Asus Rampage Extreme II x58 SLI Issues

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Ambush083, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    On http://www.hardocp.com/ they did some kind of test between 16x 16x 16x and 16x 16x 8x or 1x I forgot. The non all 16x was a little faster. I'm not sure I care too much on the lanes, but for a proper config would try to get the highest, anyway.

2. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    At this point, I have read so many threads about solutions, that I think it is luck if a Vista based system works.

I did three clean Vista installs, trying different installations of drivers and cards, where things worked temporarily and then stopped.

Based on Marri's post and my Windows 7 install, I would agree that Vista, Nvidia and the x58s have issues.

As soon as I installed the 185.20 drivers, Windows 7 showed the SLI compatible system ballon. Put the Bridge on, and away we go.

3. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Well, I got mine to install, but the problem is if I make BIOS edits. It will go away. Am I being too picky here. I did OC it before I did tri sli, however. To prevent an uninstall. I don't know what the heck.

4. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Ok, I've tried SLI'ing 2 x 8600GTS and same issue except worse. They only SLI'ed once and after reboot stopped SLI'ing. I've tried several reinstalls and its not giving the option of SLI. I think its the motherboard...

These cards were also tested on another system and worked flawlessly except the fact that they are weak. LOL.

5. fhertlein

fhertlein Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 670 SLI
    I say give Windows 7 a try. I was using it before and then wanted to give Vista another go with the x58 and SLI, so Windows 7 is stable.

I will go out on the line and state that you will have your SLI available after Windows 7 and the 185.20 driver install.

6. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I will try Windows 7 since I have it installed on another drive. Hope my driver install for Vista stays since I just reinstalled it all over again. It will stay forever on Vista, I bet. Just, when I change or edit my BIOS.

I'm picky in this, I know. Maybe Windows 7 will fix the issue. That would be so awesome. I would just upgrade to Windows 7 and not have to replace hardware.

::Yells:: Cheeee hoooo! (Samoan)

7. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Ok, I don't even like video games that much anymore. Stupid 3 way issues. What a dissapointment, you know? You think by putting up all that money for 3 GPUs you could enjoy yourself. It doesn't stay installed anymore, but I would have to constantly reinstall the drivers. So I don't even bother now, I just use one card.

Anyway, I know I've been saying this for awhile now, but I'm going to do the step up. Its less than a hundred dollars price difference, so why not? It would also eliminate the GPU's as the problem. After all, they are all base GTX 280's from EVGA, but, the clocks in Precision are all different! One is 602mhz like it should be, the second is like 648mhz and the third is something else. I tried to look at the volts using EVGA's volt proggie, but I'm not comfrotable messing with it plus it causes the drivers on my system to uninstall. What was the point of spending all that money?

8. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Update:

I'm going to use EVGA step up program this Thursday 03/19. I'm going to eliminate the GPU's as the source of the problem. I'll be stepping up to the GTX 285's. Once I do that, I will try the Windows 7 OS to see whether or not TRI-SLI works. I don't think it will because if I can recall correctly I did this before with my GTX 280's.

After I receive my cards and it still doesn't work I will try buying another Power Supply. I will overclock hardcore (as much as you can without water cooling), then revert back to normal settings. Keep tweaking my BIOS and sending it back to default. If TRI-SLI stays installed even after I get a crash in a game that reboots my computer without me doing anything, then I know it was the PSU. It does make weird noises now, not all the time, but sometimes. It was never TRI-SLI certified anyway. If it isn't the problem, then I know for sure its the motherboard and would send back the power supply to New Egg which is where I plan on purchasing it and get a new motherboard. I'm probably going with an EVGA this time even though the ASUS one is beastly.

9. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    EVGA's Warrenty / Step Up Policey :bang:

I'm stuck at work, bored. So, I did some research. EVGA will not let you step up if you bought your product from an unauthorized seller such as eBay. That's what I did with one of the 3 cards. This is horrible news for me. However, I did e-mail the seller to ask if he has his own store and also inquired if he is or is not an EVGA Authorized seller. Awaiting his reply.

10. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    Hey guys , just wanted to say..
    I dont have this issue with TRi SLi on the same board..
    It's been more then 20 days since I've been running TRi on the Rampage II..
    Using Vista 64bit , SP1 !
    Drivers 182.06 !
    Bios 0805 !

11. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    I'd never pay over £300 on a board... that's pathetic. If I were you, I would of got the eVGA x58. I'll be getting the latest eVGA x58 when I upgrade to Core i7. One thing, eVGA has the best customer service (which is awesome) and very reliable. eVGA is a favourite right now in the Core i7 systems. I'm not flaming you or nothing. I've heard the R2E has some issues so that kind of sucks being the price it is etc. Too high in my opinion.

12. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    hehe , I'm glad to say the RE2 is an excellent board all round and does live up to it's price tag in many ways..
    eVGA maybe great but I wouldn't be sure on saying less about the RE2..
    It clocks great , looks excellent (unlike the eVGA) , soild build quality (unlike the eVGA) , has the option of running a sound card with 3 Way SLi unlike the eVGA x58 (Sound to me matters alot) , comes with a great bundle too (unlike the eVGA)
    For many that maybe nothing great but all that works well enough for me..

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  13. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Well, I've ordered the power supply I was orginally going to buy which happens to be TRI SLI certified, BTW. Funny how that works. Thermaltake Toughpower W0133. That thing is beastly. I hope its just the PSU, I don't feel like taking the MOBO out and swapping it. Call me lazy. I'll let you guys know. Thanks for your comments and feedback. Still no word on the EVGA step up, but most likely I won't be doing it.

14. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    Well, I finally installed the new Power Supply that is supposedly 3 WAY SLI compatible. It didn't fix my problem. So, then it has to be the MOBO. Which, really sucks because everything else work on it. It just will not retain the Display Drivers after reboot. So odd. Anyone else have any input?

15. Marri

Marri Guest

GPU:
    what bios r u using...
    Is it the same one as mine... I posted my board's version above..
    I cant see the 16x 8x 8x option..
    It is grayed out , systems running without issues..

I've tried atleast roughly 3 to 4 drivers , I dont get this issue upon reboot..

16. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    This is pissing me off to no end. I'm going to return the PSU and get a new MOBO. Maybe that will fix it. If not, we know where the problem lies, the GPUs which are covered under warrenty.

17. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    do you have the video card in 1 and 2 pcie slot????

18. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI
    I've still have yet to make time to return the motherboard. I'm going to call Asus on Thursday. If they won't cover it, then I'll buy EVGA. I've ALWAYS had issues with Asus. I'm through with these guys. Also, their customer support is horrible. They speak to you as though you were an idiot.

19. satan_sli

satan_sli New Member

GPU:
    EVGA 285 SLI
    I had this issue for 2 weeks and have solved it. That's why I registered to reply to you.

As you mentioned previously about your cards being out of sync with speed ratings. That made me think as I couldn't get 2 BFG OC 280's to work after reboot. I checked them with GPUZ, and they were off.

I went to fry's and bought 2 EVGA 285's that had sequential serial numbers. Installed them all at once and no problems.

COld booted to windows for the 2nd day. Reformatted with them in sli and golden.

Windows 7 RC1 is my OS.

I suppose you could just flash the GPU BIOS with the same settings and you solve the issue.? I didn't want to go there as I returned the 280's.

I just did my 285's to tighten the memory timings.=P

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  20. Ambush083

Ambush083 Member

GPU:
    EVGA / GTX 280 / TRI SLI

Look, you are playing devil's advocate here. Sorry, just wanted to say that because of your name. Anyway, I did a restore of my OS to Vista 32bit and had it "GOLDEN". First time try, installed 1 card at a time. I'm like, wow. Either SP2 for Vista fixed it or 32bit is more cooperative with my hardware. Anyway, I got an error in Crysis and they said its an issue that might best be solved by reinstalling my video cards. I tried it and now I'm not getting 3 way sli again. So jacked up man. I'm trying to do what I did before when I got it to work and writing the steps taken on notepad. I'll let you know. It didn't matter about the clocks. I used EVGA to fix that, but where do I get the BIOS flash stuff?