Graphics card shipments plunged 42.7 percent in Q4 2008

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Jon Peddie Research JPR reports shipments of add-in-board graphics cards dropped to 15.20 million in the final quarter of 2008 down 42.7 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2007. Revenue was down...

More...

2. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    Hopefully this will push developers to OPTIMIZE better...

3. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    That's no certainty, all we know is shareholders going to want to still make money. And I'm not really sure that something GOOD will come out of this

4. alphaphotek

alphaphotek Master Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 260 SLI
    As long as EA stays the **** out of pc market as much as it can, I'll be alright :puke2:.

5. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    It's not really surprising that it dropped, but almost 43% is a lot.

6. tupelo20

tupelo20 Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260 SSC in SLI
    Why am I not suprised ATi hasn't come with anything new after the HD4870 & X2 and all Nvidia does is rebranding at the moment, 8800GTS 640MB became 9800GTX which became GTX2... something.

I think now we can see an actual increase because of recent pricedrops, remember a GTX280 was 500 Euro's at launch now you pick them up for 250 Euro's same as the GTX260 300+ at launch now 225 for the core216.

I'm not buying top notch cards at launch anymore you can have SLI for the same price or crossfire if you wait 6 months.

While games don't max out the cards outthere only when you play insane resolutions of 1900x1200 and up with AA & AS maxed out

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Until NVIDIA and ATi both pump out a new series of graphics card, we won't see people going to stores and buy a graphics card the way they did back a year or two ago. Especially with the current economic conditions. It doesn't make sense to spend money on incremental performance upgrades. People would rather opt for a leap upgrade instead.

deltatux

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

People are worried about whether they'll still have a job or be able to keep up their mortgage replayments in the months to come so it's not really surprising they don't want to spend hundreds on their computers right now.

9. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    excatly, i was saying the samething 2 weeks ago in the thread of "Ati Radeon HD 4890 and Radeon HD 4890 X2"below:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=290156

and Iarwain and Steve- enjoyed baching my opinion. anyways, 40% is a big slap in the face of the people who disagreed with me back then. anyhow, its clear that releasing an HD 4890 or 4890 X2, or a GTX 275 in the time of recession is a bad thing, people in a recession are afraid to spend on upgrading there PCs, car (Chrysler and Ford going bankrupt for instance) or buying "leisure" accessories for there home.. this justifies the big drop in sales.

I for example, postponed my Core i7 build bcse im really worried about my job right now.. the company isnt going so good :S :(

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  10. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    And don't forget the "credit card crisis". The average American has a credit card debt of 8K and credit card companies want their money back I read last week in a newspaper.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    well look at the economy though. thats the major factor there. it'll go back up again, give it time. i dont think they'll ever stop making high end graphic cards. might just slow it down for a while.