Buying from steam...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Flopster, May 23, 2009.

1. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I asked this in the steam group thread, but I wanna know faster, so I made a thread:D:D

ehh...

Totally dumb question, but I haven't used steam before and I don't know what's exactly the best method to buy a game?( I'm thinking TF2, since it's 50% off and only 9.99eur:) )

There any risks? I want to buy it today, but I really don't know much about these online transaction things:( ...yet!

Guys, please help out! I really wanna try it out and it doesn't cost that much...

2. ViolentOpposition

ViolentOpposition Master Guru

GPU:
    PALIT GTX 570
    There are little to no risks (realistically), as long as your computer is clean/free of viruses.

3. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    What's the best way?

Paypal? Click and buy? Which?

I've never done any internet transaction, so I know nothing:D

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Going to use PayPal ? It works and is quite nice. You don't even need credit card for it (which is good since I don't have one). Takes about 3 days to transfer cash from bank account to PayPal account and then it's easy to buy what you want.

Good way is to keep like 50€ on that account so you can buy what you want and when you want and don't need to wait that 3 days before buying.

5. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I just used my debit card when i first opened my steam account and got the HL2 bundle.

6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I answered in the other thread but i used my debit card linked to paypal to purchase games

7. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    I don't have a credit card either... I only got the card, which they give you at the bank, the usual one:p

I was thinking about putting 10eur, since I don't need to buy anything else right now. You have to wait for 3 days? I mean why so long? I was hoping I could buy it today:(

And I'm not sure about those card numbers and stuff...

8. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    Buying from steam is fine, nothing to worry about. The only thing to remember is to never cheat in any game, because if you get caught, your account gets locked and you can't play any games.

9. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    So, as I understand, I just put my card's number and expiration date and I'm ready to shop?

Tat3, you said I have to carry the money over to that account, but there's an option of linking, so that's immediate use?

10. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Yes you can link your paypal account to a bank account (or debit card) so that if you use paypal to buy something the funds are immediately taken from your account - so you don't need to wait to transfer funds manually.

I think this is how most people have their paypal set up as it's by far the most convenient.

EDIT: To clarify, what I mean is, if you have your paypal account linked to your bank account it works like this:

You find your game on Steam
    You add it to your basket
    You choose Paypal as your payment option
    Paypal instantly pulls the exact amount of money from your bank account
    The transaction completes

Last edited: May 23, 2009

11. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    That's exactly what I wanted to do, but...

I can't even create an account in paypal:(

It seems my card doesn't have security code:3eyes: So, I borrowed my moms card and that one didn't have it either. Guess I'm screwed then:bang:

Any ideas on WTF should I do now? :(

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  12. TheGr81

TheGr81 Master Guru

GPU:
    Saphire Radeon HD 7870 OC
    Does Steam not accept cards directly in Europe like they do in the US? Why use Paypal at all?

13. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    It does, but as I said, my card doesn't have the security number:(

Day is just turning better and better. I can't even download the free tf2 now. It just won't download:bang:

14. Flopster

Flopster Banned

GPU:
    Club3D 8600GTS 256MB
    Ah, well atleast it started to download-_-

15. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    lol Major doesn't know how to use his debit card or the internetz?

16. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    PayPal is safe and Steam is safe. I've used them for years and had no problems financially with them; ever.

17. Bravo

Bravo Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    I use ClickandBuy. It works great for me and it allows you to download the game right away. Careful though to not buy to much! The card has to be a Maestro card (Electronic Cash - EC) in either PayPal and ClickandBuy I believe. If nothing works, ask a friend of yours to buy it for you in steam and then either give them the money or send it to them via online banking.

18. ZeroAndOne

ZeroAndOne Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 6800GS AGP 256mb @ stock
    Since you said that you have never done any internet transaction before, I thought I mention this just in case. The security number is a 3 digits number located at the back of your card.

Does you bank card shows the logo of Visa and such? If so, you can use your bank card like a credit card in most of the cases.

19. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Sounds like he just has a basic bank card the only thing you can do is either ask someone to let you use there card or paypal

you can use bank transfer but it takes time, you should ask your bank about getting a credit or debit card

20. lepitius

lepitius Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 9600GT 512DDR3@670mhz
    Debit cards don't work, you need a credit card. There are a number of options available for you:
    1. Ask your Mom/Dad for their CC. :p
    2. If you have a SEB account, theres a service called a "virtual credit card". I think you can make one in your UNet account, basically you put the limit on it and the expiration date and the bank gives you all the information, without actually giving you a credit card. The amount is taken off your debit account plus a fee (10 kroon, IIRC).