Dell: Windows 7 is much more expensive than Vista

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 20, 2009.

1. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    You do want to switch to Windows 7.

2. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I'll get an even better deal on ME when 7 hits. By the time that windows 9 128bit hits then I may start to even think about upgrading to XP 32. Vista is too far off for me. Perhaps when windows 14 728bit hits I may think about Vista32.

3. MOSFET

MOSFET Banned

GPU:
    XFX GTS250 512MB
    that'll count for all of them then.

isn't it strange when you mention pirated copies of windows in a thread that everyone who posts afterwards insists they bought theirs? lol

I bet if I started a thread asking people to take a pic of themselves in a mirror holding their legitimate vista/xp/2000 box with cd-key partially blacked out there would be ZERO replies ;)

Like I said before.....in 25years of using computers I know of about four private individuals who have purchased a legitimate copy of ANY windows OS. Yet this forum (which is predominantly made up of students) has thousands of members who own a legitimate copy ;)

MMMKAAAAAAY

4. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Proof enough? :D

[​IMG]

5. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    four??? lmao
    dont know very many pple i assume, i'm in at about 24 years in computers and i've known countless people throughout the years in person who bought legit copies, as for general population, heck just look at OEM sales each month and right there is a legit purchase since they usually come with latest windows OS.
    already shown my copy unintentionally as its displayed in background in the rigs pics thread along with many, many boxed pc games, but sure i'd do it again if anyone thought i was hypocrite.

many piraters here from what i've seen over the years seem to proudly mention they pirated something, doubt anyone cares enough to lie about it, like someone else can really do something about it or anything lol

6. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Edit: apparently i'm going to have to post the link to the image later as apparently...my gf lost the card to my camera....ugh

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  7. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I can not tell you that i have anything before vista, as i have either sold them, or just thrown them away, or, lost in a box somewhere, however, i can tell you that i have vista, legit, and here's the pic, and yes, i do have the ability to buy through microsoft company "employee", just incase you were wondering about the gigantic sticker

[​IMG]

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I got XP through my parent's dell laptop which now runs Ubuntu and Vista through my school (most tech schools have MSDNAA subscriptions). So technically all my copies I bought. I will be physically purchasing 7 on release. Sorry MOSFET, I guess you're wrong.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  9. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    i'd also like to say that "most" people i know IRL have their copy of windows legally.....there's maybe.....3-5 people i know who don't, and the main reason they don't, is they don't have the money, or do not think paying that much for it is right

10. MountainLynx

MountainLynx Guest

GPU:
    RX 570 8GB
    +1

This, and the fact that the Dell rep didn't bother mentioning or referencing any pricing numbers even speculated by Microsoft lead me to believe that Dell is trying to do/say anything to liquidate it's Vista stock before the official Windows 7 release. I'll be unmoved until the news comes straight from the horse's (Microsoft's) mouth.

11. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Avoid spreading lies please.

Only noobs get copies with trojans, otherwise the copies are identical to the originals including ALL the updates. I laff when I see when someone couldn't get a decent videocard because uncle gates decided that windows be charged 100$ or something like that.

To each his own I guess, however this trojan/malware stuff your posting about is lies! If you go on public torrents the comments generally give a good indicator, same goes for warez forums (although if post member has good rep you wouldnt have problems) and private sites have zero.

12. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    I agree, people will pay $500 for a video card that's outdated in less than a year, $60 bucks for a single PS3/XBOX game but think $100 bucks for an OS that countless other applications need in order to run. And don't give me this software vs hardware crap excuse....if software didn't have value no one would seek it out in the first place to download.

13. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    There's a huge difference.

Stealing hardware is hard and in most countries you go to jail.

Stealing software is easy and in some countries its just frowned upon.

An epic difference.

14. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    The argument isn't which is harder vs easier. Of course it's easier to steal software. The argument I'm making is that just because it's easier doesn't make it less bad. In both the person is stealing a product of value. If you don't think the product is worth the price the company asks doesn't make it ok to steal it. If you don't think it's worth that price then buy a product that does the same thing that is cheaper. If you think Windows is overpriced get Linux. I think a Ferrari is overpriced that doesn't make it ok for me to steal it. Guess what I have to do, buy a cheaper car that isn't as good.

15. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    I dont see it that way, Windows is a monopoly. Its like saying that there was one global auto manufacturer and that the only model they sell is 75,000€. I guess you'd see more people stealing....

Anyways im not gonna defend stealing because as you say its wrong in any case but lets not be crazy and evaluate stealing from old people and pirating.

16. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW
    I don't normally install beta OS on my main rig but I was really curious about win 7 so I installed the rc x64 version and I'm really impressed with how stable it is.

I never upgraded to vista so I've been using XP pro 32-bit for over 7 years now. I will probably pick up a OEM version of win 7 x64 on newegg when it's released because I don't see myself going back to XP.

Microsoft may have to re-evaluate their pricing here in the USA because the dollar is getting ready to tank and we are going to see massive inflation next year due to the Obama administration's reckless spending and botched handling of the economic situation.

17. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    To expect people in a country where the average wage is around 100 Euro's a month to spend, possibly, an entire years savings on an OS is ridiculous. M$ don't have to charge so much here but they do because they can and because they think being greedy is clever.

The intelligence of it astonishes me because instead of make something they'd rather lose everything. Their loss in the end and no sympathy from me.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    its not lies exactly. A guy i know who got XP Corporate off the well known torrent site, after installed it did contain a virus in an obvious folder called "Vista" ...stupid script kiddies.

However AV's dont detect unkown code unless the code uses typical malware behavior and even then detection is "iffy".
    If you a malware writer, what better way to stealthly put some code you wrote and tested out on sites like "VirusTotal which tests using many scanners than doing so on an OS, which is installed before anything, giving time to stealthly disable or outmanuever any AV you put in it. has time to do anyting really.

so yes it would be rather arrogant to think otherwise cause if your particular AV doesnt find it, then theres always that chance that you would never know about it for years. horrible thought

19. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Did you read the post?

Public torrents are for noobs, I wouldn't dl xp or any other OS because it would take ages, however if one looks at the comments you could get a quick idea on how good a torrent is (or even the seeds).

On private torrent sites, the stuff Never has viruses.