Most hyped over game that disappionted you

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sorak, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Grahf

Grahf Guest

GPU:
    MSI N580GTX Lightning
    Huh? :3eyes:

You DO realize that it's all subjective, right?

You DO realize that incredible sales DON'T MEAN THAT A GAME IS AUTOMATICALLY A MASTERPIECE, right?

You DO realize you have EVERY RIGHT to disagree with any critic on the face of the planet about how "great" a game is, right?

There are plenty of people on this PC forum who think the Halo games are over-hyped, overrated garbage. In fact, I'd say A LOT of PC gamers feel that way.

Yet the Halo games got almost universal RAVE REVIEWS, they were declared ground-breaking masterpieces, and their sales were unbelievable (every Halo game out-sold Half-Life 2, let's put it that way).

So does that mean every single person in this forum who thinks Halo is overrated is automatically wrong?

Of course not.

"Marley & Me" got way higher ticket sales than "Watchmen" at the box office, and they have about the same tomato-meter rating at RottenTomatoes. So that automatically means that "Watchmen" isn't a better movie than "Marley & Me"??

Anyone can think whatever they want about any game or movie or any other creative work, and if they can back up their opinion with good points of their own, even better.

So let me make it more clear.

Half-Life 2 wasn't just "disappointing", it SUCKED HARD. It was a worthless waste of time and I'm GENUINELY SORRY I even played it in the first place. It was a repetitive, boring, uninteresting, over-hyped, overrated piece of crap.

In other words, it was a BAD GAME.

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Evrything is subjective and noone is right .

Go on.

I'm off. HUH.

3. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    You can't and shouldn't expect everybody elses opinion to conform to your own. If someone thinks a game is crap, it is, to them at least and they have every right to say it and express their opinion.

4. Dahzeal33

Dahzeal33 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 275 SLI
    TF2 - Dumbed down, mainstreamized. I still play from time to time but get bored really quick. TFC was the best in series.
    Spore - didn't even buy it due to the let down
    Bioshock - I wanted to like it too, but it's so freaking boring
    Thief 3 - just not near as cool as the first 2, and it killed the series IMO
    Neverwinter Nights 2 series - WTF happened to GOOD D&D story lines?
    CoD5 - got it for free and it had a few intense missions but over all was pretty crap. I had hoped they were done with WWII when CoD4 came out.

There are so many others, but these get my vote.

Also, I like Farcry 2. The respawning is a bit excessive, but there needs to be some respawning. Also, it cracks me up how everyone talks so damned fast. Ever notice that?

EDIT: Also, In CoD5's defense, that mission where you're gunning on the seaplane was absolutely amazing. It really blew me away. To bad teh rest of it was so bland.

Last edited: May 7, 2009

5. krayzieNRG

krayzieNRG Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    need for speed pro sh!t
    need for speed underwear
    farcry 2
    halo series

6. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I disagree. But I think I used those same words for Halo 1 and 2. That Half Life 2 and Halo 2 came out in the same month, or even millennium, is a ridiculous notion.

7. Whiteraven

Whiteraven Member Guru

GPU:
    (2X) BFG 8800GTS OC 640mb
    Hellgate London

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Far crap 2 :nerd:
    Painkiller overdose, well ok not wasnt hyped but compared to the orginal its crap
    TF2 urgh horrid cartoon thing
    Half life deathmatch source - was hyped but then it came out completely ridden with bugs
    Manhunt 2 - not a patch on the orginal

9. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    wanted wepons of fate

and not much liking Riddick dark athena ether atm

rainbow six vegas was utter crap

quake wars

grid jokes lol :D

10. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Fable 2. I even bought the effing special edition, opening day, before reading any reviews. I almost cried, or rather i would've cried if i, ya know, had tear ducts and maybe wasn't such a man

11. KiLO

KiLO Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 260OCX in SLI
    Epic fails! And I love FPS games too :wanker:
    Far Cry 2, because it just doesnt feel right...
    Call of Duty 5 World at War, thought WW2 was finished after number 4, plus very annoying AI, hammered the game on its hardest setting shooting mostly dumb computer controlled AI that stood there and just lapped the bullets up... Thats it for me really, I dont set my sights to high on games and take them as they come really, although FPS/RTS/RPG whatever type games they're meant to be get my goat though, Fallout 3 ect :):biggun:

12. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    What didn't you like? Admittedly I haven't played it much but it seemed OK for the hour or so I played.

13. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    hype is in the mind of the hyper, so yea people's lists will vary widely on how much you follow a game or what you read about and and what expectations you personally allow in your head.

some of the games listed i did not even know there was hype about. :) FC2, spore, crysis, hell huxley are all games that were probably given a ton or press or rumor and hype in certain circles. me the most hyped game in my mind atm is probably batman arkham asylum tho i am trying to temper that with the reality that all batman games have been rather meh, and comic games in general go from average to awful.

but we all should be taking responsibility for the amount of hype we feel for a particular license or title.

14. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Oblivion first and foremost, I still can't believe how popular it is, but I guess it shows where the industry is, and how people want even their RPG's to be casual. Literally one of the worst RPG's I've played in my entire life, absolutely terrible beyond words, as a casual action game it's a tiny bit better, but still awful.

Bioshock, not a bad game on its own, but if you've been a gamer for a while, and played System Shock 2, than you'd probably know how annoying it is to play it again under a new name, but completly stripped of it's depth.

The entire Rainbow Six series after Raven Shield, another nod to the casual direction games are headed. Of course if they didn't use the Rainbow Six name I wouldn't really care, but of course they have to cash in on the license.

To be honest, I could just put "Entire gaming industry as of 2009" and save everyone a whole lot of time.

15. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    True, I had Raven Shield, never played another RS game before but it was epic, even online it was a fun game. But I never bothered to buy another one as they seemned so... average, aimed towards the masses.

16. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Cryostasis: crap........what an over hyped POS!!

Godfather II : Disappointing

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Got more to add to the list.
    Half life 2, everyone liked it, but I can't stand it. To me, it's one of the most boring games I've played.
    Crysis, looks good, but doesn't play good.
    Far Cry 2, same with Crysis.
    Doom 3 ROE, it was too easy. WAY TOO EASY.
    Need for speed undercover, pfft. Enough said with that. Too much to say.
    Halo 3, hated it. Only fun part about halo 3 was either when it was battle rifle no shields, or the construction mode thing.

18. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I just played through Doom 3 and ROE about a month ago, and found ROE to be much harder than Doom 3. Before both however, I more than doubled in some cases the health of the enemies in the their config files, but IMO at least ROE was quite a bit harder.

19. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I'd say a bit on Halo 3 since I was anticipating it, but the multiplayer sucked. I loved the single player. This was especially bad since Call of Duty 4 came out right after and stole the Halo 3 thunder. Having been in the CoD 4 Beta, I couldn't stop playing it. Even to this day!

I'd say the most disappoint game would have to be Quake Wars or Call of Duty: World at War (it was just a CoD 4 mod in a standalone package).

deltatux

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  20. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Well good then, i'd advise leaving it at that and having fond memories of that hour. I dunno there was just nothing to it really, peter molyneux made it out to be a gift straight from the gods, and I took that with a grain of salt, but even so most of the things he would talk a/b in the previews of the game sounded like really good ideas (combat depth/ease, no armor so as to make clothing about customizing appearance rather than just having the one best set of armor and everything else being useless), and the screenshots and concept artwork looked so promising, I really ended up buying into the hype.

Long story short, i found that none of them worked, the whole game was very shallow, and all in all not worth playing.

Maybe the worst part was the dog, which sounded so good in theory, but it ended up being nothing more than a look-over-there annoyance, that did non-adorable scripted things at inappropriate times.

If you can find something to the game that makes it worth playing, power to ya, genuinely hope you enjoy it, but i really didn't.