T6100 Subwoofer too loud ?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by lenix, Apr 5, 2009.

1. lenix

lenix Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Hello,

I got this budget 5.1 system ( T6100 ) and I'm hating how the subwoofer is too loud. ( It's fine playing some songs, but on some bass-heavy songs its not really clear and there is too much bass )
    Anybody got any experiences with this subwoofer ?

I have the volume control on the sub on its minimum volume and the subwoofer volume control in the sound program to its minimum too.

Is there a way to fix this thing?

Thanks in advance

2. Coolchris

Coolchris Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 512mb GForce 8800GT
    I think the operative word is "budget". To be honest you really do get what u paid for. The only thing I could suggest is to mess with an equalizer if you are listening to music..other than that I would save up for better speakers if you are serious about your sounds.

3. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Have you turned the volume all the way up while leaving the sub all the way down?

Like Coolchris, said what about the equalizer settings?

If you have realtek onboard, have you tried the bass management feature?

4. lenix

lenix Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Volume is on like 40-50% and the sub is all the way down yet it's powerful.

Equalizer settings ? I use winamp to listen to my music and I couldn't find any good equalizer preset.

And about the bass management, weird thing it's only available on Vista and not Xp ( Same driver version ) but anyhow I'm on vista now and the feature really eats a lot of bass to the point that i feel the bass is too low so there is no solution in-between.

Thanks for the comments though, really appreciated

5. Spezzy

Spezzy Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7800GTX 256 525/1400
    Lower your crossover a bit, try around 70hz-80hz. Also, you could stuff the enclosure with polyfill, you can get that at Walmart, if lowering crossover doesn't help.

6. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
  7. HellsAn631

HellsAn631 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 295 715/1250
    did you try the bass management feature with the sub turned up?

otherwise a good eq will get rid of all your problems (or should)

8. astrallite

astrallite Guest

GPU:
    S3 Savage 2MB
    It's a common trait of most multimedia systems. Due to size constraints, the satellites can't handle the lower midrange, so the sub is asked to produce it. Unfortunately, its as bad as the satellites in this regard.

The reason your sub sounds "strong" despite a low volume is because while the sub is trying to play a 150hz tune, it'll resonate at a different frequency, and sometimes this resonance is louder than the actual note its trying to hit.

So while you may have turned the gain down for the actual music, most of the subs output at this point is resonant distortion. It sounds like its overpowering the music because its not even part of the music to start with, just unintended noise being generated by the driver.