ATI Catalyst 9.4 driver Download and Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Decane, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Benke99

Benke99 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 1GB
    There will be future driver support for older cards. Only difference is that it wont be released every month (more like every 3rd month). Remember that Win 7 is still in beta and that AMD states:

Note: The Windows 7 driver is not final and is provided "as is." It is not supported by AMD, and may contain software bugs. It has not completed full AMD testing. Use of this software is at your own risk.

So by the time Win 7 hits the market I'm sure we'll have working S-video out and full support for older cards.

2. PaulvH

PaulvH Member Guru

GPU:
    2x XFX HD5870 H²O-EK CF
    If you are referring to the fix being the usage of a profile:
    That doesn't fix this bug anymore in the 9.3 nor the 9.4 driver.
    Every time when the PC is started up or rebooted, the profile is loaded ok, but still the 2nd (idle) GPU is in 3D clock mode, even when this is a custom clock setting ... (both CCC and RivaTuner readings confirm this)
    It only returns to 2D mode after a 3D application has run.
    And since I do not always want to start immediately with a game or so, this is still a very annoying bug.
    This 2D/3D clock bug is present since the 8.9 series of drivers. Incredible that ATI can't fix this stupid bug in more time than you need to grow a baby ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Scoop

Scoop Active Member

GPU:
    R2900 X2
    I tried alsorts to get the fix sorted on my x2 and nearly give up and returned to the 9.1 drivers however I did mange to get it working.

Create a profile
    In the user appdata local ati ace folder open the profiles folder and open the profile with notepad.
    Now you need to edit coreclocktarget_0 and memoryclocktarget_0 want_0 values. I changed mine from 50700 to 50600 for the core clock and 50000 to 49999 on the memory clock. Save the text file then goto CCC and enable the profile, you can tell if it works by checking core 2 in the overdrive section, it jumps from the 3d clocks down to the ones you have just edited.

The other thing I did when this profile was enabled was to edit the default profile as the same and reboot, then when windows restarts it uses the default profile with no heat up and 2d 3d bug. You can then delete the user profile you created and it should be sorted. May be a bit long way round but I found this was the only way i could get rid of the 2d3d bug.

Regards
    Scoop

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    for the 2d clocks i had to set the clocks to 500/475 , any higher then 475 woudnt work for me somehow. playing a opengl game doesnt raise it to 3d clocks, so its still broken somehow.

5. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    As far as I remember ETQW did work properly. Try renaming the OpenGL game's executable to ETQW.exe and see if it works.

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well thats the problem, i think i tried it with doom, i got artifacts all over the place, or a crash :(
    other games just crashed from the start :(
    i even tried the opengl .dll from 9.2 9.1 and 8.12 catalists. nothing worked for me

7. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    I'll have a look at it tonight. Maybe I can reproduce the problem.

8. Hyvry1

Hyvry1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7900XTX
    The second card shouldn't be running in 2D mode. I have a thermaltake power express and it turns on an LED light for each of the graphics cards when they are on. Only one is lit when i'm on my desktop and the 2nd will light up in game. Although both fans spin at all times.

9. Nitrius

Nitrius Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 580
    Anyone?

10. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

Couple of questions, which OS are your running?

What previous graphics card/cards were you running?

With you previous graphics card/cards were you running any profile?

I saw this problem before, but it involved a user who had a crossfire setup and then went single card. He had a custom profile to set core and fan speeds on his crossfire rig, upon installing a new single card OD was gone. CCC disabled OD because the settings in the profile weren't compatible with his new single card.

11. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  12. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Those are his current specs, and yes I can see them.

Now can you read? Cause I asked him about his previous setup, before the 4890?

13. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Have to say the installer was crap. I ended up using the update driver from properties path and directing it to the ATI install folder setup via the installer program. Over clocking is fine on Windows 7 with my 4870.

14. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    You're right, that came off a little harsh. I'm sure it's safe to assume that he uninstalled his previous drivers before he installed the 4890. That's an SOP for anyone upgrading their graphics card. If he didn't, that's pretty dumb. For all we know, he may have had an Nvidia card previously.

15. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    not everyone knows this. help them out, dont call them dumb.

16. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    Well, lets see. He can overclock his CPU and system in general so that means he has to have advanced computer knowledge so we can safely assume he's not dumb nor did I say that. I said that not uninstalling your graphics drivers and reinstalling the new ones on a graphics card upgrade is dumb, that's not implying the person is. Now the 4890 series has a specific driver package and are not compatible with the 4800 series drivers.

My recommendation is to uninstall his drivers and run a sweeper program like Driver Sweeper and install them clean.

17. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    @WhiteLightning: Had a moment to spare. I've just tested ETQW with 9.3 using two instances of GPU-Z for each GPU and it seems to work properly. The game switches both GPUs to 3D mode and is using both GPUs properly. It also switches back to 2D-mode properly when exiting the game.

Gonna try 9.4 now. Hang on.

18. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ok cheers for testing :) i somehow think my windows maybe fubar since i dont remember 9.3 to be working ok for me.

19. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    No problem, sir ;)

BTW: 9.4 seems to be working fine too. No issues found with OpenGL. Using Vista x64.

20. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    ok thx :) that means a reinstall of windows for me tonight lol :)