Bios limiting ram to 3200MB?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Garak, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    In my bios under system info it says
    memory: 3200MB
    appropriated: 896MB

Not sure why it does that.. At first I didn't care as I primarily run XP32, so it only uses 3GB anyways.

But I installed Windows7 x64 to play with it, and it shows the same as my bios, 3200MB total.

Now 896MB happens to be the memory my gpu has (gtx 280) so I wonder if it's doing something weird like holding it for it?

Anyways, anyone know whats going on, is it normal or no?

System specs per my panel..

2. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    I have to enable the "memory hole" in my bios to use the full 4 gig.

3. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    no idea about the bios option but afaik there are no gtx 280 cards with only 896 MB of memory. so where did you get yours?

-andy-

4. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    lol guess i mixed it up with the 260. Has a gig.

Lain - thx, I will check out my bios for that option.

5. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Nothing you can do you can do a work around to SEE 4GB but you can't actually use 4GB in 32bit vista/xp was the same as me i had 3254MB ram but im 64bit now so i can use all my ram :)

6. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    he is using W7 x64

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Same thing applys you can only see 4GB can't use 4GB

8. Lain

Lain Guest

GPU:
    HD5970 @ 950/1200MHz
    W7 x64 can use 4 gb, it supports up to 128 GB of internal memory if MS didn't change that number, just like XP x64 and Vista x64.

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    awww 64bit we are talking about my bad :p

ok well its not snapshots or pagefile so....

maby a bios update is needed.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You need to enable memory remapping in BIOS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009

11. bobdude

bobdude Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6gb
    i got that prob as well... i got 2 remapping a s/w and a h/w wich would it be?

12. Ravensong13

Ravensong13 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 260-core 216

interesting note: according to what I know Vista 64 bit has different memory maximums depending on what version you have..

64bit basic has a max of 8 gig.. dont know what the others are.. I do know the max is 128gig... on the most expensive editions.

kinda wierd if you ask me... and here I have basic cause I thought it would just have less extra crap I dont want/need for a pure gaming rig.... oh well.

13. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    I know home Premium supports 16GB (the max most Mobos can support)...

If its a 64bit OS, either some of the RAM is bad, theres a BIOS option keeping RAM from being used, or M$ *forgot* to properly code their new os...

14. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    in my BIOS i must enable MEMORY REMAP or something like that too use my 8GB. other wise i my PC only sees 6GB rams or something.

15. Garak

Garak Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce 280 GTX OC
    Yep that was it, thanks Anarion.

My bios says this option provides better compatibility for 32bit OS when off, so it's default to off. Turned it on brought it up to 4gb.

16. ethant

ethant New Member

GPU:
    NV9800GT
    dear all
    i hv the same prob as like in this thread.
    but
    myself having 4gb in my board. but my sys couldnt run til 4gb which is only run as in 2.5gb. this is abnormal whereby other user who install OS in 32bit detects 3.25GB for their ram usage in the OS.

How would i need to do in order to get 3.25gb o more bcos 2.5gb is alrdy running abnormally.

every kind of testing for hardware is done. so, pls recommend some other solution like i hv read memory mapping would work. but for gigabyte ep45-ud3l i duno where to do that in bios.

or hv some other way to solve it. pls advise. :bang:

thank you.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^What he said.

^What he said

Actually that's bang on. 3200 + 896 = 4096Mb

Your BIOS is seeing the whole 4 gig but some of it is reserved for onboard devices and gfx cards etc, which is normal, so looks like remapping is already enabled....

If remapping is enabled in the bios then your motherboard doesn't support 4Gb RAM. Some chipsets don't. There was a member here, Sava99 I think, who had the same problem as you. Might have even been the same board.

If your board doesn't see all your ram then your OS definitely won't.

If you have integrated graphics make sure it's disabled if you don't use it, or the bios will assign system ram to it for the frame buffer.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  18. ethant

ethant New Member

GPU:
    NV9800GT
    my bios can detect 4gb. but not in my OS (vista 32bit). i wonder y only my board detects 2.5gb way too low for detection. isnt it. surely something o some setting is wrong.

how to check the remapping in my board model?

[​IMG]

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/6506/myprobleml.jpg

pls refer to this url which direct to my attached sys pic. perhaps u can hv clear pic n would help me out. others oso can help out too.

thank you.

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sorry I thought you were using XP.

The available physical memory shown in the Vista Task Manager is what is left over for the system after memory has been allocated to onboard devices. (That's what I have read)

Your OS can see a max of 3.5 Gb physical memory. around a gig of that is assigned to your video card, so you should have 2.5Gb left over - which is what is displayed in your task manager.

But you maybe able to increase the amount of ram the bios lets vista have by enabling remapping. There should be an option in your bios under the memory options that looks like "memory remapping" or "memory hole". If it's in there just enable it.
    I'm not familiar with your board though. I just realized what I said i my last post. If there is a memory remapping option available then yeah of course your board would support 4gb...

You should set the amount of shared memory for your gfx card to a smaller amount if you want more system RAM. I would. You may have an option in your bios to change the size of shared video memory/frame buffer.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  20. ethant

ethant New Member

GPU:
    NV9800GT
    yes, thus is it true or real that my 2.5gb n suppose to hv 1gb extra if not assigned to GC huh.

then would it able to take out frm the GC setting rather than go for remapping. cos, gigabyte dont hv such term, remapping or memory hole. can u pls help ask around ur area who using gigabtye?

does asus got such term or keyword??