngine2? Or godforbid, the Oblivion/Fallout engine trying to render multiples?

I thought the graphics were fantastic, considering the sheer amount of copters, tanks, people running and screaming, and your powers.

Having said that, the game deserved an 8 at most. The story was pretty good, other than leaving unanswered questions (spoilers):
    1. What became of Rutland?
    2. What became of Dana
    3. What actually happened in the elevator? The web of intrigue doesn't confirm anything.
    4. Was Mercer truly a terrorist or did he simply freak out and try to buy his life with a virus threat based on how Blackwatch eliminates anything in sight?

The one thing I found annoying was the virus detectors and then the excessive amount of missiles the strike team fires at you. Then there's the annoying, the hunters and the military blow up any web of intrigue people you try to eat toward the end.

Other than that, it was pretty fun.

19. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4070Ti 12GB
    playing this fan fu***** tastic game at 2048 x 1152, 16xAF and 4xAA at 60fps constantly (vsync enabled).

Just got my "arm blade" :D

20. apintojr

apintojr Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    i fixed my game crashing issue. turns out, even though the game ran a little better with 186 drivers, but i kept getting crashes. i went back to 185 and been crash free for 2 days now.