GTX 285 problem!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by BlakeB, Apr 23, 2009.

1. BlakeB

BlakeB Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 GTX
    Hey everyone i just got my computer together and im having one of the wierdest problems ive ever seen!

Vista 64 will not give me a rating any higher then 1 on graphics and gaming graphics LMAO. Has anyone else expierienced this issue?

2. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    What driver set are you using? Try the offical 182.50 if you are using a beta driver or something similar. It could of been a iffy install, so try reinstalling the drivers. Also make sure that all of your Chipset drivers for your motherboard are installed correctly too, otherwise that may be giving you problems. I remember my old 6600GT said AGP (PCI Mode) because my chipset drivers weren't installed right. I reinstalled it and not only did it say AGP 8X but it also gave me a frame rate boost. Try these and report back what happens. Your GTX should give a 5.9

3. DonDany21

DonDany21 Member

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OC2 1GB
    Google it ... I had this problem too, can't remember how to solve it :(

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    run a 3dmarkvantage as it comes free with evga...post your score. if its way lower than other scores then u have a problem...

(reckon u should be around 15-17k for a 285..thats a guess btw) well my old 260 used to score around 13k.

5. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 2070
    Have you installed mobo drivers?

6. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    I love Windows. :bang:

I was going to post something along the lines of who cares, and then I remembered why this matters. Windows thinks you and I are idiots. Instead of allowing you to force Aero on because you know it will work. Windows says your hardware doesn't support it. So stupid. This has and will always be my biggest peeve with Windows. The all powerful system can tell you no. Nothing makes me want to throw someting at my monitor more than Windows telling me I can't do something.

BTW The Windows Experience Index was hyped up by Microsoft upon the release of Vista. They released all this BS about how they would continue to update it's functionality and allow for scores above 5.9 as more powerful hardware became available and Blah Blah Blah. Really? Where? Oh wait, they were just blowing smoke in our rears again. :stewpid:

7. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Your 285 GPU score should sit between 13K and 14K.

8. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    You score is a 1 because the GTX285 is the least powerful card you can buy.

You must've gotten a good one, though, as my score was .13 'til I overclocked it. Now I can run minesweeper on Ultra, though I must lower my resolution to 120 X 80.

:D Hope you get it sorted, mate!

9. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    SWEET JESUS! :uhoh:

10. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    OMG you guys are all wrong (maybe with the exception of not having the drivers installed right). But the reason is that windows will not write over the already existing WEI scores that were ran @ the install of the OS (you know BEFORE all the drivers were installed) which is why you see a 1. You need to delete the .xml files in the folder with the WEI scores in them & then it will tell you need to run the WEI again. Run it again & you should have the correct scores. This has happened to me on a few separate occasions.

%SYSTEMROOT%\Performance\WinSat\DataStore < This is the folder!!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933478

Thanks I know.

lol everyone is using Vista too. I can't believe you guys haven't run into this yet.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009

11. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Ive never come across this issue. I just refresh everytime I update my graphics drivers and it works everytime. I got the impression the user was having an issue being that everytime he ran the performance too his graphics would give a 1.

12. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Well it's happened to me at least 3 times. On a few different systems. Maybe I installed the drivers out of order, but I always do chipset then graphics.

@BlakeB is the card under performing or are you just trippin on the WEI scores?

13. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Huh? I've never had that problem. Either changing hardware promts for an update or refreshing the score works every time over many installs and hardware changes. Looks like you might have something wrong with your system.:)

14. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    The way you install drivers is correct. Installing chipset first means that Windows will correctly read information regarding the PCI Express Root Ports. I mentioned earlier in the thread about my 6600GT AGP being read as PCI as because of the chipset drivers. After a quick reinstall all was fixed.

15. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    So why does microsoft have a support page for this very issue? Yeah. There is nothing wrong with my system. Trust me.

Quote from MS's support page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933478

"This issue occurs when Windows previously tested the system and provided an index rating. If the hardware changed since the initial testing process, the original values are stored until they are updated. This procedure is performed to support existing software and features that rely on the Windows Experience Index rating information.

The Windows Experience Index evaluates the scores of hardware configurations and updates items that have high scores. Each score in the Windows Experience Index relates to a particular hardware item. For example, the Memory score relates to random access memory (RAM). The Graphics score relates to the video card.

The Windows Experience Index may inherit earlier ratings. The index is especially likely to inherit earlier ratings for components that relate to gaming graphics, such as memory."

So if you had a score of 1 before the drivers were installed, the new configuration may have "inherited" the earlier scores. Hence the reason for deleting the XML files as it seems at this point WEI will always inherit the previous score. So you need to delete the XML files.

Get it? Got it? Good!!!

Now that's not to say the drivers are not installed correctly (or in some peoples case, at all). If his score doesn't display correctly after that then I would definitely re-install the drivers.

Just a FYI: Windows 7 does not seem to be affected by this bug.

16. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Uh you do realize what SUPPORT is for right? A PROBLEM. And since you're using step 4 your resolution isn't the norm.
    Last but not least:
    STATUS
    This behavior is by design.
    Bug?
    Sheesh.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  17. biggerx

biggerx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    Yeah a bug in Microsoft's operating system. Not my hardware. Just google "WEI is stuck" etc. It's a pretty common occurrence.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Uh yeah, your system includes your OS too.

Get it? Got it? Good!!!

LOL

19. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    Install XP problem solved :) .

20. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Advice indeed but not a "fix all". Not everyone wants to re-load a completely new OS to solve a simple problem. Sorta like getting rid of mice with a sledge hammer. Overkill to solve a prob. I give it a 2.5.

I ran into the same problem until I used a WHQL driver. Somehow the OS sees it as viable. Where on the other-hand a non WHQL driver is seen as foreign in some instances. Betas are betas. Sorta like a "let's see how this works and we'll read forums for the feedback. then we'll tweak it and send it to Microsoft." Out pops a WHQL driver that the OS sees as a "good to go" and no flags get raised.