Radeon VGA + Geforce Physx works on XP but not on Vista

Discussion in 'Videocards - Intel ARC & ARC Driver section' started by janos666, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Ellisdee

Ellisdee Member

GPU:
    2x4870x2 1x8800 Ultra
    use windows7 best way atm i do the same
    my thougts about the problem is there a way to give the vista driver the xp64
    xpdm signature mabe dx10 is then possible but need to aks this a driver
    modder have noidea to making this possible

btw windows server 2008 rc1 dont have these restriction have it installed as
    3. os on my machine there is no problem like windows 7 but its a sserver os
    so u get installer problems

edit
    physix rendering over geforce works on windows7 u just have to activate a
    screen at the geforce and u see in tools like fliudmark and vantage cpu test2
    that the physx get rendered over hardware aka geforce when u dont
    activate a screen u see it renders over software aka cpu
    maybe i make a video whichh shows it and post it to utube

the problem is there is just no game with hard enough physix hardware
    usage to see a diffrence or better i found none

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. sportrckr

sportrckr New Member

GPU:
    XFX 4890 1GB
    Hey I'm sorry to dig this up, but I just picked up a new 4890 to replace my 8800gs. I'm using XP and I was trying to run the 8800gs as a physx card, but whenever I follow the directions and then try to set my geforce card as the main driver, windows tells me that my driver is out of date and I can't use it even though it's recognized as being there. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get it to work?

Many thanks in advance

3. El3ctro

El3ctro Active Member

GPU:
    SapphireHD4890@960\4675
    just use the win 7 rc or wait till the retail version of it is out and then run it.....btw this works perfectly fine on win7 :D it's been tested with 4890 and gx2 buuut olny for short while becuse gx2 is helluva hot card and i dont want my computer end in flames :p

4. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    I'm actually working on this for some time. I think it's still possible as the problem isn't in having 2 display drivers, i think (might be wrong) that you can't have 2 different vendor's as GFX.

Ill try to update my DNA-Hybrid package this week (I lost all data due to a HDD crash, so ill have to start from scratch) and try to get this to work once more :D

5. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Uploading new version.

6. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    DOWNLOAD
    Release info:
    * Trying to get PhysX to work with ATI+nVidia combination
    * Nvidia incorporated into ATi installer
    * DNA-ATi Vista/Win7 Hybrid 0.2 Vista/Win7 x64 ONLY FOR NOW

NOTES:
    * New version smaller package size 128MB (22MB less than 0.1)
    - if version 0.2 doesn't work don't delete the package as i will be uploading small updates that overwrite certain files so you don't have to redownload 128MB's

Installation x64:
    • 1. Uninstall drivers from Programs and Features/Add and Remove Programs (express uninstall recommended)
      2. Reboot / boot with F8 disable driver signing!
      3. Install drivers from setup menu
      4. Reboot and enjoy
      !. F8 disable driver signing! boot each time or else the drivers will not work
      ?. To make this more easy / make it automatic please download ReadyDriverPlus

* If the download doesn't work goto donotargue.com domain and copy paste the link there (HotLink Protection)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  7. KillerSneak

KillerSneak Banned

GPU:
    2x HD 3870's CrossFireX
    Anybody willing to give this a try?

8. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I would like to try them. As I can see you used a slim nv driver package without any unnecessary files. You removed the control panel, it is interesting if it would not cause any problem with CCC...

I could not figure it out (without installing, because I do not have my 8600GT yet) what is the nv driver version. I can see that you used every files from the same driver but there is not version tag...

Can I replace the cuda.dll and cuda32.dll with one from 186.xx (or any cuda 2.2 enabled drivers) and keep the other files from the last-working display driver?

Oh, and I should be glad to see if you would update this package with Catalyst 9.5 (may be with DNA 9.5 :)) in some days (until my 8600GT arrives :infinity:). I can do it myself but it is safer if you update your stuff and I do not need to edit your ini files...

9. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I can not play Mirror's Edge with hardware Physx. Performance is bad and image is corrupted if I use 181.71

But I have some experiences now:
    If I replace cuda files on 181.71 with new files from 186.07 then nv control panel will show Physx options but hardware acceleration won't work.
    If I install 186.07 then there won't be Physx option in nvcpl and hardware Physx won't work.
    If I replace other files, like kernel mode system driver file (nvlddmkm.sys) then cpl wont start. (->and Physx won't work)

So, this hybrid thing is death. (Mirror's Edge is not everything but I think that Terminator Salvation will cause the same trouble.)

10. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Mirrors Edge and Cryostasis

I found the solution for Mirror's Edge!
    I tried everything with dlls (replace them with older or younger versions from other UT3 based games or directly from ageia folder) but nothing worked.
    But the answer is more simple: You have to use Forceware 181.22 and nothing else. 181.77 will not work and older versions never worked well, even with singe geforce cards...
    This is a WDDM 1.0 driver for Vista, but you can install it manually with device manager (you can unpack the exe with winrar). You can install the latest Physx runtimes but you do not need to replace any dll in the MirrorsEdge/binaries folder (Maybe it can help for slow cards with heavy effects but it do not needed for hardware acceleration).
    And Mirrors Edge in not everything so I tried to play Cryostatsis with physx patch and my overclocked 8600GT worked well with enhanced hardware effects. :)
    I hope it will work with Terminator (I bought this passive cooled cheap geforce card mainly for that game).

Sorry! This is not correct. It seems that I forgot to backup some dll files beforce I started to overwrite them because I reinstalled the game and I lost the hardware acceleration.
    I will play with dll files and isolate the bastard... (but there is a working version :infinity:)

UPDATE: You have to rename or permanently delete this file from Morror's Edge / Binaries folder: PhysXDevice.dll
    I did not see this file anywhere else, so I never tried to replace it. If you install forceware 181.22 and you remove this file, then Mirror's Edge will use hardware accelerated Physx on hybrid (radeon+geforce) configs.
    I never saw this dll anywhere else, so it won't cause problem with other UT3 based games (or it has to be deleted...).

UPDATE2: Oh my God! I found another restriction: You have to set your secondary display to 800x600. Physx won't work if you keep it at high resolutions (like 1920x1200). :bang:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009