ATI 4870 and connecting to my PSU

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by discerptor, Mar 15, 2009.

1. discerptor

discerptor Member

GPU:
    Gainward 4870 1024MB 'GS'
    Hi everyone!

I've currently got an 8800GTS 320, and I believe it is connected to my PSU using a single power connector. I'm afraid I'm inexperienced when it comes to connecting new hardware up to my PSU, but I want to upgrade to an ATI 4870 1GB and I hear it needs two connectors to my PSU.

The question is: will I be able to connect the 4870 to my PSU? I.e. could my PSU support the two connections required? I think my profile has all the information you need, and here is the link to the PSU specs:

http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/psu_arctic_power_500-600-700.htm

I'm hoping someone can help me because, although I realise the website shows what connectors the PSU has, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense. If anyone could explain it I'd be eternally grateful! :)

2. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    your psu does'nt have the right amount of connectors...however you can buy adapters at best buy...or any pc store in your area..

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  3. discerptor

discerptor Member

GPU:
    Thanks for the quick reply dominant1!

Do you know what sort of adapter I would need to get in that case? Would it be a 4pin molex to 6 pin connector? It looks like the PSU has a few 4pin molexes...or have I got it completely wrong??

4. Iarwain

Iarwain Banned

GPU:
    4890 990//1120
    Yes, it would be a molex to 6 pin adapter.

5. discerptor

discerptor Member

GPU:
    Thank you both very much for your replies, it's a lot clearer in my head. Great forum with great members!

6. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    You shouldn't need to buy the adapters, they usually come with the video card, mine did but I didn't need them anyway.

7. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    You'll get all the necessary cables with your GPU so no need to worry. As long as your PSU supports the wattage/amps that the GPU requires, you're fine. :)

8. dominant1

dominant1 Guest

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
  9. RKOver

RKOver Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 @ 900MHz
    ^^ lol.

10. discerptor

discerptor Member

GPU:

twtaylor, a bit off topic, but I see you've got the same motherboard as I do. Did you ever have any problems with it? For example I can't run 4 sticks of RAM at 800MHz, I have to reduce it to 667. That and nforce driver problems galore!

Oh, and did your 4870 installation go without a hitch?

11. discerptor

discerptor Member

GPU:
    And thanks dominant1. It's a bit small but I get the idea! I did a google myself as a result :)

12. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    I haven't had any problems with the board per se. I'm using 2x2gb sticks of Kingston PC6400 and haven't had any problems. As for the Radeon, this is my second 4870. The first one was faulty and had to be RMA'ed but the one I got back has been performing flawlessly.

13. discerptor

discerptor Member

GPU:
    Ah, well it's all sounding rather rosy! Hopefully it all goes swimmingly. Thanks guys

14. S31Kronos

S31Kronos Member Guru

GPU:
    msi r4870 1gb
    I just bought a 4870 1gb radeon, and it didn't come with a molex to 6 pin adapter. make sure your new card does, or else you'll be running to best buy to get one.