2 instances of NVSVC.EXE in Task Manager

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by bhokuto, Jan 8, 2009.

1. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    I find this odd after installing 18x.xx drivers, I noticed the other day but today I decided to kill the second process and nothing visible anomalus happened, but have decided to see if any one else sees two instances in task manager under Vista x64.

Is this a bug or is this a freak accident or is this the new thing? :bang:

Peace out
    bobo

2. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    I don't even have one instance of it running... :p

nvvsvc.exe is the "NVIDIA Driver Helper Service":
    Source: http://www.pcpitstop.com/libraries/process/i/nvvsvc.exe.html

I always disable those services anyway, after I install a new driver:
    - NvMediaCenter
    - nwiz
    - NvSvc

3. drisley77

drisley77 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GT PCIE 256MB
    Same problem here in Windows 7 beta x64 using any Nividia drivers newer than 182.50

I used to disable the driver services in old versions, but they appear to do some good now with Vista and newer.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have two instances of Nvsvc.exe running too so I presume this is normal. This service needs to be left running for Vista and 7 I believe as it allows, among other things, the use of AA in Unreal Engine 3 games, etc. If you disable it or terminate it then you lose AA.

5. drisley77

drisley77 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GT PCIE 256MB
    Thanks Darren for responding!

Are you running a 64 bit version of W7?

It's weird how only the 185's and newer do this.

I've talked to a few other people who say they only have 1 instance of nvvsvc running in Windows 7 with the latest drivers.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  6. Da{N}ka

Da{N}ka Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI XFX GTX285 Black Ed.
    Are they totaly safe to disable ?

I don't use anything beside the normal configuration of the driver according to the application (AA , quality settings and so on)

thanks

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I have Windows 7 RC installed but I don't use it for games. I believe it too shows two instances of Nvsvc.exe though with the 185.85 WHQLed drivers. In fact, all the 185.xx drivers have.

8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Nvidia display Driver service, Need to be running In 64 bit Win 7 and Vista too Far as i know for AA and AF to work, XP dont Need the service though, I dont think it needs to have 2 of them running to work properly, But I have 2 instance of it running in Win 7 64bit

9. drisley77

drisley77 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GT PCIE 256MB
    I'm thinking why some people only say they see 1 instance of the nvvsvc in task manager is because they don't have "show processes from all users" selected in Task Manager.

Thanks Darren and tsunami231 for replying and confirming my suspicions.

For the heck of it I went back to the W7 beta, and still had 2 instances of nvvsvc, so I suspect the reason I never saw this before in the beta is because I was only using the 182 drivers.

Thanks again!

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm the only user on my PC and I set it up to use to the hidden REAL Administrator account, the one that doesn't have UAC prompting me at every turn, then deleted the default one! As such I see all processes when looking at Task Manager whereas I didn't used on my previous machine as I was using the default Administrator account.

I think you're right in your assumption about that being the reason some people only see one Nvsvc.exe process.

*EDIT*
    I've just checked and both Nvsvc.exe processes with Vista x64 are shown as System ones not one Administator and one System. They're different sizes though, one is approx. 2 MB and the other is 4 MB.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Wait how u do that? I am only user on the my pc and I had to turn off UAC to get of that and far as i know i am the administrator

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    P.S. The file is actually called nvVsvc.exe (two v's) not nvsvc.exe. Maybe there's two because one is the 32-bit file and the other 64-bit?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    there is * next to 32bit programs and proccess there are not * next to those 2 process for me

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, you're right, both files are 64-bit but then it was 64-bit drivers that I installed so that makes sense, I guess.

15. drisley77

drisley77 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GT PCIE 256MB
    I ended up reinstalling Windows 7 BETA x64 to try out the drivers, and I still get two instances of NVVSVC.EXE when I install any drivers newer than the 182.xx's, so it's not a RC only issue.

Somebody over at the Windows 7 forums tells me he's running the new 185's on two PC's and only shows 1 instance of the service, even when using the "show processes from all users" options. ODD

This is what I'm seeing

[​IMG]

I always used to disable this service anyway, but I hear with W7 it's crucial to keep it enabled for full gaming function (AA and AF I think), so I am going to leave it enabled.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009

16. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    ive filed this with ms

17. drisley77

drisley77 New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800GT PCIE 256MB
    Cool, thanks antonyfrn. But I think it's more of an Nvidia problem, no?

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think it's intentional, not a bug myself. Notice that the Sidebar.exe process also shows two entries under Task Manager too. So too do the Unsecapp.exe, Explorer.exe and Taskeng.exe processes also. It's probably to do with the operating system being 64-bit. Maybe you only get a single entry if you're running 32-bit Vista or 7?

I noticed when I opened up Google Chrome earlier that it showed three entries even though I only had one window open. Seems to be fairly common for Vista and 7 software, it's not just the NVIDIA drivers.

19. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Very possible Darren but should have a answer from the Win7 beta team in a few days or it might just get sent off to nvidia.

20. live4life

live4life Banned

GPU:
    Asus EnGTX295
    on for 32bit ver compability and one for 64bit~!!its natural m8ty its like mine but i dont use this service