Arma 2

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by masterchiefx2, Apr 22, 2009.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I think I explained fillrate about two pages back, basically it's the screen resolution scaled up or down so that the actual rendered image is larger or smaller than the resolution.
    (Kinda like fake AA, but then again a form of AA, supersampling I believe, is to scale the screen resolution, rather forceful but quite effective.)

For my 1680x1050 resolution a fillrate of 150% equals a scaled resolution to about 1920x1200 (Bit smaller but I rounded it down.) so you can understand why high resolutions and fillrate above 100% really lowers performance.
    (Depending on other settings of course, resolution on it's own might be manageable but it depends on how much is rendered such as view distance and detail and so on.)

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's interesting info. Now I now why 2048x1536 and 200% fillrate was a struggle,

So can AA be forced by leaving the fillrate at 100% and forcing AA through the drivers? Somehow I don't think it can or the game doesn't support it, because I forced 16xAA in NCP and it didn't seem to improve the IQ at all. I think I'll have a play with RT and see if that gets me anywhere.

What's the advantage of fillrate over AA? I mean ike you said it seems like cheating a bit. Basically seems similar to increasing your res to get rid of the jaggies.

3. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Best way to set the Fillrate is the ArmA2.cfg (...\My Documents\ArmA2\...), the slider ingame is very inaccurate.
    Fillrate is the AA replacement, a german PC Games page mentioned it is called SSAA - SuperSamplingAntiAliasing. 200% is SSAA 2x2, because the image is rendered at the double resolution.

The FSAA=0 in the config does not work anymore, it did only in the closed beta. From what i've read forcing AA via the drivers has also no effect.

Code:
    language="German";
    adapter=-1;
    3D_Performance=93750;
    Resolution_Bpp=32;
    Resolution_W=1680; [COLOR="Red"]Resolution Width[/COLOR]
    Resolution_H=1050; [COLOR="Red"]Resolution Height[/COLOR]
    refresh=60;
    Render_W=1680; [COLOR="Red"]Fillrate Width[/COLOR]
    Render_H=1050; [COLOR="Red"]Fillrate Height[/COLOR]
    FSAA=0; [COLOR="Red"]No Function[/COLOR]
    postFX=0;
    HDRPrecision=8; 
    lastDeviceId="";
    localVRAM=989003649;
    nonlocalVRAM=258998271;

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah without sounding like a whiny bitch it does seem quite buggy, there's more than a few bug posts over at the ArmA site.

In saying that though, from what I can see it looks like a lot of effort has gone into the realism and sheer scale of the game.... And I haven't even had a proper game yet - I've been fluffing around in it like a little kid in a paddling pool haha. (My game is Project Reality, and BF2 before that...)

btw, do you know which cfg. file has the Motion Sickness Blur setting? because I want to disable it....

This is what mine looks like.

language="English";
    adapter=-1;
    3D_Performance=100000; My guess is that certain menu settings are available depending on the grade of your card...some kind of rating maybe?

Resolution_Bpp=32;
    Resolution_W=1600;
    Resolution_H=1200;
    refresh=85;
    Render_W=2313;
    Render_H=1735;
    FSAA=0;
    postFX=2; I'm assuming Post Processing but surely it goes higher than 2...
    HDRPrecision=8; This one looks interesting....
    lastDeviceId="";
    localVRAM=775094272;
    nonlocalVRAM=1878255616;

5. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Code:
    language="German"; [COLOR="Red"]change has no effect, leaked language patch or official future one will fix it[/COLOR]
    adapter=-1;
    3D_Performance=93750;
    Resolution_Bpp=32;
    Resolution_W=1680; Resolution Width
    Resolution_H=1050; Resolution Height
    refresh=60;
    Render_W=1680; Fillrate Width
    Render_H=1050; Fillrate Height
    FSAA=0; No Function
    postFX=0; [COLOR="Red"]0, 1, 2 while 0 is the lowest[/COLOR]
    HDRPrecision=8; [COLOR="Red"]8,16,32 Possible, anything lower than 8 gets ignored[/COLOR]
    lastDeviceId="";
    localVRAM=989003649;
    nonlocalVRAM=258998271;
    I would set PP to lowest, eats a lot of performance and also lowers the Motionblur a little bit. Motionblur can only be disabled by a mod by Kegetys, there is no way Ingame/Config.
    http://armed-assault.de/downloads/kegetys-no-blur--no-bloom.html *

For the bugs you need to blame the german publisher, no clue why they did insist on the planned releasedate, May 29th. Instead they should have waited at least for some more bugfixes. The 1.01 Final Patch solves some bugs but is just a start. There is another patch planned for the release of the english version by the publisher 505, hopefully the same day which is June 19th.

edit:
    * might lead to problems in MP if the server does not support the mod.

6. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    can someone here tell me its not like 100% sim just good fun, flying a plane isnt like controlling planes on flights sims is it?

i like sort of bf controls

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    There will be a way to disable motion blur, I just need to find the file. EDIT: I didn't read your post properly,,,

At this stage I'm not planning on any MP games, I'm too wrapped up in PR atm.... Time will tell though...

btw My game is 100% English language:)

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That mod is currently the only way to disable motion blur and optionally bloom as the file it touches also contains all the game shaders (Which the mod alters.) and core settings. (Viewable by a PBO unpack utility from for example Armaholic or a similar site.) :)

9. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    There is a mod already to disable Motion BLur

And there is a Sound mod Already at Armaholic.com

10. Aseton

Aseton Member

GPU:
    HD4870 1GB GDDR5
    "can someone here tell me its not like 100% sim just good fun, flying a plane isnt like controlling planes on flights sims is it?

i like sort of bf controls "

Arma 2 simulates infantry combat and tactics. The controls on vehicles are much like in bf games.

11. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    is it worth buying, im looking for somthing new after BF2 and PR, is there a demo ?

12. masterchiefx2

masterchiefx2 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 280 Sli
    no demos im afraid was about to download one called armed assault 2 lol.

13. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    Well if you can stand all bugs which is obvious because game is rather new go for it. Nope there is no demo yet.

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  15. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    HOLLY SHT!

amazing! watching right now !

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I just read on the ARMA site that fillrate is actually related to Anisotropic Filtering, not Anti Aliasing...

This would make sense as anything below 100% makes everything look very blurry.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    No kidding - I wonder if they are running it on a NASA Super Computer? Looks impressive....

18. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1
    Do you got a link on that?
    Because anywhere i checked so far Fillrate was discribed as being SSAA - SuperSamplingAntiAliasing (above 100% the rendered image is higher and then being scaled down > resulting in a sharper output image). Fillrate is also directely linked to the resolution, as can be seen in the ArmA2.cfg, so it is much more likely that it does belong to SSAA instead of AF which does sharpen up textures depending on the distance.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=73144&page=4

Post #33 & #34...

I guess he was referring to Fillrate because there is no percentage option for AF....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  20. apo-ttcc

apo-ttcc Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1