9.3's are up

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by m.3ck, Mar 18, 2009.

1. giangy11

giangy11 New Member

GPU:
    hd3650
    why doesn't amd puma platform work with windows seven?

2. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Can anyone confirm 3d clocks not going up, while launching a opengl application ?

3. KBDE

KBDE Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI TRIO RTX 4900
    Yes, as i posted before. Clock bug cannot be fixed with opengl either.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Thats a crappy bug, you could use ATT (ATITrayTools) and just force the 3D clock speeds.

5. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    will that work for opengl ? because direct3d is working just fine (via ati profile).

6. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Driversweeper, certain PC configurations and ATI cards do not appear to play nice. You cannot blame ATI if you insist on hosing your registry and system files with a third party program when you update your drivers.

Some paranoid code junkies here will try to tell you otherwise but there is no need to uninstall or sweep when updating ATI drivers as ATI's install manager takes care of everything in one click. THAT IS WHAT IT IS DESIGNED TO DO. You will even keep all of your settings if you just run the installer without uninstalling first.

The only way to fix the install problems you are having is to re-install your OS...... Simple as that......

7. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I agree, i'm sure modded drivers increase the chances of borking too. I run 9.2 atm, previously I had problems with the 9.1 AND 9.2 because it had a conflict with an anti-cheat tool for medal of honor (DMW) I had to revert back to 8.12, as advised by dmw.

I re-install windows from time to time, and I decided to give 9.2 another chance, and there was no conflict anymore.

I have not used driver sweeper for a very long time, and I would not try a beta driver or a modded driver anymore.

8. SilentXS

SilentXS Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 512GDDR5
    you got a point there , it really makes me laugh to see people getting too excited at every new driver release... priceless !! lol and too F***ING STUPID !

9. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    as mentioned about expecting more fps out of games ect isnt something to be expected, other things are. such as gd full avivo support on vista x64, and things that should work properly... working properly. breaking things that worked previously ect....
    as ive always said i have had the exact gaming experience i expected from my card when i bought it, so those things havent really been an issue for me. it definitely is better than the 8800gts 640 i had when it comes to gaming
    bang for buck aspect of things,no complaints this round. although now that prices have gone down substantially i probably woulda went the other way if i was just now making the purchase

10. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    Actually, ATI and nVidia both say you should uninstall first. The installer is designed to install the software, not get files that are in use out of the way.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Sure, you'll keep your settings by installing over the old drivers, but you also keep old files that were open and in use, so you're not REALLY updating the driver, you're updating inf files and whatnot, and possibly causing conflicts. That is why uninstalling is important--it puts it into standard VGA mode, and stops using the files it would be trying (and failing) to overwrite otherwise.

I tend to use Driver Sweeper just to be safe since it doesn't adversely affect MY system, and I like to clean up after an uninstall, but just stopping the system from using the driver should be sufficient. I think it's dangerous to assume just installing over in use files is actually a good idea. Follow the manufacturer's own advice.

11. JaxMacFL

JaxMacFL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4090 OC
    Well said!

Link inpart: "Uninstall Any Previous Display Drivers (If Applicable)

Before installing the latest Catalyst drivers, any previous drivers must be uninstalled."

Straight from the horse's mouth. All '(If Applicable)' means that if it is a new os install then of course there would be no previous drivers to uninstall.

12. fed

fed New Member

GPU:
    4850x 2gb
    Hey all,

I've had an odd problem with the 9.3's, haven't had this card for long (and frankly as of late been wondering why I switched from green to red).

Since 9.3 every time I reboot I am forced to 640 x 480 resolution, even clicking the windows pop-up offering to adjust my resolution only yields 640 x 480 again. I can however force 1680 x 1050 through CCC. Additionally, anytime a game is exited and I return to the desktop, I am again at 640 x 480.

I have tried reinstalling 9.3 (normally & safemode)
    I've tried using Driver Sweeper
    I've tried reverting back to 9.2.
    Even tried replacing all default resolution x & y keys to 1680 x 1050.

All to no avail. There seems to be other users with this issue as well, see here.

I appreciate any help on this. Thanks.

13. Gogeta_SSJ4

Gogeta_SSJ4 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870x2
    Since i updated too 9.2 or 9.3 most of the website is visit look like this

[​IMG]

anyone got a clue what could be wrong
    i use Windows XP pro btw

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  14. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    The install manager stops all running processes, removes the old driver and then installs the new one. All you are doing by uninstalling first is adding a reboot into the equation, and wiping out all of your settings and profiles. I have many profiles and would find this irritating.

If you run the update without uninstalling first and select custom install the installer will show what driver you have already installed and ask you if you want to update it. If you select yes and watch the drivers install progress you will see the desktop revert to VGA mode as the running process is stopped, then removed before the new one is added.

The article discusses removing LEGACY drivers first which is correct as they are not compatible with this process......

From the very article you posted......:banana:

If you are confused as to what a legacy driver is then read this from ATI's own site.....

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/legacy-end-of-life-components.aspx

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB

Tried updating your monitor drivers?

16. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    anyone found a solution yet to the opengl bug ?

17. ForgedReality

ForgedReality Master Guru

GPU:
    HD4870x2OC + 9600GT PhysX
    Nevermind.

18. googlegod

googlegod Member Guru

GPU:
    I Could Tell You But Then
    For the 3850 agp video card the 9.3 hotfix works! and so did 9.2 hotfix ! Better late than ever! This should keep this old pc running a little longer ! Not sure which driver is best , its just a matter of will it "work or crash and burn"

FYI the last driver that worked was 8.6 hotfix , so waiting six months for a new driver to try the newest demos is just the way it is for a diehard ATI agp card.

Also the X-Fi XtremeMusic drivers look right for the first time ever ! There used tobe a little white line in the upper left hand corner of the lcd display when the X-Fi XtremeMusic control panel was active , now its finally gone..

By the time you get it all to work right its outdated !!!!:3eyes:

DOOM 3 plays better than ever !!!!!:banana:

19. ares71

ares71 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870 512 MB
    Yes, you were right.
    I upgraded W7 6801 to 7057 and everything works just fine. Driver % CCC!

20. Monen

Monen New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 (AGPx8)
    Sorry to ask such a noob question, I have a Sapphire HD3850 AGP card. I thought all I had to do to upgrade the display drivers (no CCC) was go to ATI, select WinXP/Radeon/Radeon HD 3850 from their Download Graphics Drivers choice thingy and in Option 2 area download the standalone 9.3 display driver. What is the 9.3 hotfix?

Is there something special I should be doing since I have the AGP version? Or, is this needed for games? Sorry, I don't really understand what the difference is between the normal 9.3 display driver (I thought already included the 3850) and the 9.3 hotfix drivers?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2009