GPU accelerated and enhanced x.264 MKV movie playback [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 11, 2009.

1. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    there is no solution go back to 8.12 for now and lets hope it will be fixed in 9.3 or in a hotfix

2. IceCB

IceCB New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 gt 512
    i cant get the shaders to work on my 8800 gt

3. johnnyxp64nd

GPU:
    plz give more details on your system settings screenshost on you mpc settings, people will not help you if you are not take some time to be more detailed

4. killmess

killmess Member

GPU:
    Zogis 8600gt 256mb
    :d

Options-playback-output-EVR Custom pres.**

**Required for internal subtitle renderer, and pixelshaders.:bang::biggun: :stewpid: :whip:

5. thedesp

thedesp New Member

I follow the article and 720p files work fine.
    But 1080p files are stuttering, unwatchable.
    Anyone has the same problem as me?

My spec is:

C2D T8300 2.4 GHz
    4GB RAM
    Geforce 8400M GS with forceware 179.48

6. johnnyxp64nd

GPU:
    or very slow sometime like they are playing in slow motion?

i still have this issue (althout i dont have any 1080p movies i only play 720p)
    i dont know yet what is it and i have Ati 4850 as you can see.

i think it has to do with VMR 9 in Windows XP(64/86) no matter what driver we have.... i have the same file with the same settings in Vista x64 or x86 in EVR custom (cause VMR9 is only for XP) and all the other settings are the same and the 1080demo clip i have works super. its defenetly a way Microsoft wants as to abandon a very stable os and move to crappy vista..
    driver companies are doint their part too!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  7. thedesp

thedesp New Member

Yes, slow motion.

I use Vista x64 with EVR custom setting BTW.
    I even tried the file labeled "dxva-compliant" and it doesn't make any difference.
    Also, the "dxva-compliant" is stuttering when I use CPU to decode it too. :3eyes:

8. johnnyxp64nd

GPU:
    what MPC HC build do you use? the x64 or the x86? try them both, but x86 has a few more codecs that are supported,

still is a very weird think, and seens we dont have a 100% working driver to test with all that we can do is wait.....and play arround with settings.

what is for sure is that mpc hc in our case is not using the x264 dxva decoder but the x264 software, still as you say it renders very slow!

if i block it it uses the dvix.x264 still not good, if i block dvixx.264 it uses my PowerDVD 8 Decoder and although its normal speed it flashed black every few seconds so no good, if i blick that one too the player says "cannot render" no matter what the 1080p video is NOT decoded by the native x.264(DXVA) decoder! weird! very weird! :bang:

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    When using PowerDVD I only get Hardware acceleration when playing a DVD, even if it is an ISO, but not when playing a normal movie file on my hdd.

Anybody know why that is?

10. thedesp

thedesp New Member

I got the same result for x86 and x64 build.

11. Andyr

Andyr Active Member

GPU:
    2x NVIDIA Geforce 8800GT
    DXVA Question

Hi,

Just thought I would post here.

I have tested some .mkv and .mp4 files, and they are using DXVA according to information and graph when pressing CTRL + J.

Which other files should support this, e.g. does .avi .divx and DVD's support this.

I thought DVD's would although when I tested it, it didn't work.

Any help or information appreciated.

12. Aquinus

Aquinus Member

GPU:
    2x AMD 6870
    Just as a heads up, for DXVA to work on h.264, it needs to be encoded the "right way" for it to be offloaded to the GPU. I think it needs to use the baseline profile when being encoded, when you start mucking with the nitty gritty the GPU doesn't want to deal with the extra and changed crap. It's pretty demanding as far as how it should be encoded.

A DVD is MPEG-2, not H.264. Very little CPU power is required to render a DVD, there really is no point to offloading it to the GPU.

Is it baseline H.264 encoded? Acceleration for 1080p is designed for media encoded similarly to a Blu-Ray disc, so as I said before, it is picky about how it wants to be encoded.

Go to the Play Menu -> Filters -> MPC Video Decoder while the video is playing.
    There is a spot for DXVA Settings.

If it says, "DXVA Mode Not Using DXVA" then the video isn't encoded correctly, and you found your reason. If that section isn't there then your GPU is too antiquated or your drivers are too antiquated to offload to the GPU.

GeForce 8400 or newer for nVidia should be sufficient (although I don't like nVidia for video.)
    Radeon HD 3450 or newer for ATi, however I've heard that some HD 2xxx series have the ability to offload to the GPU, but don't take my word on that. I'll test this once I have one of my old computers back which happens to have a Radeon HD 2600 XT in it.

Your best bet, is if you want to offload 1080p to your video card, you're going to want hardware acceleration. I've found that my C2D E6600 renders off the CPU fine, and if I get something with a high profile, an OC to 3.0Ghz takes care of it. But not everyone has the luxury of a fast processor to the ability to kick it in the rear to make it go faster. I understand cause I've been in that boat.

I will find out what settings are required for DXVA, and I will post the encoding settings required for MediaCoder to re-encode the video properly. Might not be the best option, but it is an option.

13. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    Hi everyone, been a reader for years, bout time I made myself heard also. :D

Since ppl here report DXVA working in xpsp3 with 8.12 drivers, I'd like to know just how the ell did they manage it?

Because, I just rolled back from 9.2 to 8.12 in hope of it working under 8.12, but it just doesent. Used driversweeper (Awesome tool btw) to clense the system of any obsolete files and did a new clean install of the 8.12 drivers.

Went into MPC-HC started up my "heavyest" .mkv, ctrl+j shows no DXVA. Sigh, any suggestions?

Thanx in advance, SnooSnoo.

(and yes its spelled wrong and yes its Futurama ;P)

14. Phalkon30

Phalkon30 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800 GT @ 420x1175 /water
    I'd be curious to hear if anyone has suggestions on 8.12 and XPSP3 also. My other machine runs a 2400XT, and it doesn't work with 9.1. Haven't had time to test with older drivers, but before I do I want to know they work.

15. thedesp

thedesp New Member

How do you get dxva info from ctrl+J?
    I press that and get nothing.
    I use MPC-HC build 908.

16. SnooSnoo

SnooSnoo Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD510
    You need to be playing a movie then press ctrl+j and you get something like that:

[​IMG]

Same build here.

P.S.

Stole that screenshot from a previous poster, hope s(he) doesent mind. :)

17. thedesp

thedesp New Member

tried it, nothing happened :(

18. Liberalism

Liberalism Active Member

GPU:
    2x XFX Radeon HD 6990 QCF
    Wow, you guys need to actually BUY the movies and copyrighted content. I can see from your screen-shots that the files you were playing were obtained through an illegal source.

19. Zicmu

Zicmu Active Member

GPU:
    ATi 5850
    i am so stressed out of this...

I just change my graphic card using 4850. using 8.12 driver version.

yet, it still say "not using dxva".....

arrghh....

20. SergioG28

SergioG28 Member

GPU:
    8800GTS 320 MB (640 MHz/1020 MHz)
    Hi,

I have also been playing around but playing mkv files is not very fluent.
    My system is:
    - Asus M2N68-CM board Nforce 630
    - Athlon X2 5050e CPU
    - 2 GB DDR2
    - HD 4670 1 GB
    - Catalyst 8.12
    - Samsung 40'' LCD (LED)

Playing the movies through the GPU and comparing the playback through the CPU is very obvious. The CPU is much more pleasant (read smoooooooooth) to watch. I use FFdshow for the CPU playback.

Has anyone have an idea why? Maybe I have a component which can't handle the load?

Another question regarding the LCD tv.
    I have set the screen resolution to 1920*1080 at 60Hz. Is this ok?