Help with sound card choice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by traft, Apr 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have no doubts that cheap X-Fi produces quite poor sound quality compared to Prelude, D2X and STX for example. If you have at least decent speakers you should notice the difference and it is enough to justify the price for those who appreciate sound quality.

2. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There are many cards that are superior the Creative X-fi's. You don't need $4,000 in speakers to hear the differences either.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I know exactly what you said, but you seem to keep trying to change what your saying. Ok, so now, your saying that there are better cards then the X-Fi X-Music but the differences are so small that you can hardly hear them?

Same thing really.

I can hear the difference between these cards easily and I don't have $4K worth of speakers. To note, many of the people around here aren't using PC speakers either.

Many others can hear the differences also and if you try and tell people they are not hearing the differences they are going to call you on it.

So perhaps it is you that doesn't seem to understand the subject properly of what does or does not fall within the parameters of human hearing.

If your going to post BS, then prepared to get called on it and it won't matter if you do or don't want to debate it or not.

As for what you will or won't stand for, I won't stand for people posting bad information like this in the forums when they have no clue what they are talking about.

4. Tinuva

Tinuva Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce™ 8800 GTS Fat
    Ok here is a better question. Why buy an X-Fi Xtreme Music while you have crap speakers?
    Sure the answer is you won't hear the difference.

BUT what if you decided to buy the Prelude/HDAV or whatever, and go, hey I like my sound card so much maybe I should upgrade my speakers now to hear the full capacity of the soundcard?

Look right now he is buying a soundcard. If he has some cash to spare now, why not buy the better card, because you know down the line you are going to upgrade another piece of equipment on your machine.

To buy the Xtreme Music while you could've bought the HDAV or whatever, is a waste of time and money. Because then down the line he has to buy another soundcard and speakers if he wants to upgrade instead of just speakers.

And all of the above is my opinion, and one doesn't need to know anything about anything to think logically.

5. traft

traft Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RTX 3080
    Intersting how my ask for help turned into a debate well whatever lol. I know I don't plan to buy high end great speakers just better headphones down the line. But I can say that I will get better home theater setup then the crap I have now which is where a better sound then onboard HD would help. Cause I connect my TV as a second monitor with audio connected to it and TV is connected to stereo for movies or anime. So yes if I can save enough i'll buy something better but most likely all get a creative x-fi for budget. Not to mention if I plan to spend 150+ on a sound card I think i'd get one of the following first New CPU, New Motherboard, New GPU, or New Monitor.

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Its like that, simple question turn a whole thread into a brawl room fight heh.thats what we do here at guru3d ;).

7. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I suggest buying the best source you can because speakers or heapdhoens can always be upgraded. Where as if your soundcard is not very good your limited by that fact.

According to that guy, he is saying your Prelude only provides "minescule" improvements over the discontinued entry level X-Music and the prelude is a pointless upgrade. What do you think about that?

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Don't worry about it. Some people talk about subjects they know nothing about. If I didn't call him on it somebody else would have, if not most of the fourm.

If your going to buy a soundcard buy one of the newer ones that has the features list you need. You might aswell save and get the one you need or want right off the bat instead of buying a lower quality one then upgrading.

9. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    If I talked brash like you guys I could convince people of my point to, but I'd rather not call all of your opinions BS. Just let both sides be, and stop trying to use insults as a way to convince people of your opinion.

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Here is the kicker. Why pay for a sound card to only emulate something you can just buy with Creative? Let me guess, you're anti-creative, trust me I can tell as it is pretty obvious. Why people such as yourself are biased against Creative I'll never understand. They make good sound cards and have been making great sound cards for years. It would be like not buying an NVIDIA card and buying something else then emulating something Nvidia already does the best..LOL you follow?

11. UnclePappi

UnclePappi Banned

GPU:
    Asus 680 2gb 1250mhz
    Of course the speakers are more important, but when you get good speakers don't you want to have good sound going through them? The higher the quality of speakers the more you notice when crap is sent through. Hell I can tell the difference on my **** speakers creative itrigue 3300's. When I hook it up to my home theater it's really worlds apart from onboard. I can just imagine how it's gonna be when I upgrade this extreme music.

I have an Onkyo 605(soon to be upgraded also) and I've ran the exact same mp3 through the Onkyo and through the extreme music and there is also a big difference between those two.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I am not anti-creative,I got sick of buying creative cards and wanted something none creative.Then I wanted features that no creative card had like swaping op-amps on both I/V and buffer and I can careless if it not real EAX3-5 and emulated back.I may had lost actuall EAX3-5 but I gain Pure audio quailty. I knew what I was loosing when I went from my Prelude to my HDAV.

I even suggest a forte if he wanted actual eax3-5 but that seem that not enough for Pro-creative people who think, people should buy only creative cards nothing esle.The op has muiti options even if DSGX emulates it. If I was Anti-creative, I wouldnt even recommand a auzentech forte since it has a X-FI chipset.Heck I would had never bought a Xtreme music when it came out then not even a prelude so forth.Then I wouldnt even took the Xtreme gamer from my dad comp and put it into my other comp. Then I would had thrown out my old A2/zs and sb live cards thats laying around.

Why pay for something you can get with creative? Simple if you want something that isnt on a creative card you buy something esle, even if that something esle can emulate eax3-5. That just a extra for me because I kind of stop worrying about having eax4-5. I had nothing buy creative cards, so any thing i'm a fan of creative but choosed to pick something esle this time around. If creative had the pcb and components that Asus xonar used then I prolly be sitting with a X-FI once again if it did.

I recommand both cards because op might want to know the other options instead of forcing creative cards down people throat, it gives to a option to pick what he wants along with pro and cons. People like you take that as a insult or something then get on some one over it.

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    No, not an insult, it is just it seems to be the fad to "hate" anything Creative has. I can't count how many times I have read guys saying they hate Creative and anything they release. I have never been able to figure that one out. Guys will run out and buy sound cards that cost more cash just to avoid Creative. Why? The argument seems to be bloated drivers or something. Again, can't figure out what the big deal is because anything you don't want you just simple uninstal, or when you are installing the drivers you select what features you want only. That simple rerally right?

I have personally owned every major Creative sound card with the exception of the new X-Fi series. The reason I haven't replaced my aging Audigy2 Zs with an X-Fi is due to the fact tjhat for the life of me I can'rt find any decent X-Fi cards that are PCI only. All seem to be PCI-E express. I have a P5Q motherboard and both my PCI-E express slots are directly underneath my main PCI-E express 2.0 slot and my 9600GT cooler covers one of those slots and almost covers the remaining one. I guess if I had to I could still use that slot but I don't want to effect my airflow to my video card. Does X-Fi have any Titainium PCI only cards?

14. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Considering I have tested most of the cards we are talking about and I can notice big differences between many of them, Yes, sorry I am calling BS.
    If I didn't sombody else would have. I don't need anything negative to convince people that your wrong, You have done that yourself. That and most people are a bit smarter then your suggesting.
    Oh yes, and of course the idea that the entire soundcard world is suffering from delusions...or the ones that own better soundcards then a X-Music anyway.

I suggest you keep this opinion to yourself....atleast if you plan on being taken serious in any audio forum that deals with soundcards.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Nope, the only X-FI cards that are PCI only, are the Auzentech X-FI prelude and then the Non Titainium Creative X-FI cards.

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216

Why buy a Creative card when I can get the same features from a card that sounds...BETTER. I mean if your stuck on hardware gaming features.
    It has nothing to do with avoiding Creative is has to do with buying the soundcards that have the features and sound quality people want.
    There are many guys in this forum that moved from Creative X-fi's to a X-fi Prelude and have never looked back.

17. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    This is why I'm still using an 4 year Audigy2 Zs lol!

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    The technology in the A2 is much older then 4 years.

You said you owned every "major" creative card except the X-fi series.
    Most of the crap really started around the X-fi series.

19. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    I don't know what you're hearing that sounds like crap. Onboard sound, sounds like crap for the most part. MP3's sound good games sound the way they should, movies sound great--what is it your hearing?

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Read the post, The driver issues, people complaining about this and that most of that "crap" started when the X-fi's came out, or atleast it hit the fan then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.