Radeon 4890 with Thermaltake DuOrb VGA - anyone tried it?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by CoreyPL, Apr 7, 2009.

1. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Hi all :)

I will get my freshly ordered HIS Radeon 4890 in a day or two. Now I have PowerColor Radeon 4850 with ThermalTake DuOrb VGA installed. This cooler is great - 37 deg C in IDLE, 57 deg C on full load (FurMark) with fans lowered to minimum.

The case is, that I want to keep the cooling and put it on 4890. Anyone tried or even heard if it's possible? The PCB of 4890 has some modifications comparing to 4850/70 model, but are the cooler mounting holes in the same place? The rest is doable - I have plenty of little radiators, that I can put on RAM and power section (just like in 4850).

So, if anyone know something on the subject, please let me know. If not, I will be testing this in max. 2 days :)

2. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    if the duorb dosent atatch to any thing but the chip then it will moast likely fit as long as the crew holes are in thesame place

3. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    This is my main concern - anyone can verify the spacing of the holes on Radeon 4890 default PCB?

4. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    well couldent you compair when you get the new card or wouldeny you be buyig it if your cooler dosen fit?

5. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Yes, I will be comparing it when the card will be delivered - it's already ordered. Just wanted to know if anybody that has it tried to change cooling on it. If it won't fit I will look for another cooling solution. I put quiet on the first place. But maybe reference cooler will surprise me? :) As for now I have to check if my computer's lights are lit, to be sure it's running - everything is silenced (modded) by me :D

6. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    nice well myn dont run at all :D

cuz of the stupid fu**ing motherboard is dead and when its onits like a hoover that the problem with sli/Xfire

7. Nafets1

Nafets1 Active Member

GPU:
    The TT DuOrb will fit just fine on the HD4890. The mounting holes are in the same place as on HD4850/70 cards.

You'll just need to figure out how to properly cool the VRM area on the HD4890. I can guarantee it runs much hotter than on your current HD4850.

Good luck...

8. CoreyPL

CoreyPL Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080 Super WC
    Nafets1, thx for confirmation. I will have to check that reference cooler design to see, if my radiators will be enough for the power section. TT DuOrb's one of the fans is blowing air directly on the place where the power section is, so maybe it won't need massive radiators. So I'll just wait till I have my card and then I will try to write something more about it.

9. LuxZg

LuxZg Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4890
    Let me give you a piece of advice.. Try using it with stock cooler for a few days, maybe tweaking the fan/clocks with ATT/RivaTuner.
    If you're not satisfied after that, do a cooler switch.

Why?
    Because I've switched my HD4870 reference cooler for Accelero S1 + 2x120mm fans. Only after adding a pair of better fans have I had the temperatures that were satisfying, but than I had too much noise.. :/ Could have probably just kept the reference cooler, but that's all now just a far far history :)

10. worthy

worthy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 ATI hd 4870 512s
    I can guarantee that duorb will run even hotter than the stock crap.
    Especially on a 4870.

11. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    :puke2:
    ... duorb